• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2008
    Martijn wrote

NP: S.W.A.T. - Elliot Goldenthal
    An excellent and exciting score, which owes not a little to the early seventies' blaxplotation film scores. smile Great percussive elements, quite funky, and so very well mastered for CD: a joy to listen to, and a brilliant adrenalin kick.

Damn right!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote

An excellent and exciting score, which owes not a little to the early seventies' blaxplotation film scores. smile Great percussive elements, quite funky, and so very well mastered for CD: a joy to listen to, and a brilliant adrenalin kick.

Damn right!

Talking of....

NP : SPHERE - Elloit Goldenthal

I really really have to be in the right mood for S.W.A.T., this score I find far more accessable as an easier listen cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: The Other Boleyn Girl
    First listening.So far so good! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE COWBOYS - John Williams

I'm not as big on this score as some people, having said that it is enjoyable and has a pleasing "Americana" sound to it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Miya wrote
    Panthera wrote
    David wrote
    Miya wrote
    NP: "The Journey Begins" and "End Credits" from Homeward Bound - Bruce Broughton

This is very important score for me (along with the bunny killer score wink )... I remember when I saw the movie as a kid, and noticed how much I loved "film music that are not songs". I could hum the great main theme after seeing the film only once. This is my favorite theme to hum & whistle even now (as well as themes from another my favorite score).

But these are only 2 tracks I have crazy Hope there will be a re-release...

I could say almost the exact same thing verbatim. This is one of my favorites movies from my childhood, and may have been one of the movies to start me on my film music journey. I certainly remember humming the main theme when I was little, and I was lucky to acquire the album just last year!

This is one of those childhood movies where I definitely noticed the music and enjoyed it a lot. Where would I be right now without it?

We're all in our early twenties, aren't we? beer

NP: Porco Rosso - Joe Hisaishi

I'm playing this again. I LOVE IT! lick

Wind Of Time and Madness ~Flight~ are two of my favorite tracks. And the piano on The Bygone Days is so relaxing cool

I'm 24. I don't remember that particular movie. But my first "musical" experience was definitely The Lion King.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES - Jerry Goldsmith

Funky "pop" score with some quirky time signatures, a large departure from JG's original but good fun. Just love the Main Title. cool
  2. Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote

Damn right!

Talking of....

I really really have to be in the right mood for S.W.A.T., this score I find far more accessable as an easier listen cool

Damn right, Sphere is more accessible for me (if such a thing can be said about a Goldenthal score wink) , I've never been able to get into SWAT all that much...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote

Damn right!

Talking of....

Damn right, Sphere is more accessible for me (if such a thing can be said about a Goldenthal score wink) , I've never been able to get into SWAT all that much...

Sphere and Michael Collins are probably the two most accessible Goldenthal scores out there. Add in Final Fantasy as well.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HELLBOUND HELLRAISER II - Christopher Young

Big choral apocolyptic horror score, possibly my all time favourite horror score at that, but also contains moments of quiet sublime beauty.
  3. NP: Night Digger - Bernard Herrmann

I'm listening to the recent re-release of this score and was especially interested to hear what had been done with the prominent harmonica solos. I'd read that instead of hearing the harmonica (an important musical character in the score) "front and centre" - as it was heard in the previous release from the mid-1990s - it had been dialled down in the mix.

And, I'm sad to say, that it has been dialled way down (and in some instances is lost completely in the strings) - a major force in the score has been well and truly castrated. Maybe I'm just more familiar with the force of the harmonica from the previous release, but this instrument is now quite insiped sounding.

The listening experience now is less harsh than before and I do think that there is some more clarity with the atmospheric passages (e.g., towards the end of track 2). So all-in-all, a mixed bag.

BTW, I was listening to a bit of Herrmann's The Kentuckian and Williamsburg - two scores recently released in the Tribute Film Classics label. For anyone who thinks that Herrmann begins and ends with Hitchcock scores then take a stab at these ones: Americana Herrmann style!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2008
    Timmer wrote

Big choral apocolyptic horror score, possibly my all time favourite horror score at that, but also contains moments of quiet sublime beauty.

What a beast! I just love this kind of Young scoring, too bad he didn't deliver such a score for quite a long now...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

What a beast! I just love this kind of Young scoring, too bad he didn't deliver such a score for quite a long now...

"what a beast"

Very apt description there D beer
  4. NP: The Edge of Love (Angelo Badalamenti)

I like this score. You'd have to like B's attempts to compose a couple of period songs - I do. The moving cues 'Home Movies' and particularly 'Fire to the Stars' adapt his Very Long Engagement theme into a less bombastic setting. Very effective choice - particularly the use of guitar. On the songs, Keira Knightley's singing is not to be laughed at - it does what it needs to.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Boys From Brazil - Jerry Goldsmith

Giving this one a spin to see if I want to lay down $30 for 55 minutes of extra music. The waltz is shamelessly over the top! Love it! The action music is lively and fans of Goldsmiths style of the late 70's early 80's will really enjoy the creativety in the orchestrations. Pretty good sound quality. Tightly miked with good room tone. I might just take the bait and get the Intrada... but I will wait until the quanities get down to 500 or so. I don't see this one going very fast. But then again it is a Goldsmith.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Agen Cody Banks ( powell)

punk

This addictive theme..or motif....but fu_king addictive!

And the kazoo march for the CIA!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    And, I'm sad to say, that it has been dialled way down (and in some instances is lost completely in the strings) - a major force in the score has been well and truly castrated. Maybe I'm just more familiar with the force of the harmonica from the previous release, but this instrument is now quite insiped sounding.

I may be confused, Alan, but didn't you state at some point that you really disliked harmonica-driven scores? I seem to remember you mentioning this in connection to Rogier van Otterloo's score to the Dutch film Turks Fruit, which quite prominently features harmonica virtuoso Toots Thielemans.

NP: Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade - John W...oh, you KNOW!

Love this score, with some great, great themes. One of that BRILLIANT batch of Williams scores of the early nineties/late eighties that also included Born On The Fourth Of July, Hook, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List and Far And Away.
    Was just watching the film on DVD the other day (I did manage to get that four-DVD box, so I'm very happy), and I was surprised how well it held up! The chemistry between Connery, Ford and Elliott is just magic, and even the lighter moments (with the exception of the "Dad! What!" chair scene which is just TOO cheesy) are very well timed and hugely amusing...but again, most of this is due to the fact that especially Connery does a truly EXCELLENT job with his character. The scene where he thinks he lost his son going over the cliff with the tank packed an unexpectedly emotional wallop that I didn't remember from my previous viewings.

Anyway, wonderful film, great score.
    I'm looking forward to see what the extended box will have to offer that tops the excellent original album.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade - John W...oh, you KNOW!

Was just watching the film on DVD the other day (I did manage to get that four-DVD box, so I'm very happy), and I was surprised how well it held up! The chemistry between Connery, Ford and Elliott is just magic, and even the lighter moments (with the exception of the "Dad! What!" chair scene which is just TOO cheesy) are very well timed and hugely amusing...but again, most of this is due to the fact that especially Connery does a truly EXCELLENT job with his character.

Almost 100% agree. The only thing I don't agree on is the cheesiness of the "Dad! What? Head for the fireplace." I love that sequence. I especially love the line a moment previous to that.

Henry Jones: I ought to tell you something.
    Indiana: Don't get sentimental now, Dad. Save it 'til we get out of here.
    Henry Jones: The floor's on fire. See?

Great dialogue and a gut busting punch line!

Martijn wrote
    The scene where he thinks he lost his son going over the cliff with the tank packed an unexpectedly emotional wallop that I didn't remember from my previous viewings.

Agreed! I think I mentioned it before but that scene has even more of an impact on me since Liam was born. It's this kind of chemistry that was completely lacking in Crystal Skull. And the hat rolling back to Indy sitting on the ground and Ford's reaction is brilliant!

Martijn wrote
    Anyway, wonderful film, great score.
    I'm looking forward to see what the extended box will have to offer that tops the excellent original album.

All I want is the latter half of "Indy Very First Adventure" with the Indy theme played on piccolo when Young Indy runs into his house to show the cross to his father and their dog "Indiana" gets a moment of screen time. I also want the Portuguese Coast music (great rendition of the Indy theme), the Journey to Castle Brunwald, Indy and Father escape from the Zeppelin, and the middle portions of "Belly of the Steal Beast" which was called "The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword" on the bootleg. Those shrilling woodwinds as Indy races up the hill ready to jump onto the tank is some of the best action music Williams has ever written.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote

All I want is the latter half of "Indy Very First Adventure" with the Indy theme played on piccolo when Young Indy runs into his house to show the cross to his father and their dog "Indiana" gets a moment of screen time. I also want the Portuguese Coast music (great rendition of the Indy theme), the Journey to Castle Brunwald, Indy and Father escape from the Zeppelin, and the middle portions of "Belly of the Steal Beast" which was called "The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword" on the bootleg. Those shrilling woodwinds as Indy races up the hill ready to jump onto the tank is some of the best action music Williams has ever written.

-Erik-

Hey, our wishlist is exactly the same! shocked smile

Nautilus wrote
    NP:Agen Cody Banks ( powell)

punk

This addictive theme..or motif....but fu_king addictive!

And the kazoo march for the CIA!!!

My hat goes off to you sir. Excuisite choise! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : RIDE WITH THE DEVIL - Mychael Danna

My favourite Danna score, big full blooded orchestral. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Edge of Love (Angelo Badalamenti)

I like this score. You'd have to like B's attempts to compose a couple of period songs - I do. The moving cues 'Home Movies' and particularly 'Fire to the Stars' adapt his Very Long Engagement theme into a less bombastic setting. Very effective choice - particularly the use of guitar. On the songs, Keira Knightley's singing is not to be laughed at - it does what it needs to.

I want that!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    franz_conrad wrote
    On the songs, Keira Knightley's singing...

Phwa? biggrin

franz_conrad wrote
    ...is not to be laughed at.

My bad. sad

( biggrin )
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Boys From Brazil - Jerry Goldsmith

Giving this one a spin to see if I want to lay down $30 for 55 minutes of extra music. The waltz is shamelessly over the top! Love it! The action music is lively and fans of Goldsmiths style of the late 70's early 80's will really enjoy the creativety in the orchestrations. Pretty good sound quality. Tightly miked with good room tone. I might just take the bait and get the Intrada... but I will wait until the quanities get down to 500 or so. I don't see this one going very fast. But then again it is a Goldsmith.

-Erik-

Reading your words I might as well pick this one up, as a fan of that period, hell anything Goldsmith did from the 80s and 90s was gold IMO. I will do as you and listen to it first though. A new Goldsmith turning up is not something that will happen often nowadays.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: The Piano~Michael Nyman
    For two obvious reasons 1. it's an absolutely perfect music creation 2. I miss my piano so much!!! cry
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SHAKEN & STIRRED : THE David Arnold JAMES BOND PROJECT

Basically Arnold's "demo" to get the Bond gig.

The album is very hit / miss, the obvious highlight is Arnold & The Propellerheads take on Barry's sublime On Her Majesty's Secret Sevice theme which interpolates 'Capsule In Space' from You Only Live Twice.

A real shame that it doesn't include the title song for You Only Live Twice which was recorded by Bjork. Thankfully Natacha Atlas recorded it but it was only available as a CD single ( I do have it cool ), More of a 'Middle' rather than 'Far' East take on the song it is drop dead scoregasmically gorgeous cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: The Painted Veil~Alexander Desplat
    I discovered this score quite recently and I can't seem to get enough of it...
  6. Yeah, Painted Veil is amazing.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. Anthony wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    On the songs, Keira Knightley's singing...

Phwa? biggrin

franz_conrad wrote
    ...is not to be laughed at.

My bad. sad

( biggrin )

I was setting someone up for that joke! wink

Just finished Umebayashi's Curse of the Golden Flower, which has a nice theme, but is pretty turgid, and now onto the wonderfully energetic 'Morgan's Ride' from Cutthroat Island. How far will I make it into this score today?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SHAKEN & STIRRED : THE David Arnold JAMES BOND PROJECT

the obvious highlight is Arnold & The Propellerheads take on Barry's sublime On Her Majesty's Secret Sevice theme

I take it you have the full 9 minute version?

Edit: Never mind, you obviously do as the radio edit doesn't feature the space march. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP The Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures (Knut Avenstroup Haugen)

omg

Great score from this (unknown to me) norwegian composer. A sampled orchestra (I thought it was real until I read it was sampled), plus real solo instruments (violins, viola, cello), a live performer (Helene Bøksle) and a choir including members of the Norwegian State Opera Choir. Simply impressive and highly recommended.
    "Hymn for King Conan" shocked

For more info about the score and composer: http://music.ign.com/articles/877/877973p1.html
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  8. Martijn wrote
    I may be confused, Alan, but didn't you state at some point that you really disliked harmonica-driven scores? I seem to remember you mentioning this in connection to Rogier van Otterloo's score to the Dutch film Turks Fruit, which quite prominently features harmonica virtuoso Toots Thielemans.

Yes, your memory is unfortunately (for me) is working in tip-top condition. Usually I really dislike harmonica-driven scores. But it is Herrmann - and I'm allowed one exception to the rule. Right?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn