• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2008
    As I've said from my first listen to it, Hancock is excellent, Powell's best in a while.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ^This opinion has been endorsed by Martijn.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Ice Age: The Meltdown - John Powell

Yep, I'm still playing this.

I've been addicted to The Waterpark theme since I heard a clip of it for the first time. It's catchy, odd and funny in a good way. It makes me smile all the time.

I also love Sid's easygoing theme as well as his crazy Song-A-Long songs. The quiet cues such as Ellie Remembers and With the Herd fit those emotional scenes without being too sappy.

Mammoths is definitely the highlight! And Into the Sunset is really nice finale, as well as The Meltdown suite.

Many other tracks are mickey-mousing comedy/action music, but they're still highly enjoyable, at least for me (I like those kind of stuff wink ).

*...waits for Justin's ad* wink
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2008 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Ace Combat 6: Fires Of Liberty - Keiki Kobayashi

I made myself a customised album (around 60 minutes) so I would not have to listen to all the boring tracks of the complete soundtrack. Wanna check out my edition Martijn?

Yeah, I'd be interested in that, Gilles, thanks!
    If it's easier, you you could just make me a track list so I can re-arrange my version?
    Many thanks! beer
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Whisper Of The Heart (soundtrack) - Yuji Nomi

This score should be as well-known as Hisaishi's! So good.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Far And Away - John Williams

A very fine score with a brilliant theme. The Land Race is a fantastic uplifting cue.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Steven wrote
    Nope, just the drunken mating calls of local nightclubbers.

Christodoulides wrote
    Mating calls? hahah i hope they weren't shouting at you for that purpose biggrin

That's why he was on a bike: to run away effectively!

I'm with Anthony and Erik: I liked Jumper better than Hancock when I both got them at the same time, but repeated listening has made Hancock grow on me more, now. I also truly like that last action piece. But that's not to say Jumper isn't great, too.

NP: Invaders from Mars, Christopher Young + some other guy
    While trying to dodge the countless typos in the inserts text, I'm enjoying the lovely theme and Goldsmithian action cues. Will it warrant its mammoth running time? I'll see, but so far I don't regret shelling out for this instant-rare item.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    This has been a crazy week for fantastic scores for me.

I've been eating up the stunning El Cid - Rozsa
    The classic The Boys From Brazil - Goldsmith
    And the brilliant The Matrix - Davis

All quite different beasts but I love them all! punk
  1. NP: Agaguk - Maurice Jarre

Such a great score to a very obscure movie. The main theme is so damn catchy. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Antineutrino wrote
    NP: Agaguk - Maurice Jarre

Such a great score to a very obscure movie. The main theme is so damn catchy. punk

LOVE IT!!!!
    (and btw, the story comes from a fellow countryman of mine: a French Canadian called Yves Thériault. Yay, rare bits of cultural heritage that make it to other markets! Like Céline Dion slant )
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    HeeroJF wrote
    Antineutrino wrote
    NP: Agaguk - Maurice Jarre

LOVE IT!!!!
    (and btw, the story comes from a fellow countryman of mine: a French Canadian called Yves Thériault. Yay, rare bits of cultural heritage that make it to other markets! Like Céline Dion slant )

Yes, I like this one too. Haven't listened to it for ages but will do so tonight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Atham wrote

Superb haul!

NP: The Matrix: Revolutions - Don Davis

Even though the film is almost unwatchable, Davis still managed to keep up the quality of work that he provided the first two films and then completely blew everything out of the water with "Neodammerung" and the first fully developed version of the Trinity/Neo love theme. Absolutely superb scoring throughout the entire trilogy.

Up next I torture myself with listen of Brian Tyler's Timeline and then compare it to Jerry Goldsmith's rejected. It's been such a LONG time since I've listened to both so I thought I'd give them another try. I'm not particularly fond of them.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Film unwatchable? Are you kidding me? I LOVED the Matrix films!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

I thought the first one was great. The next two were very lukewarm.

NP : DIE ANOTHER DAY - David Arnold

Not bad.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

I loved the first, really enjoyed the second (even with all the ergo's, concordantly's, vis-a-vis's, etc) but The Matrix Revolutions was an absolute mess. It took these great ideas established in the first film (and some of the second) and completely flushed them down the toilet. Now, Revolutions is visually stunning... sure... but utterly boring. The Wachoski's basically abandons our main cast of characters. What exactly did Morpheus do in the third film? Also, this is a Matrix film, right? How much time did we spend in The Matrix?

Revolutions just seemed to be one big massive third act. A 2 hour and 30 minute third act. Yes, actually, it is the third act of a three act series of films, but at least the other two films can stand on their own... The Matrix especially. They were complete films. The biggest problem with Revolutions is that it became an effects film. Where the first two had a boat load of special effects they helped complement the story and didn't take away from it. Revolutions reminded me of what would happen in George Lucas took control of the Matrix series. Totally uninteresting!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Martijn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Ace Combat 6: Fires Of Liberty - Keiki Kobayashi

I made myself a customised album (around 60 minutes) so I would not have to listen to all the boring tracks of the complete soundtrack. Wanna check out my edition Martijn?

Yeah, I'd be interested in that, Gilles, thanks!
    If it's easier, you you could just make me a track list so I can re-arrange my version?
    Many thanks! beer

Just a reminder, I was talking about Ace Combat 5 of which I made a personal album. You only have 6 right?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE 3rd KIND - John Williams

Mind blowing. What the hell was I wasting my time on Arnold for?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Martijn wrote
    ^This opinion has been endorsed by Martijn.

But not me. Horton all the way this year. beer
  2. Atham wrote

2 out of 3 have already entered my mailbox and awaiting entry into my brain.
    El Cid is currently journeying towards my location. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Timmer wrote

Mind blowing is still an understatement for CE3K!!!!

There's bad Arnold and totally fantastic Arnold. But yeah DOD is pretty bad Arnold.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Timeline - Brian Tyler

UGH! I'm only 9 tracks in and I want to turn this off. Looking at the tracklisting now.... 20 TRACKS?! cry I will let it play out but I'm so utterly bored with this score. Oh, those last few notes of the love theme stolen from The Mask of Zorro in "Lady Claire And Marek" are priceless. Funny that he would find "inspiration" from Horner's love theme and use it again in... I think it's Partition. vomit

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

There's bad Arnold and totally fantastic Arnold. But yeah DOD is pretty bad Arnold.

I quite like DAD, I don't think it's that bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

UGH! I'm only 9 tracks in and I want to turn this off. Looking at the tracklisting now.... 20 TRACKS?! cry I will let it play out but I'm so utterly bored with this score. Oh, those last few notes of the love theme stolen from The Mask of Zorro in "Lady Claire And Marek" are priceless. Funny that he would find "inspiration" from Horner's love theme and use it again in... I think it's Partition. vomit

-Erik-

Boy, are you the impersonation of negativity sometimes or what?!

Love ya though kiss wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

I quite like DAD, I don't think it's that bad.

LOL @ Die Onanother Day hehe

Okay, not bad but not worthy of your time, when you could've listened to something such as... uhm... well let me think of something: Close encounters.

Oh that already happened !! wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Yeah. My God Erik, you're turning into me! shocked biggrin
  4. biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Love ya though kiss wink

Come on, Demetris. You know there are countless scores out there that turn me on. Look, I'm trying to give Brian Tyler's music another shot and unfortunately his music just doesn't do it for me. When something is bad I'm not going to sugar coat it. And as you know when I really like something I write mini novels.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Timeline: Rejected - Jerry Goldsmith

And with that... Tyler's score just ends and into Goldsmith's score we go. That was odd.

Anyway, it's been a while since I've listened to this but I do remembering saying that would have flat out rejected this score as well for what ever the hell that AWFUL buzzing synth noise Goldsmith came up with in "Be Careful" Good lord that terrible. And that stupid noise ruins a pretty respectable action cue half way through "No Pain." What the hell is that?! Anyway, nice to hear some Goldsmith after that barrage of noise I just listened to.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Love ya though kiss wink

Come on, Demetris. You know there are countless scores out there that turn me on. Look, I'm trying to give Brian Tyler's music another shot and unfortunately his music just doesn't do it for me. When something is bad I'm not going to sugar coat it. And as you know when I really like something I write mini novels.

-Erik-

I know mate, i was teasing you. Stressing the already present kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ya, I most definately like Goldsmith's Timeline over Tyler. A far more coherant, better structured score with far more interesting and memorable themes that are wonderful woven throughout the score.

NP: Kull The Conqueror - Joel Goldsmith

Big, muscular, epic film score... with a drum kit to modern it up. While the drum kit is unnecessary it's use is very interesting and actually compliments the orchestral music very well. It's just not playing a standard 4/4 beat... Goldsmith give the drums some life and follows the flow of the orchestra brilliantly. The kit AND guitars actually enhances the music.. if you like that sort of thing. I do, so this is a lot of fun especially if done right and I'd say Goldsmith did a wonderful job with such an odd request.

-Erik-