• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2008
    KULL: NOW THAT'S A SCORE! punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    Miya wrote
    NP: Whisper Of The Heart (soundtrack) - Yuji Nomi

This score should be as well-known as Hisaishi's! So good.

What's this score like? Is it lush and thematic, or more minimal?
  1. Brian Tyler - War

The Bourne inspirations are there, in the theme, though rhytmically it's more inspired by Tokyo Drift.

I definitely prefer Tokyo Drift and Eagle Eye to this score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: X-Men: The Last Stand - John Powell

Gold I tell ya! FILM MUSIC GOLD! Mr. Powell, thank you for Phoenix's Theme. One of the Top 3 themes of the decade!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2008 edited
    NP: The Mummy and a Tomb of Some Kind... you know what I mean, Randy Edelman
    Wow... if I close my eyes and try really REALLY hard to pretend this ISN'T a Mummy score, this actually can come off almost halfway decent. This is more suited for an Alan Quartermain adventure with its flamboyant silly theme. When it first came on, my reaction was: "Goodness - Gracious - Me!" There are none of the ethnic flavours Goldsmith and Silvestri infused their own scores with. But like I said, if I ignore the offense this score is to the franchise, it's actually a decent effort for Edelman when taken outside the source material, is it not? "Shanghai Chase" actually had me excited a little bit and a few of the tender moments actually came off as, well, tender! And so I'll say this: Edelman, keep up trying hard, but please stay the hell away from The Mummy.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  2. You have a grudge against Edelman, don't you?

Jerry Goldsmith - First Blood

Now a classic, what a piece of great music with attitude! Rarely I hear such a great and brutal action music.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2008
    lol, don't really have a grudge, in fact I started my soundtrack collection with a huge admiration for his music. I'd avidly collect everything believing something like The Quest should measure up to any Goldsmith in a person's collection. Dragonheart sure made an impact and is a noteworthy score if for that reason alone, but at this point I consider that Anaconda was his masterwork and it was all a bit downhill and silly from there. Actually I take that back: his recent Ten Commandments really impressed me. If you can work past the fact that it sure isn't Bernstein's classic.

But you have me in agreement for First Blood, no question. I often struggled to determine which of the three Goldsmith Rambo scores is my favourite, and the relentless action of Part II usually wins out, but really the suspense of the first one is remarkable.

NP: Something the Lord Made, Christopher Young
    I'm only three tracks into this one, and already: wow.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Brian Tyler - War

The Bourne inspirations are there, in the theme, though rhytmically it's more inspired by Tokyo Drift.

I am not sure about this. I certainly rank TOKYO DRIFT up there with the best tyler scores for sure but i am not sure if i prefer eagle eye over war as the later is a very tight, thrilling ride from start to finish!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

Gold I tell ya! FILM MUSIC GOLD! Mr. Powell, thank you for Phoenix's Theme. One of the Top 3 themes of the decade!

-Erik-

punk

With you on that one.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Brian Tyler - War

I am not sure about this. I certainly rank TOKYO DRIFT up there with the best tyler scores for sure but i am not sure if i prefer eagle eye over war as the later is a very tight, thrilling ride from start to finish!

Out of what I've got so far, my top 5 are definitely Eagle Eye, Tokyo Drift, Greatest Game Ever Played, Bangkok Dangerous and AVPR.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Currently listening to Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull (I have neglected this completely since seeing the movie). Waaaay better than I remember, even if the skull theme is overused. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Currently listening to Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull (I have neglected this completely since seeing the movie). Waaaay better than I remember, even if the skull theme is overused. punk

I've been listening to that lately and I've had a pretty similiar reaction. It's had time for all the hype to die down, and also any disappointment, so I'm at the point now where I can really enjoy it for what it is - a pretty damn good score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2008 edited
    You prefer the greatest game ever played over WAR? I always thought that British with their funny hobbies are weird as f*** but you Sir still managed to surprise me wink Oh well, what can i do? I love you all, my dear odd-weather-loving, funny-talking british friends! kiss
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote

I've been listening to that lately and I've had a pretty similiar reaction. It's had time for all the hype to die down, and also any disappointment, so I'm at the point now where I can really enjoy it for what it is - a pretty damn good score.

It's by no means great, but it's still fun. Even if they aren't true Indy style cues, I love things like The Snake Pit, Whirl Through Academe, The Jungle Chase and Grave Robbers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote

I did like it in the first place, when i initially heard and played it but it's been long since i last played it; judging but some of your - fine gents' reactions, it seems that i have to play it again in new!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    You prefer the greatest game ever played over WAR? I always thought that British with their funny hobbies are weird as f*** but you Sir still managed to surprise me wink Oh well, what can i do? I love you all, my dear odd-weather, funny-talking british friends! kiss

Thank you kind sir. Remind me to buy you tea and crumpets if you ever come to visit us.

I'm not a big fan of War though. Some of the action bits a decent, but I hear too many R&B and hip-hop references in it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    But that's the point! It's so very well-done and varicolored, modern, urban and hip, i love it.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'll pass. I'd rather listen to something that I wouldn't expect Tyler to come out with at all (a score for a movie about golf!) tongue beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Golf. Let me get my buckit.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I haz lost mai buckit. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    You prefer the greatest game ever played over WAR? I always thought that British with their funny hobbies are weird as f*** but you Sir still managed to surprise me wink Oh well, what can i do? I love you all, my dear odd-weather-loving, funny-talking british friends! kiss

I thought the same. Even I prefer War! Even you manic Tyler defenders must admit that Greatest Game Ever Played is pretty much the most shameless continuous temp-track rip-off we've ever heard in a film score - with the exception of 300.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Not a great fun of the score either, not that i'd compare it with 300 actually, but still.
  3. NP: Youth without Youth (Osvaldo Golijov)

It's strange to be addicted to a film score that helps you imagine what your life will be like if you're 85 and don't achieve any of the things you want. This is a heavy score, but oh-so-genuine in its emotions. I can't wait to hear what Golijov does for Tetro.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - John Williams

Just to whet my appetite for the expanded biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

"British with their funny hobbies"

This from a Greek aeroplane fanatic! rolleyes wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

punk

With you on that one.

Me too!!! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Im with Erik about : Matrix Revolutions sucks. Tyler's Timeline is too much (like everything he does) .Goldsmith's Timeline is ruined for the electronics (But I remember the last action tracks burned the house ).Phonix theme is pure Gold (even if the suspense music is not so interesting). Kull is a magnific muscular score with a great theme.

And I love "the creator" discussion with Neo in "Matrix Reloaded", one of the best SCI FIction moments in the Sci Fiction story!

Before

I was playing :

Horton Hears a Who! (powell)

When It's good..It's so Damn Good!!!!

The first 3 track with it's the opening can be better, specially track 3 with this kind of fanfarre. But what makes this score worth to listen is from track 28 to 34. Action packed, epic and the suite hilarious!

"We are heeeeeeeeeeeere, we are here! "

Predator Deluxe Edition (Silvestri)

It create a very specific sound. A mix of Bernard Herrman and Goldsmith's Alien but with a pure Silvestri sound dizzy

NP:Matrix The Deluxe Edition (Davis)

In my all time favourite scores.

The sound created by Davis is just amazing. Sadly it doesn't have "mona lisa overdrive" dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Hurricane - Christopher Young

One of Young's very best scores, full of beautiful, slow, mournful string passages and some very soothing jazzy cues. Excellent.

cool
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I thought the same. Even I prefer War! Even you manic Tyler defenders must admit that Greatest Game Ever Played is pretty much the most shameless continuous temp-track rip-off we've ever heard in a film score - with the exception of 300.

While what you say may be true, I don't notice a thing, as I don't own the scores it's ripping off! Ignorance is bliss. cool angelic

Nautilus wrote
    Horton Hears a Who! (powell)

When It's good..It's so Damn Good!!!!

The first 3 track with it's the opening can be better, specially track 3 with this kind of fanfarre

And I can tell you something that would INSTANTLY make the first 3 tracks better. Leave them as 1 track like it should be!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    NICOLA PIOVANI - L'Équipier (The Light, El Extraño)

Enough to instantly put me to sleep. Yawn...and to think i slept only 6 hours last night in order to get up first thing in the morning and come to the library to study..this is not something i need right now!

Switched to:

RACHEL PORTMAN - the truth about Charlie

When Portman goes darker, like in THE HUMAN STAIN and this one for instance, she can deliver the goods and when packed with a beautiful main theme or charming middle-eastern elements like in this score, it makes for a treat of limited duration though due to the high rates of repetitivity. But man when she goes sugary, it can be tremendously and unbearably over the top for me.