• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2011
    We are actually in a wet pattern and for this city pretty cold.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2011 edited
    Thor wrote
    Tim, you would have loved Oslo today!

The entire city is basically one big ice rink, since milder weather and rain polished the ice throughout the night. I walked to the hospital earlier today, and had to walk on the car streets since the sidewalks were completely glazed. Crazy. It's also been a record day for the 'car rescue service' (or whatever it's called in English), with 1600 cases in and around Oslo.

The AA. (No, not alcoholics anonymous. wink)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Tim, you would have loved Oslo today!

The entire city is basically one big ice rink, since milder weather and rain polished the ice throughout the night. I walked to the hospital earlier today, and had to walk on the car streets since the sidewalks were completely glazed. Crazy. It's also been a record day for the 'car rescue service' (or whatever it's called in English), with 1600 cases in and around Oslo.

freezing

With the right light conditions it does make for great photo opportunities.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    Maykel has to drive 100 km to work

shocked

That's a long way away!
    Where does he work? Germany???
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Martijn wrote
    That's a long way away!
    Where does he work? Germany???

Is it? I work with a guy who drives 75km to and from home to work 3 days a week.
  2. Working from home does have its advantages!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2011 edited
    smile
    The American sense of scale is slightly different from that of The Netherlands (with the country just being about 200 kilometers wide and 300 kilometers in length).
    And of course the whole of the American infrastructure is geared towards automobility.
    A car is not a vehicle. It's pretty much a way of life.
    (I got some EXTREMELY odd looks when I tried to explain not having a driver's license over there....)

So in both these senses it's a pretty big deal in The Netherlands, where it may be just a minor inconvenience (if that!) in the US.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I know a number of people who commute from Bristol - London daily ( 120 miles ) but then the UK has a good* rail system.

*very debatable slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Working from home does have its advantages!

You said it! biggrin
    <makes another homebrewn cup of cappuccino>
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2011
    Martijn wrote
    smile
    The American sense of scale is slightly different from that of The Netherlands (with the country just being about 200 kilometers wide and 300 kilometers in length).
    And of course the whole of the American infrastructure is geared towards automobility.
    A car is not a vehicle. It's pretty much a way of life.
    (I got some EXTREMELY odd looks when I tried to explain not having a driver's license over there....)

So in both these senses it's a pretty big deal in The Netherlands, where it may be just a minor inconvenience (if that!) in the US.

The exception to your premise is New York City. Many have managed to live without vehicles unlike where I am.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2011
    Cripes! Someone has turned all the lights off here, it's incredibly dark for early afternoon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    Martijn wrote

The exception to your premise is New York City. Many have managed to live without vehicles unlike where I am.
    Tom

Quite right. Quite right.
    I stand corrected.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A little break in the rain today but we're still overcast and rain is coming tomorrow. Temp is in the 50's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2011
    Tis the time of the year for rain and we've got more coming.
    tom
  3. We had our first day of significant snow today. It was not forecast for this part of Wales and so it caught the council out - hence there was no gritting of roads.

The snow was very wet and the temperature was not too cold. This meant that the snow, although lying on the ground, turned very quickly to slush - and was very slippery. I could feel the car slip a couple of times when I was driving too and from town.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Snow here in Belgium too, yesterday. In Brussels at least, but driving north it transformed into rain. I didn't expect it to come already, but what a different snow tires can make on slippery roads.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2011
    Well they keep saying rain but none so far
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2011
    cool and overcast for us today
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2011
    I was looking at our long range forecast and we're expecting 70 for Xmas.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Do they still decorate shop windows in San Diego with snow etc Tom?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Yes they sure do. It is Xmas without snow which is fine by me
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2011
    Cool but sunny this am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2011
    as predicted we'll have a nice sunny Xmas. No snow doesn't bother me at all.
    tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2011
    Drop dead gorgeous today with a high of 72. It is so clear I can see Mexico which is 20 miles away.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2011
    another drop dead gorgeous day in San Diego.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2011
    Very windy (we're probably getting remnants from the hurricane that has caused havoc on the west coast of Norway these last few days) and rainy -- very far removed from a white Christmas.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2011 edited
    Volcanoes, earthquakes, cosmic storms, tsunamis and a return of prehistoric monsters here, another normal christmas. I'd be bothered but I'm too busy listening to THE BIG COUNTRY while making a chicken dinner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2011
    another great weather day although there is a wind shift from east to west allowing the smog to hang around.
    tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2011 edited
    It's winter for almost 10 days now and it hasn't been snowing! Last year we had plenty. I don't like all this warm 10 degrees weather in winters. I don't even freeze in the morning! angry

I WANT SNOW! :snow:
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2011
    you'd hate San Diego then Bregt