• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Marselus wrote
    NP The Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures (Knut Avenstroup Haugen)

omg

Great score from this (unknown to me) norwegian composer. A sampled orchestra (I thought it was real until I read it was sampled), plus real solo instruments (violins, viola, cello), a live performer (Helene Bøksle) and a choir including members of the Norwegian State Opera Choir. Simply impressive and highly recommended.
    "Hymn for King Conan" shocked

For more info about the score and composer: http://music.ign.com/articles/877/877973p1.html

Yes yes yes!!! I love this one too, it features high quality samples, it's even better then Alone in the Dark and doesn't bore me in the slightest, which a lot of current film music has a tendency to do... That's why I'm so addicted to game music these days, there are some truly impressive works out there. We need a review for this one so more people can discover it.

Even more info found here: http://www.music4games.net/Review_Display.aspx?id=160

A website I return to often for the latest in videogame music.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. NP: When Good Ghouls Go Bad (Gordon)

Despite being available from Varese, almost nobody has heard this fine score. The most underheard Gordon release around.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: When Good Ghouls Go Bad (Gordon)

Despite being available from Varese, almost nobody has heard this fine score. The most underheard Gordon release around.

I've got this one. If Intrada released a thousand copies of it tomorrow then it would be sold out by Thursday... A nice score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    franz_conrad wrote

Cool! I saw it for cheap on Amazon sometime back and didn't know if it was any good (no review anywhere). I'll have to check it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote

omg

Great score from this (unknown to me) norwegian composer. A sampled orchestra (I thought it was real until I read it was sampled), plus real solo instruments (violins, viola, cello), a live performer (Helene Bøksle) and a choir including members of the Norwegian State Opera Choir. Simply impressive and highly recommended.

For more info about the score and composer: http://music.ign.com/articles/877/877973p1.html

It's got my interest. I've heard good talk about this on "other" boards too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SHAKEN & STIRRED : THE David Arnold JAMES BOND PROJECT

the obvious highlight is Arnold & The Propellerheads take on Barry's sublime On Her Majesty's Secret Sevice theme

I take it you have the full 9 minute version?

Edit: Never mind, you obviously do as the radio edit doesn't feature the space march. wink

Yeap! cool

Have you heard this album Ant? I'd say it's worth having and I often see it going for very cheap.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Marselus wrote

omg

Yes yes yes!!! I love this one too, it features high quality samples, it's even better then Alone in the Dark and doesn't bore me in the slightest, which a lot of current film music has a tendency to do... That's why I'm so addicted to game music these days, there are some truly impressive works out there. We need a review for this one so more people can discover it.

Even more info found here: http://www.music4games.net/Review_Display.aspx?id=160

A website I return to often for the latest in videogame music.

Me wanna!

franz_conrad wrote

How is it like?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SHAKEN & STIRRED : THE David Arnold JAMES BOND PROJECT

the obvious highlight is Arnold & The Propellerheads take on Barry's sublime On Her Majesty's Secret Sevice theme

I take it you have the full 9 minute version?

Edit: Never mind, you obviously do as the radio edit doesn't feature the space march. wink

Yeap! cool

Have you heard this album Ant? I'd say it's worth having and I often see it going for very cheap.

As you said, and as I've heard in a lot of places - it's hit and miss. Can't hurt though if it's cheap. smile
  3. NP: An American Tail - James Horner

Sweet Horner score (1986) from his animated period, full of beautiful melodies and catchy songs. The mouse vocal can be a little irritating at times but given the character I accept it for what it is. Surprising this was written in the same year as Aliens, the total melodic counterpart of this little gem. Followed by an equally good sequel score in 1991.

4 out of 5
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP : All The Pretty Horse - Marty Stuart, Kristin Wilkinson & Larry Paxton

A very very nice modern western score with a strong country twang and Mexicano flavor. The main theme is very pretty and the underscore relies on a lot of nice acoustic guitar with string backing. It's a very melodic score, great for a relaxing listening (most of it anyway), especially with those expansive tracks. I got this CD when it first came out a while ago and the responses to it were very enthusiastic. Haven't seen the movie, but I don't need to anyway (Penelope Cruz vomit ). It's nice to come back to it now; It's a great listen.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : RED HEAT - James Horner

I like the first few tracks with some funky bass guitar and the typical "Russian" theme complete with choir but it soon outstays it's welcome.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    NP: Baten Kaitos

Some of the best video game music. Very emotional at parts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Mr Holland's Opus - Michael Kamen

So many happy memories in this score for me. It was one of the first "independently-discovered" scores I fell in love with (by which I mean ones which I got into through my own exploration rather than just an established classic); and the memory of meeting Michael Kamen and him signing the album cover is one I will always be able to cherish. Back in my film score infancy I couldn't understand why this one wasn't talked about as one of the all-time-greats; and frankly I still don't. Outstanding.
  4. lp wrote
    NP : All The Pretty Horse - Marty Stuart, Kristin Wilkinson & Larry Paxton

A very very nice modern western score with a strong country twang and Mexicano flavor. The main theme is very pretty and the underscore relies on a lot of nice acoustic guitar with string backing. It's a very melodic score, great for a relaxing listening (most of it anyway), especially with those expansive tracks. I got this CD when it first came out a while ago and the responses to it were very enthusiastic. Haven't seen the movie, but I don't need to anyway (Penelope Cruz vomit ). It's nice to come back to it now; It's a great listen.

The film is worth seeing. Penelope is a small part of it, and is incredibly charming in that part.

NP: Farewell to the King (Poledouris)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I used to have a girlfriend who looked identical to Penelope Cruz. Sadly she wasn't as rich.
  5. biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Southall wrote
    Mr Holland's Opus - Michael Kamen

So many happy memories in this score for me. It was one of the first "independently-discovered" scores I fell in love with (by which I mean ones which I got into through my own exploration rather than just an established classic); and the memory of meeting Michael Kamen and him signing the album cover is one I will always be able to cherish. Back in my film score infancy I couldn't understand why this one wasn't talked about as one of the all-time-greats; and frankly I still don't. Outstanding.

I agree. It's sad that Kamen was always an underrated composer who had always produced hugely interesting and unique creations. Speaking of interesting and unique....
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2008 edited
    NP: Don Juan DeMarco - Michael Kamen

One word. Gorgeous!!!!!! My brother bought this CD because he was a fan of the famous guitarist, Paco de Lucía, who contributed to the score, as well as the Bryan Adams song. I took it from him because the score is AWESOME! One of my first exposure to Michael Kamen and what a great intro.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It is one of the greatest Kamen scores indeed, very melodic, very bold, lyrical and sweeping. I just love it.
  6. NP: Wall-E (Newman)

Still haven't seen the film, but I'm really getting into this one. It didn't really work as an album when I first heard it, but it sure does now.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2008 edited
    NP : CONAN THE DESTROYER - Basil Poledouris

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Backdraft - Hans Zimmer

IMO, this is one of Hans' great album (with the Bruce Hornsby tracks). The score is very emotional, grand and dynamic yet intimate; You can sense the feeling of pride, of heroism and tragedy in the scant score tracks. It's classic Hans, yet not really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Green Mile - Thomas Newman

A fantastic exercise in emotional and stunningly unnerving scoring. This particular work by Newman always re-ignites the atmosphere of the film it accompanies and is full of moments which remind me vividly of its images and messages which subsequently results in a very moving but also distressing listen. The final few score tracks on the CD are sublime - from the incredibly haunting Coffey On The Mile to the heartbreaking end credits cue. This is a very accomplished effort by Newman and I rank it among his very best.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2008
    LSH wrote
    NP: The Green Mile - Thomas Newman

A fantastic exercise in emotional and stunningly unnerving scoring. This particular work by Newman always re-ignites the atmosphere of the film it accompanies and is full of moments which remind me vividly of its images and messages which subsequently results in a very moving but also distressing listen. The final few score tracks on the CD are sublime - from the incredibly haunting Coffey On The Mile to the heartbreaking end credits cue. This is a very accomplished effort by Newman and I rank it among his very best.

I love the film too. Maybe it's a bit underrated due to the superb Shawshank Redemption.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BRIAN TYLER - bangkok dangerous

Some very surprising dark / melodic writing in here with smooth string veil and subtle vocals that remind me of Dario Marianelli's refined Beyond the Gates (Shooting Dogs). Impressive on behalf of Tyler.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Matchstick man ( Zimmer)

Weird is Good, Roy's rules, No more Pills and the Waltz are pretty good tracks.

I love the arrengements in this score.

I'm preparint myself to Go to France ( I know, Rota is istalian, but the accordion always reminds me to France). The next weekend I go to Paris, So I will listen Ratatouille and The Da Vinci Code.

Any recommendation?

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Definately Amelie!!! smile I'm jealous!I want to go to France too!!! spin
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Paris Brûle-t-il? by Maurice Jarre and La Révolution Française by Georges Delerue spring to mind.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: El Cid - Miklos Rozsa (Nic Raine recording)

Honestly the only way to do the majesty of this score justice is by using really strong language.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn