• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    omaha wrote
    Timmer wrote
    omaha wrote
    Deep Blue by George Fenton. Just an awesome score. I have yet to see the documentary though.

It's brilliant! As is PLANET EARTH, have you seen that? Both scores are sublime.

I do have both scores. I have yet to really sit down and listen to Planet Earth though. Which score do you like better?

I've seen parts of the Planet Earth series. Simply amazing.

I can honestly say I love them 50 / 50.....I really can't choose.

Planet earth, loving it loving it loving it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2008
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:First Knight Complete

Scape from Malagant's Cave...OH GOD! beer

From the vibrant action music (every single action cue is new and fresh) to the gorgeous and tender love music.

Goldsmith lives!!!

(Talking about this.."Camelot Lives" really, really touches me. Typical Goldsmith flutes and strings wich remind me how the music has lost with Goldsmith passing away sad )

I love this score too!
    The commercial release is appalling.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2008
    Nautilus wrote

From the vibrant action music (every single action cue is new and fresh) to the gorgeous and tender love music.

Goldsmith lives!!!

(Talking about this.."Camelot Lives" really, really touches me. Typical Goldsmith flutes and strings wich remind me how the music has lost with Goldsmith passing away sad )

I remember the moment when I first heard of Goldsmith's passing. The track I played there and then was "Camelot Lives". It was a perfect cue for the passing of a king!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2008 edited
    omaha wrote
    Timmer wrote
    omaha wrote
    Deep Blue by George Fenton. Just an awesome score. I have yet to see the documentary though.

It's brilliant! As is PLANET EARTH, have you seen that? Both scores are sublime.

I do have both scores. I have yet to really sit down and listen to Planet Earth though. Which score do you like better?

I've seen parts of the Planet Earth series. Simply amazing.

I have Deep Blue, but not seen the doc.

I have Planet Earth on order, not heard it yet, and haven't seen the doc. I know a video store that has it though, so I'll rent it after I get the score.

I don't have Blue Planet yet, but I've seen most episodes of that doc. Fascinating imagery, and tremendous score! I can't wait to locate a copy.

"Deep Blue", "Blue Planet", "Planet Earth"... could these three names be any more confusing? It's hard to realize to us Fenton fans that these are indeed three distinct releases.

NP: Black Hawk Down, Hans Zimmer.
    I'm trying guys, I'm really trying...
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  1. Off topic but 'Planet Earth' is amazing, only its called 'Earth' over here in Belgium (Europe?). Totally worth its money I shelled out for the blu-ray which puts you on the front seat for the greatest spectacle ever: our planet filmed in high definition.

The music is nice but it didn't have the same hooks and memorable themes as 'Deep Blue' has.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. "Distant Drums" (rejected)
    Alex North

I like it. Shame it's not had an official release yet; would love to hear it remastered.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    omaha wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Goldsmith lives!!!

I love this score too!

I don't mind the commercial release but what is appalling is the fact that there is not one cue featuring Lancelot's theme on it. How much trouble would it have been to put the Gauntlet on the album. Besides that, it's a solid listen. I also greatly enjoy the complete presentation as well.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    I was playing: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom.....(Williams)

Definetly a great dissapointment.

The skull motif is great, but it's so overused that you quickly find it very repetitive and boring.

About the music in the movie.. I find Raiders theme is used very badly in some "tender moments". I find it annoying.Seriouslu.

I definITEly agree, seriouslY.

juajua, que cabró que sóc

http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    omaha wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Goldsmith lives!!!

I love this score too!

I don't mind the commercial release but what is appalling is the fact that there is not one cue featuring Lancelot's theme on it. How much trouble would it have been to put the Gauntlet on the album. Besides that, it's a solid listen. I also greatly enjoy the complete presentation as well.

-Erik-

I was totally awestruck when I heard that expanded bootleg, that featured about 30 minutes of awesome unreleased material and that incredible theme left out of the album. No it was way worse: I was dumbified, could not scream out because my lungs refused to believe something of that importance was left out. crazy The official album is incredible, but the expanded is something else entirely.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Exactly! Made a big rant about this in an earlier post, myself. Just one quote of the theme, would that have killed them? Just one! That short Gauntlet track, like you said! Until I got the expanded release, I didn't even *know* there was a Lancelot theme! (saw the movie in 95, but of course I've been trying to forget everything about it since then)

NP: Steel, Mervyn Warren
    Long before I managed to get my hands on this promo, I'd read it described as "guilty pleasure." That, it is. It's such manly virile fun! Comes to show rock musicians definitely have a musicology background. Danny Elfman, JNH and Michael Kamen had already proven that.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    HeeroJF wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Exactly! Made a big rant about this in an earlier post, myself. Just one quote of the theme, would that have killed them? Just one! That short Gauntlet track, like you said! Until I got the expanded release, I didn't even *know* there was a Lancelot theme! (saw the movie in 95, but of course I've been trying to forget everything about it since then)

Lancelot's theme is vibrant! If you ask me much better than the Air Force One influenced Arthur's theme. A really great and old fashioned fanfarre, wich has all what the heroic theme from the mummy Lacks!

I played: Abyss ( i can't understand why people rate this score with 5 stars), Scorpion King (A great one, perhaps better than Beowulf )

NP: Troy (horner)

Im not embrassed to say I prefer this one than Yared's score.

Even with horner's copy and paste and rips from Classical musica, this score is entertaining and with the correct mood.

Achilles theme will pass like one of my favourites themes by Horner. Noble and addictive!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jordi, I can't remember seeing 5 star ratings for THE ABYSS but I certainly wouldn't give it any more than 3 stars and that would be mostly for the excellent choral tracks ( part of which is nicked from Horner's BRAINSTORM ).
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Hook - John Williams

May this be the next Williams score to receive an official expanded album!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Hook - John Williams

May this be the next Williams score to receive an official expanded album!! punk

Agreed! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    DreamTheater wrote
    Off topic but 'Planet Earth' is amazing, only its called 'Earth' over here in Belgium (Europe?). Totally worth its money I shelled out for the blu-ray which puts you on the front seat for the greatest spectacle ever: our planet filmed in high definition.

The music is nice but it didn't have the same hooks and memorable themes as 'Deep Blue' has.

Planet Earth is a 12 part series, Earth is the 90minute movie which is based upon the series. Obviously, Planet Earth is much more spectacular, but Earth is a good introduction to the HD universe of the series.

So, get the series too! tongue
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Lancelot's theme is vibrant! If you ask me much better than the Air Force One influenced Arthur's theme.

First Knight came BEFORE Air Force One.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Matrix (The Deluxe Edition) - Don Davis

Easily one of the best scores composed in the past ten years. So influential, so fresh, so perfect for this movie. A big thanks to Varese for releasing the expanded edition. I love this score and to finally hear all the juicy unreleased material is a Godsend! IMHO, The Matrix music is right up there with The Lord of the Rings trilogy!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Erik Woods wrote

Easily one of the best scores composed in the past ten years. So influential, so fresh, so perfect for this movie. A big thanks to Varese for releasing the expanded edition. I love this score and to finally hear all the juicy unreleased material is a Godsend! IMHO, The Matrix music is right up there with The Lord of the Rings trilogy!

-Erik-

Yeah! I hope they release the expanded of the last two, too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Mulan - Jerry Goldsmith

Goldsmith power!! punk thankfully it's got a great quality promo! punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Speaking of which - where is my copy?? I ordered this weeks ago from Varese and have heard NOTHING about it being shipped, but their site says "in process". For all I know it's half way across the Atlantic. Then again, it still says my copy of Horton Hears A Who! is "in process" and I've had that since March.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Couldn't agree more, especially with the comparisons with the LOTR quality. Although i've yet to decide if i prefer this or the third Matrix score, revolutions.
  5. Timmer wrote
    Jordi, I can't remember seeing 5 star ratings for THE ABYSS but I certainly wouldn't give it any more than 3 stars and that would be mostly for the excellent choral tracks ( part of which is nicked from Horner's BRAINSTORM ).

Well I for one rate it 5 because of the mood created in the score, which are totally spot on for the movie, I also like the suspense and action cues. And the choral tracks alone are worth that rating. It remains one of my Silvestri favourites. Now if they only would remaster it, because the recording (mastering?) is flawed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

Well I for one rate it 5 because of the mood created in the score, which are totally spot on for the movie, I also like the suspense and action cues. And the choral tracks alone are worth that rating. It remains one of my Silvestri favourites. Now if they only would remaster it, because the recording (mastering?) is flawed.

I have no issue with the recording... but I complete agree with you on your assessment of the score. I don't think it's a 5 star masterpiece but it's definitely one of Silvestri's finest.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Nautilus wrote
    NP: Troy (horner)

Im not embrassed to say I prefer this one than Yared's score.

Me, neither. (Horner nut here, if that hadn't been made obvious already)

NP: Commando, James Horner
    Good old 80's action Horner glory, like Red Heat, the 48 Hrs. movies, and Gorky Park! You either love it or hate it.

Timmer wrote

I was once confronted with that issue, a long time ago. I wrote a little very erudite (and obviously parody!) essay about it. Click below, and select "One of History's Greatest Moments Vol.1". Have a chuckle.

http://www.musicalotaku.com/cgi-musical … musicHumor

J-F
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BATTLE ROYALE - Masamichi Amano

A very good score with some tips of the hat to the likes of John Barry and Jerry Goldsmith, not bad at all.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    NP: "V", Joe Harnell
    How could I not have noticed before just how Herrmannesque this music is!! It's wonderful!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    HeeroJF wrote
    NP: "V", Joe Harnell
    How could I not have noticed before just how Herrmannesque this music is!! It's wonderful!

Man but I used to love the lizard woman lick cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    NP : BATTLE ROYALE - Masamichi Amano

A very good score with some tips of the hat to the likes of John Barry and Jerry Goldsmith, not bad at all.

I love tis one. If you haven´t, listen the second one Tim, Battle Royale 2: Requiem: bigger, bolder and epic.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Amistad - Williams

*sigh* perfection smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ANDREA MORRICONE - liberty heights