• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2008 edited
    NP: The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles Vol.1, Laurence Rosenthal & Joel McNeely

Super stuff! Although McNeely has his own thread here, there isn't nearly enough discussion about Laurence Rosenthal. I've been in awe of his work ever since I picked up Clash of the Titans. And his Mussolini is just jaw-dropping.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2008
    NP: Stargate SG-1 - David Arnold & Joel Goldsmith

A relatively good soundtrack, but nothing compared to Arnold's film score. This TV soundtrack is pretty much a rehash of the music from the movie score, with a little bit extra. Some of the musical transitions seem to make no sense, and seem more like choppy computer editing than anything coherent. And so repetitive! crazy
  1. Thanks to a certain person, a lot of Billy Goldenberg.

Started out with "The Domino Principle", which was just average; then went to "Red Sky At Morning", which was average (though all these scoes features nice orchestrations and good moments); and finally on to "The Grasshooper" which had some nice gues like "Christine In Las Vegas" which has a groovy rhythem and sounds.

Then later I will make my way into The Film & TV Music Of bootleg, which features stuff like an episode score from "Columbo" and some other stuff. Appearently Goldenberg didn't have some of it himself, as I recall reading, and a kind trader provided him a copy.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2008
    The Andrea Morricone was good; although i was struggling to think of (rather i should say "feel") a reason why NOT hear his father instead, with whom Andrea sounds identical, only inferior.

E.S.POSTHUMUS - cartographer

punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Matrix (The Deluxe Edition) - Don Davis

Easily one of the best scores composed in the past ten years. So influential, so fresh, so perfect for this movie. A big thanks to Varese for releasing the expanded edition. I love this score and to finally hear all the juicy unreleased material is a Godsend! IMHO, The Matrix music is right up there with The Lord of the Rings trilogy!

-Erik-

Speaking of which - where is my copy?? I ordered this weeks ago from Varese and have heard NOTHING about it being shipped, but their site says "in process". For all I know it's half way across the Atlantic.

I got my copy this morning - and I received a "dispatched" e-mail a couple of days ago. Your copy may not be too long in arriving.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Timmer wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    NP: "V", Joe Harnell
    How could I not have noticed before just how Herrmannesque this music is!! It's wonderful!

Man but I used to love the lizard woman lick cool

I know what you mean, Tim! shame
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2008
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : BATTLE ROYALE - Masamichi Amano

A very good score with some tips of the hat to the likes of John Barry and Jerry Goldsmith, not bad at all.

I love tis one. If you haven´t, listen the second one Tim, Battle Royale 2: Requiem: bigger, bolder and epic.

No I haven't heard that Marcel but I've taken note. smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    justin boggan wrote
    Thanks to a certain person, a lot of Billy Goldenberg.

Started out with "The Domino Principle", which was just average; then went to "Red Sky At Morning", which was average (though all these scoes features nice orchestrations and good moments); and finally on to "The Grasshooper" which had some nice gues like "Christine In Las Vegas" which has a groovy rhythem and sounds.

Then later I will make my way into The Film & TV Music Of bootleg, which features stuff like an episode score from "Columbo" and some other stuff. Appearently Goldenberg didn't have some of it himself, as I recall reading, and a kind trader provided him a copy.

If it's the same one I have it's the Columbo score to Ransom For A Dead Man which is brilliant!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    How could I not have noticed before just how Herrmannesque this music is!! It's wonderful!

Maybe have to find a youtube clip!? cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The 4 Musketeers - Matt Dunkley

Now this is growing on me!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Opening & Ending Theme from The Critic (TV) - Hans Zimmer (From this site)

A League Of Their Own? or Rhapsody In Blue? biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2008 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    HeeroJF wrote

Diana and Julie are my erotic fantasies of my youth...and even now! (specially when Diana eats the rat....eheheh)

I was playing: The Last Samurai (Zimmer)

I prefer this one over gladiator, and I find one of the most coherent (in the thematic devolopment) that Zimmer has ever done.

"A way of life" (breathaking the red warrior theme with synthetiser or the love theme!) " to Know My enemy"(the touching ending of the track) or "idilly's end" are some of my all time favourite Zimmer cues.

Of course you have to take the bad things too . The annoying action tracks (every one of them) and the boring and long "small measure of peace".

NP:An Everlasting Piece (Zimmer)

What better than celebrate my birthday with a reunion of friends and a lot of energy!

Repo man and Piece Oferring give me a lot of energy!

(this is one of the "what the hell 3 " scores that in his time almost makes my lose my love for Zimmer. M:I 3, An Everlasting Piece and Black Hawk Down )
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Antarctica - Vangelis

This score reminds me of cold antarctic wildness (even if I haven't been there wink ) and warmth of dog's breath at the same time... It's amazing how these synth sounds can have a warm feeling.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Miya wrote

This score reminds me of cold antarctic wildness (even if I haven't been there wink ) and warmth of dog's breath at the same time... It's amazing how these synth sounds can have a warm feeling.

Completly Agree! In my top "travel" scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Nautilus wrote
    I was playing: The Last Samurai (Zimmer)

I prefer this one over gladiator, and I find one of the most coherent (in the thematic devolopment) that Zimmer has ever done.

"A way of life" (breathaking the red warrior theme with synthetiser or the love theme!) " to Know My enemy"(the touching ending of the track) or "idilly's end" are some of my all time favourite Zimmer cues.

I agree with you on Gladiator, it's not my favorite these days. I liked it at first, but then somehow I lost my interest on it... I'm not sure exactly why, but I can't sit and listen to the whole album, even though I think the last three tracks are beautiful...

The Last Samurai, on the other hand, I really loved it.

But...

Nautilus wrote
    Of course you have to take the bad things too . The annoying action tracks (every one of them) and the boring and long "small measure of peace".

I disagree on the latter part! A Small Measure Of Peace is one of my favorite tracks... it's like a "catchier version" of The Thin Red Line.

Nautilus wrote
    NP:An Everlasting Piece (Zimmer)

What better than celebrate my birthday with a reunion of friends and a lot of energy!

Repo man and Piece Oferring give me a lot of energy!

(this is one of the "what the hell 3 " scores that in his time almost makes my lose my love for Zimmer. M:I 3, An Everlasting Piece and Black Hawk Down )

I love it too. It's so FUN! The last track is really crazy (especially the pianist and those screams...) biggrin

And Happy Birthday! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Nautilus wrote
    Miya wrote

Completly Agree! In my top "travel" scores.

Wow you're going to Antarctica? biggrin wink

Just started playing: The Last Samurai - Hans Zimmer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Gladiator; top music, all times. Top Zimmer work smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Gladiator; top music, all times. Top Zimmer work smile

Gladiator Over the Thin Red Line? biggrin

How i said a lot of times, I find "Migh Of Rome" one of the best single compositions by Zimmer. And I really love the sound of "Progeny" and "To Succhubar" (or how it spells) But I can't enjoy tracks like "The battle", "Barbarian Horde" (God this first 4 minutes of electronic crescendo is too much) or "Am I not Merciful" (amazing operistic elements in the end, but I find the first minutes boring).

NP: "the Final Game" from Rudy and from A league of their Own

From my all time favourites composers.

The Zimmer one is the original 13 minutes track from the complete.

Oh Yeaaaaaaaa baby! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Bangkok Dangerous Vs Eagle Eye (Brian Tyler)

Or what is the same: the more melodic - underscore side of Tyler (with the many renditions of the two main themes + underscore + bursts of action here and there) Vs what I like to call Tyler´s symphonic craziness. I love this guy!

On the other hand, it is just me or some writing in both Bangkok Dangerous ("The Hitman" for example) and Eagle Eye ("Honor" for example) are very very Rabin-esque (those strings in the background......)?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: PoTC: At World's End - Hans Zimmer

Singapore, Up Is Down, What Shall We Die For, I Don't Think.., Drink Me Up Hearties... Amazing stuff!! punk And after watching the film, the guitar part in Parlay along with the Man With The Harmonica-esque "howls" is stuck in my head!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Marselus wrote
    On the other hand, it is just me or some writing in both Bangkok Dangerous ("The Hitman" for example) and Eagle Eye ("Honor" for example) are very very Rabin-esque (those strings in the background......)?

It's not just you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The Peacemaker - Hans Zimmer

One of the best orchestral action score Hans has ever done since Backdraft. It is the best iteration of the trademark Orchestra/Choral/Synthesizers synergy that made Hans famous. It's also the most anthemic and dynamic of any Zimmer score created before and since, rivaling even Gladiator...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    it is just me or some writing in both Bangkok Dangerous ("The Hitman" for example) and Eagle Eye ("Honor" for example) are very very Rabin-esque (those strings in the background......)?

Just reminded me of RC to be honest. But then again, we get that quite a bit from Tyler.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    lp wrote
    Marselus wrote

It's not just you.

Thanks! wink

Anthony wrote
    Just reminded me of RC to be honest.

Hmm...I´d say more Rabin than RC, at least in the particular cases I mention. Anyway Tyler rocks.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  4. Marselus wrote
    Bangkok Dangerous Vs Eagle Eye (Brian Tyler)

Or what is the same: the more melodic - underscore side of Tyler (with the many renditions of the two main themes + underscore + bursts of action here and there) Vs what I like to call Tyler´s symphonic craziness. I love this guy!

You know, I really plan to do it, maybe even today - I mean the comparison. Because I have the idea that when it comes to complexity and the fun factor Eagle Eye is better, but Bangkok has the better melodies and is more varied.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I agree with Pawel. EAGLE EYE's action parts rock the house, loud, balls, right-on and grand. But his softer moments are just filler whereas BANGKOK DANGEROUS has a surprising amount of touching melody and nostalgic, urban-like tone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP - Chase - The Peacemaker (commercial album) - Hans Zimmer

This is a great, albeit very short suite of material from the score. The ending vocal from Mamak Khadem is rapturous. It's the sort of track that reels you in and finish you off heavenly.
  5. Actually, Chase is the title of the piece on the bootleg. On the commercial album it's called Peacemaker.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That "Sarajevo" piece is outstanding!
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    I agree with Pawel. EAGLE EYE's action parts rock the house, loud, balls, right-on and grand. But his softer moments are just filler whereas BANGKOK DANGEROUS has a surprising amount of touching melody and nostalgic, urban-like tone.

Just doing my comparison right now - will tell which one I prefer in about 2 hours, when I finish my listening of both scores, but it may end up that both scores are on the same level, with one score favoring action music, the other one melodic and underscore material.

NP: Eagle Eye - just started basically.