• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. omaha wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Well glad you liked it. I knew you would but not to this extent you would order the El Cid CD too
    Go Bro smile

I guess I should have at least something from that period in my collection, why not something humongous like El Cid. The fantastic performances sealed the deal for me... punk

was el cid a limited release?
    is it possible to still find a copy?

Limited yes
    Available yes, check Screen Archives
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2008
    DreamTheater wrote
    omaha wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Well glad you liked it. I knew you would but not to this extent you would order the El Cid CD too
    Go Bro smile

I guess I should have at least something from that period in my collection, why not something humongous like El Cid. The fantastic performances sealed the deal for me... punk

was el cid a limited release?
    is it possible to still find a copy?

Limited yes
    Available yes, check Screen Archives

obrigado
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Hook - John Williams

My gosh, Remembering Childhood is AMAZING! shocked punk
  2. William wrote
    NP: Hook - John Williams

My gosh, Remembering Childhood is AMAZING! shocked punk

You're wrong: every single track is AMAZING!!!! Well some more than others... cheesy
    This one needs the complete treatment.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Previously played: ALBERTO IGLESIAS - the kite runner

Deeply in love with this colorful and exotic ethnomusicological trip.

n.p. ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - Birth

no comment
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    NP The Last of the Mohicans
    Both the original and the re-recording.
    lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote
    I've gone ahead and ordered the El Cid set after testing it out, thanks to Martijn. beer

bounce biggrin cool cat spin punk dizzy bounce
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: my James Bond mix tape

Well, it's not a mix tape, of course: it's a playlist. But I've pretty much based the selection on my old "Best Of Bond" mix tapes, which I haven't heard for ages.

Interesting how taste changes over time. I used to enjoy the score to Octopussy but loathe the slow cadences of Moonraker. Now I find it's the other way around! My excerpts of the Moonraker score really blow me away with its dark raw power, while the more rhythmic Gobinda Gets The Knife from Octopussy does little for me.
    Interestingly I also rather like Serra's New Style for Goldeneye a LOT better than ANYTHING from Kamen's License To Kill...what a stinker of a score.

I dislike the title theme version on the expanded Diamonds Are Forever: its edge has been dulled significantly slant . I need to get me the original album edition to round out my playlist.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Anna Lucasta - Elmer Bernstein

Hey! angry It's in MONO! You'd think they might have mentioned that little factoid anywhere, but no. Not on the site. Not even in the -rather pointless as mainly involving the film rather than the score- liner notes. slant

Anyway, getting over that little disappointment I have to say I love Bernstein in this modus: cool, jazzy and with a biting edge. This score is very much on par with such great classics as Walk On The Wild Side, The Sweet Smell Of Success and of course The Man With The Golden Arm, but the theme must rank among his very best! So clever and playful that you just can't help but smile in appreciation.
    Excellent work!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Interestingly I also rather like Serra's New Style for Goldeneye a LOT better than ANYTHING from Kamen's License To Kill...what a stinker of a score.

Wow! I don't think it's a stinker whatsoever! Way over the top... hell ya! It's like Die Hard meets Bond. I love Kamen's sound, I love his version of the Bond theme and the variations it goes through in the massive and highly entertaining 9 minute "Licence Revoked" action set piece. IMHO, it's a boat load of fun!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Martijn wrote

Really? I have neither on CD, and I haven't watched the films in YEARS, but I seem to remember Kamen's being one of my favourites. I'll need to dig out the film again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    My point is Tyler is uncapable to make a balanced score tongue

confused

"Partition", "Bangkok Dangerous", "Children of Dune", "Eagle Eye", "The Final Cut", "The Greatest Game Ever Played", "Rambo", etc etc.

Don't forget Annapolis!! Why doesn't anyone ever mention Annapolis? I think it's easily in Tyler's top 3 scores. And yes, definitely balanced.

So... yes, I'm back! I was away at a convention last weekend. Pimping out those glowy swords I've been building, and walking around dressed like vampire Brad Pitt. Got a lot of fun discussions to catch up with!

NP: Scorpio, Jerry Fielding.
    Yes, finally got my copy in the mail, along with a huge order of other CDs. But Scorpio is the first one I popped in because I was so eager to see what the hype was about. Being a Jerry Fielding score, I expected a highly sophisticated and intellectual score but at the core very unfriendly and difficult to have fun with. And so far (up to track 6 now), it seems that is exactly what I'm getting. The jazziness is a bit catchier than expected, perhaps, but still, I'll need convincing before I agree this is the masterpiece everyone says it is. Hard to understand why this sold out as quickly as Goldsmith's Baby.

And please, someone buy that copy of Ice Age: The Meltdown from Justin!! Not saying that just so that we stop hearing about it... dizzy but also because such a super-fun Powell score can't go unclaimed like that! It's just plain wrong!

J-F
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    HeeroJF wrote
    And please, someone buy that copy of Ice Age: The Meltdown from Justin!! Not saying that just so that we stop hearing about it... dizzy but also because such a super-fun Powell score can't go unclaimed like that! It's just plain wrong!

Ice Age 2 is not that good. A 3 star effort by my books. tongue

How much is he trying to flog it for? biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    NP: my James Bond mix tape

Well, it's not a mix tape, of course: it's a playlist. But I've pretty much based the selection on my old "Best Of Bond" mix tapes, which I haven't heard for ages.

Interesting how taste changes over time. I used to enjoy the score to Octopussy but loathe the slow cadences of Moonraker. Now I find it's the other way around! My excerpts of the Moonraker score really blow me away with its dark raw power, while the more rhythmic Gobinda Gets The Knife from Octopussy does little for me.

I dislike the title theme version on the expanded Diamonds Are Forever: its edge has been dulled significantly slant . I need to get me the original album edition to round out my playlist.

You don't like that stinger opening!?? shocked

I agree with you on Kamen's score but to be fair he didn't have much to work with. Much as I like License To Kill theme song, Kamen had great song writing credentials and should have had a hand in the song.

Kamen's score is one of the very weakest of the entire series.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Anthony wrote
    Ice Age 2 is not that good. A 3 star effort by my books. tongue

How much is he trying to flog it for? biggrin

No idea. And I agree, it's no Robots or Horton Hears a Who, but it's still an intrinsic part of a good John Powell collection.

And so much better than David Newman's original.

Anthony wrote
    Martijn wrote

Really? I have neither on CD, and I haven't watched the films in YEARS, but I seem to remember Kamen's being one of my favourites. I'll need to dig out the film again.

You probably have to be a fan of Kamen's style to really appreciate his Bond score. And a fan of his, I am. Huge one. I'd rank his Bond score second only to a few particularly gorgeous Barry ones. Kamen's Bond action tracks are truly exploring the classic theme to its fullest, while giving it that glorious "Kamen treatment" the whole time. And did I mention I'm a nut for Spanish-influenced music? Kamen doing action-flamenco is a dream. To this date I haven't picked up Eric Serra's score, and let's just say I'm in no rush. If Kamen ever scored a stinker, it'd be Homeboy or The Krays, but not Licence to Kill.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

Curious as to why you think so. I find that Kamen's keeps Barry's spirit alive while at the same time bringing in his own sensibilities.

BTW, well said, HeeroJF. I couldn't have described Kamen's effort any better!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Thanks! Kamen is truly one of my old favourites, and will remain so despite the sadly poor prospect of us ever receiving any new Kamen releases...

NP: Kung Fu Panda, Powell & Zimmer
    Ahh, now let's see what this is about. Just listening to this for the first time, so I have nothing to say about it yet. Track 1 seems quite promising.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

Curious as to why you think so. I find that Kamen's keeps Barry's spirit alive while at the same time bringing in his own sensibilities.

-Erik-

A mostly dark brooding and murky score but unlike Barry there's no "hook" to much of it. I even prefer Conti's score over this one ( well, the NON-disco elements ). It's a better Bond score than Serra's but that's not saying much. Perhaps I'dchange my mind if I heard the whole score in the film but for that I'd have to suffer the film again.

p.s. Jf, nothing wrong with The Krays as a film score but I'm presuming you mean as a listen on album?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. NP: Blood & Chocolate by Reinhold Heil & Johnny Klimek

man, is this boring shit confused
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: Blood & Chocolate by Reinhold Heil & Johnny Klimek

Don't hold back, tell us what you think Thomas!?? wink
  4. Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

BORING SHIT

the most ridiculous thing is, why do I keep listening to it further?
    Oh yeah, for the possible never gonna happen reason it will hold one track of some goddamn interest crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

BORING SHIT

Have heard it too, i agree.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

biggrin

Yes, yes it is.
  5. so I'm not the only one who's heard it????
    Pfewww biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    so I'm not the only one who's heard it????
    Pfewww biggrin

MUST be boring then! wink
  6. Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Pfewww biggrin

you want to hear it? tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Pfewww biggrin

you want to hear it? tongue

Nahhhh! I'll take your word for it. wink

NP : MIDNIGHT EXPRESS - Giorgio Moroder

Yeah I like it so shoot me. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP - Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam - Shigeaki Saegusa

One of my all time favorite Anime score. Heavy on the symphonic side, very melodic, very thematic, and somewhat catchy. Splashes of drum machine for percussion and synthesizers are there and the overall effect is very funk like. Sometime it reminds me of the Bond scores of Hamlisch, Conti and Martin. I like those styles so it immensely enjoyable for me to listen to. There's an abso-freaking-lutely GORGEOUS character theme for the main character, Kamille Bidan, that worth the whole first CD for me. There's even a cheesy guitar solo at the end too (as I'm listen to it right now). There are mucho tension cues that are expertly handled in the most sparse minimalistic approach. In between that and the vignette of pop cues and string pieces, it's an extremely enjoyable and delightful 4hour listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    A mostly dark brooding and murky score but unlike Barry there's no "hook" to much of it.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
    I absolutely adore the use of acoustic guitar, yes, but somehow -as with many of Kamen's scores for me- the sum of the parts simply doesn't gel into a comprehensive whole: no "hook", indeed.
    But then again: I'm no Kamen fan.
    And -very importantly- the License To Kill album suffers from a TERRIBLE presentation (one side pop songs, one side score suites).

And yeah, Timmer, I DO like the stinger in the expanded Diamonds Are Forever title theme, but it's like they've turned both volume and treble on the xylophone/glockenspiel (?) riff as it's not nearly as powerfully present as it is on the album presentation. It just loses some of its "umph" I find.

NP: Ace Combat 6: Fires Of Liberty - Keiki Kobayashi
    A pretty good video game score. I don't know the game, nor do I care to, but its score, though overlong, is well-balanced, exciting where needed, overall interesting in sound design... but WHAT do I know that main theme from?!? It's driving me CRAZY! crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Appaloosa (Jeff Beal)

Nice main theme, but nothing else.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you