• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    Between 1994 and 1998 Horner created a pile of gems.

I'm glad you said gems.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ANDREW LOCKINGTON - journey to the centre of the earth

I edited my own playlist, notably the action cues and the bold statements of the memorable grand main theme and it DOES make for a far better listen.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    Sabrina John Williams

Ahh, what a score. Charming, laid-back and beautiful - just like me.

A throw back score for Williams. A charming, old fashioned score with a wonderful main theme. However, the Moonlight theme irritates the shit out of me. Not that it's a bad tune but it's a blatant and shameful rip off of his "Make Me Rainbows" tune in Fitzwilly. SHAMEFUL!!!

NP: Ben-Hur - Miklos Rozsa

It has kept my attention for sure. The outtake of the Escape is especially thrilling and the Overture is easily one of my favorite Rozsa pieces. And I'm shocked to hear such a wonderful sounding album. While it doesn't hold a candle to some of the more modern recording techniques this score still sounds surprising clear and is perfectly spread out to give you that epic sound we expect from such scores.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Sabrina John Williams

Ahh, what a score. Charming, laid-back and beautiful - just like me.

A throw back score for Williams. A charming, old fashioned score with a wonderful main theme. However, the Moonlight theme irritates the shit out of me. Not that it's a bad tune but it's a blatant and shameful rip off of his "Make Me Rainbows" tune in Fitzwilly. SHAMEFUL!!!

Never heard it, so I couldn't care less. Even if I did hear it, that sort of thing doesn't really bother me most of the time. In fact, now that you've told me, it actually makes the score more interesting for me... a composer revisiting an 'era' of his career that has long since passed is pretty cool thing if you ask me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    A composer revisiting an 'era' of his career that has long since passed is pretty cool thing if you ask me.

Sure... but at least create a new tune.

-Erik-

PS - If you are interested check out THIS THREAD.
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    SP: Ben-Hur - Miklos Rozsa

I'm 41 tracks into this 90 track masterpiece and thank God this release is soooooooooo long. Track after track I keep saying I want more and low and behold there is plenty left! "Attack! [Extended Version]/Ramming Speed!/The Battle, Pts. 1, 2 & 3" is unbeatable. What ferocious action material. Sublime! More... MORE... MORE!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Or you just put the London-Phase IV version on repeat, like I do. biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Or you just put the London-Phase IV version on repeat, like I do. biggrin

Ew no. Great release... yes... but that's not enough. The complete Ben-Hur plays beautifully and has you begging for more!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote

I edited my own playlist, notably the action cues and the bold statements of the memorable grand main theme and it DOES make for a far better listen.

Care to share it? I'm experiencing the same gripes you had with the score, but I'm not familiar enough with the music to be able to make a good playlist. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Care to share it? I'm experiencing the same gripes you had with the score, but I'm not familiar enough with the music to be able to make a good playlist. sad

Well, listen to it again, pick your favorite tracks and only play those from now on. Come on, a little effort here! wink

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Well, listen to it again, pick your favorite tracks and only play those from now on. Come on, a little effort here! wink

-Erik-

Never! See, this is what happened with Eagle Eye with some of you guys! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

Never! See, this is what happened with Eagle Eye with some of you guys! biggrin

But I don't want to listen to that score ever again in any shape or form. But obviously you have some interest in Journey so give it a spin and find the cues that YOU like and make a playlist.

-Erik-
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    I just finished with Christopher Gordon's Circa which is a wonderful smorgasbord of previous Gordon compositions brought together into one piece. Great to hear variations of his Commonweath Games, Sydney A Story of a City, Centenary of Federation music in this context!
    -Erik-

If it's the Circa I'm thinking of, it certainly has the Christopher Gordon voice (elegant, optimistic) which runs through those other works, but I'm not sure I've noticed any melodies overlapping? (Wait - I see his notes say that he did! There you go. Never noticed that. I should listen to Centennary of Federation again.)

Glad to hear you like the Concerto for Bass Trombone. I've always wondered how you'd find it when you got a chance to hear it.

NP: The Ghost and Mrs Muir (Herrmann)

Wonderful. Easily one of the best film scores ever.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2008
    NP : Spider-Man 1 & 2 - Danny Elfman and Christopher Young.

Been listening to the two scores and boy, I don't like them as much as I did. They work like gangbuster in their respective movies, but seems to fall flat now as standalone listening experience. Most of the tender and soft cues leave me bored and yawning. The action cues has that, been there done that, retread feel to them, especially the sequel score, though there are some interesting brass writing within them. In the sequel score, the cues from Christopher Young (for the scenes involving Doc Ock) despite being hugely influenced by the temp tracks, breaks the monotony, and does provide some genuinely exciting writing, if only for a few scant tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - Horner

Exceptional. He hasn't been quite so blatant in his borrowings of late, but it's comparatively easy to get past that when the music's as good as this. Easily the year's best score album.
  2. I'm suspicious. What percentage of material on this album is recycled? Is there anything that jumps out and says - 'You haven't heard ME before!'
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The most beautiful theme is recycled from Swing Kids, and I only know that because I read it somewhere and checked. If you aren't familiar with that then you'll only have the occasional Beautiful Mind bit to contend with.

(I wonder if the Swing Kids piece is actually lifted from some classical piece anyway. It sounds suspiciously like it might be, but I can't identify what it might be. It's an oustanding theme in any case.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    I'm suspicious. What percentage of material on this album is recycled? Is there anything that jumps out and says - 'You haven't heard ME before!'

biggrin

The theme I think. Very lovely. I wouldn't go as far as calling it the year's best score album (not yet at least), but I share James' enthusiasm for it.

Edit; maybe not then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I just finished with Christopher Gordon's Circa which is a wonderful smorgasbord of previous Gordon compositions brought together into one piece. Great to hear variations of his Commonweath Games, Sydney A Story of a City, Centenary of Federation music in this context!
    -Erik-

If it's the Circa I'm thinking of, it certainly has the Christopher Gordon voice (elegant, optimistic) which runs through those other works, but I'm not sure I've noticed any melodies overlapping? (Wait - I see his notes say that he did! There you go. Never noticed that. I should listen to Centennary of Federation again.)

Glad to hear you like the Concerto for Bass Trombone. I've always wondered how you'd find it when you got a chance to hear it.

I wanna hear them!! crazy crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Erik Woods wrote

I'm 41 tracks into this 90 track masterpiece and thank God this release is soooooooooo long. Track after track I keep saying I want more and low and behold there is plenty left! "Attack! [Extended Version]/Ramming Speed!/The Battle, Pts. 1, 2 & 3" is unbeatable. What ferocious action material. Sublime! More... MORE... MORE!

-Erik-

Totally agree with you there Erik.
    It's one of THE greatest scores of all time!
    Nice recording for it's time for sure. But a lovely re-recording of the full score would be a truly wonderful thing indeed!
    Are you reading this Mr. Fitzpatrick and the Tadlow gang?
  3. Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    -Erik-

I wanna hear them!! crazy crazy

They're streaming at his website! See the Gordon thread...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Totally agree with you there Erik.
    It's one of THE greatest scores of all time!
    Nice recording for it's time for sure. But a lovely re-recording of the full score would be a truly wonderful thing indeed!
    Are you reading this Mr. Fitzpatrick and the Tadlow gang?

AGREE! How can one of THE greatest film scores ever written NOT get a serious re-recording!!????

Also agree with Martijn on the excellent Phase IV album cool punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:You Only live twice (Barry)

punk punk

Probably my favourite Barry Bond score. (Being Thunderball) and The Living Darlights the other 2)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote

Exceptional. He hasn't been quite so blatant in his borrowings of late, but it's comparatively easy to get past that when the music's as good as this. Easily the year's best score album.

What a surprise! tongue

You and Broxton are pro-Horner.

OH god...How I hate when horner plays the theme with strings and then he "inserts" a touch of Piano. I don't know if anyone understand me, but it's a thing Horner is doing in every score since Titanic.

This morning I tried to play The Perfect Storm, one of my favourites from Horner, and while the action stuff and the electric guitars are terrific, I find his themes more, and more sacharine. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Diddums.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    [This morning I tried to play The Perfect Storm, one of my favourites from Horner, and while the action stuff and the electric guitars are terrific, I find his themes more, and more sacharine. sad

rolleyes
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Funny, when Jordi sits down, his voice seems muffled?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    Nautilus is once again in a inferiority complex phase. This usually happens when he finds out that the composers he listens to are not as great as he thought for many years. This often results in blaming other composers for ridiculous things.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

What a surprise! tongue

You and Broxton are pro-Horner.

I like to think I'm pro-good and anti-bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: TaleSpin (promo) - Christopher L. Stone

A real hidden gem!! punkpunkpunkpunkpunk