• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2008
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'll play devil's advocate here. Here is what the new MOTU offers.

First, to those that didn't get a chance to purchase the original Varese release or the expanded treatment on Silva now can albeit another limited edition.

Secondly, there are some film music fans who would rather hear the original albums over the expanded/complete and chronological treatment and visa versa. This new release from La La Land Records satisfies both groups while not over pricing the disc. It surprised even ME to see this 2 CD set with a price point of $19.98 instead of $29.98 which is usually the norm for 2 CD sets.

-Erik-

Absolutely. Agree with every word. They're not charging any extra for repeating the same music in a different sequence (unlike another label we could name) so I don't see the problem.

Actually I agree on every point too. This was a necessary release that truly needed to happen because there's no reason any film music fan should go without this fantastic music at a reasonable price and availability.

I'm just saying that this wasn't a release for me. I would rather have saved that $20 if I'd known it wasn't going to bring me any new music. For anyone who's been rightfully dying to get their hands on this music for year it's a godsend, but for me it's a bit of a ripoff. I guess I simply should've gotten better informed before I ordered it.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    Marselus wrote
    NP Annapolis (Brian Tyler)

Shame on me for not paying enough atention to this one until now. It has all of Tyler´s trademarks, those I´ve come to love from the cooler composer working today.

Special thanks to HeeroJF for the reminder some days ago wink

GHAAAAAAAAAA!!! IT'S ABOUT TIME!!! crazy biggrin Innit awesome??

Ay-ay-ay! I thought I'd give this one a spin because of all the positive comments. When something this limp, generic and tired (not to mention something that tries desperately hard, but fails miserably, to sound like something else) is described as "awesome" it's enough to make me think I've turned into my dad!

Best dissing ever.

I haven't heard the score so can't comment personally and I don't think I'll be in any hurry to. Unfortunately Tyler's music is starting to irritate me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Annapolis reminds me so much of the "old Horner". Back in the days of Clear and Present Danger. In fact I'd say Annapolis is like a blend of C&PD and Trevor Jones' G.I. Jane, but with a Tyler touch. It may not be for everyone but I don't it's possible to stay completely unmoved by the track "Showdown".
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    HeeroJF wrote
    It may not be for everyone but I don't it's possible to stay completely unmoved by the track "Showdown".

The only move I'd make is to turn it off!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    HeeroJF wrote
    slant

Sorry man... I don't like it. A lot of Tyler's recent efforts have left me very, very cold.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    It may not be for everyone but I don't it's possible to stay completely unmoved by the track "Showdown".

The only move I'd make is to turn it off!

-Erik-

A brilliant slapdown, Erik. spin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2008 edited
    I just don't think the music deserves it, is all... I mean, there's "unoriginal good" and "unoriginal bad". This may not be Timeline, but it isn't Randy Edelman, either. Analogy: I still seriously can't understand why so many people enjoy Black Hawk Down, but I respect the fact that they do anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    HeeroJF wrote
    I just don't think the music deserves it, is all... I mean, there's "unoriginal good" and "unoriginal bad". This may not be Timeline, but it isn't Randy Edelman, either. Analogy: I still seriously can't understand why so many people enjoy Black Hawk Down, but I respect the fact that they do anyway.

I have no problem with what you like or don't like but I just wanted to make a comment about the score myself.

BTW, for the record, I don't really like Black Hawk Down either! But then again, I haven't listened to it for ages but I also don't like Simon and Garfunkel which is one of the reasons why I don't like the score. wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Tuned into the computer after quite some time. My playlist for today -

The Lion King (Hans Zimmer)
    PoTC: At World's End (Hans Zimmer)
    Dinosaur (James Newton Howard)
    Atlantis: The Lost Empire (JNH)
    LoTR: The Return Of The King (Howard Shore)
    LoTR: The Two Towers (Howard Shore)
    Hook (John Williams)
    Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban (John Williams)
    First Knight (Jerry Goldsmith)
    Mulan (promo) (Jerry Goldsmith)
    Godzilla (David Arnold)

Off for some music time! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Panthera wrote
    Same goes for an expanded The Lion King.

I swear I would end all my other desires if this dream comes true. I could die a happy man with this music ringing in my ears!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:The Four feathers (Horner)

"The Madhi" is a 10 minutes of amazing stuff. "aliens" (combat Drop) meets "black Hawk Down" meets "glory".

the love theme of this score (the Dance), with piano and a sofer touch of synthetiser, is really touching.

And of course then the Indian inspired stuff...."To abou clea" and "the martyrs". Wich transports you to India.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote

"The Madhi" is a 10 minutes of amazing stuff. "aliens" (combat Drop) meets "black Hawk Down" meets "glory".

the love theme of this score (the Dance), with piano and a sofer touch of synthetiser, is really touching.

And of course then the Indian inspired stuff...."To abou clea" and "the martyrs". Wich transports you to India.

I absolutely love that score!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote

It is a score that I really disliked at first listen but since then it has grown on me and now it is among my favourites Horner scores. Some really amazing stuff!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yesterday i played (after an lack of contact of a month or so) ANDREW LOCKINGTON's JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH. Now why do i remember it to be MUCH MUCH better during the first listens? Yesterday it revealed itself as a long, boring, generic ride - which i guess it actually is.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yesterday i played (after an lack of contact of a month or so) ANDREW LOCKINGTON's JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH. Now why do i remember it to be MUCH MUCH better during the first listens? Yesterday it revealed itself as a long, boring, generic ride - which i guess it actually is.

Yup. It's certainly not a bad score...but it's nothing new at all. sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Matrix: Deluxe Edition - Don Davis

One of my favs recently!! punk
  2. Nautilus wrote

Except the fact that the story has nothing to do with India. It's just inspired by a traditional mystical Muslim way of singing rather than India...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: The Boys From Brazil - Goldsmith

Bliss!!! cool
  3. Don Davis - The Matrix Deluxe Edition

Amazing release, I love every note here. Even if it's not an easy listening experience, its complexity makes it one of the best scores of the 1990s.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Same here, excellent film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Arabian Nights~Richard Harvey

Carring all the magic of tales and the east! Just right fo escaping reality for a while!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  4. I must say that regarding Matrix I completely agree with Southall and Erik.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Indeed, what an epic score. And the piano theme is amazing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Atham wrote
    NP: The Boys From Brazil - Goldsmith

Bliss!!! cool

I don't know what to expect... I know the waltz of course from a compilation, but other than that, nope. I bought this on luck, and it being a Goldsmith had a something (just a little wink) to do with it. Let's hope I can put the word bliss on these very pages once I've had a chance to listen to it. I don't think it will be another 'The Challenge' which I bought for similar reasons but ended up hating intensely.

BTW About the Four Feathers, the score is actually a good one, albeit for a worthless film, I would say one of Horner's better of this decade, all for that amazing cue 'The Mahdi' (seems like a favorite here). You gave me the idea to put this on very soon. Thanks again.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP:CITY OF EMBER...Andrew Lockington

Very modern score that I'm having difficulty in finding a repeated theme.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What is it like Tom, mood, style and all?
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Invasion USA - Jay Chattaway (Intrada)

Who doesn't remember those 80's action flicks ?! I spended a LOT of time in the cinema in those
    days . 'Invasion USA' was one of those films , Chuck Norris was at his highlight back then .
    And boy , I loved it ! cheesy The score is very atmospheric / suspenseful with lots of use of synths . Together with 'Missing In Action' one of my favourite Chattaway scores ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    80's action flicks? Chuck Norris? Man, you scare the crap out of me.