• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. What cues from Witness? Building the Barn as usual?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    What cues from Witness? Building the Barn as usual?

Of course!

Only the usual things are here. As a "starter collection" for Jarre it's unbeatable.

I was thinking earlier that the reason I got into film music in the first place (when my age was measured in single digits) was because of big, sweeping themes that I loved while watching the films - you know, the sort of thing which is never, ever written any more so I wonder how anyone actually gets into this hobby any more. And now I'm thinking - when it comes to big, sweeping themes Maurice Jarre has few rivals. There's just one classic after another.
  2. You know, I think it all depends on the music you were brought up by. Sweeping themes (say, Willams, Jarre, Barry, Horner) are of course attractive and you hear them in films. Today Barry by the kids getting to film music is seen is seen as boring and I mean it. I knew about 10 people who hate Barry's music almost with a passion!

How is MV attractive? Rock rhythms, rock melody. It's not about the complexity of melody - nothing rivals Legends of the Fall or Dances with the Wolves, or Lara's theme here. But it sounds like a rock hit, it has the syncopated rhythm that is seen as exciting, is percussive, with very rhythmic backdrop. And it's loud as hell.

Of course, people's tastes have diminished. Today, the demands are much smaller than even 10 years ago. Few years more and pop music will sound like an electronic version of a simplistic Stravinsky wannabe, without half of the inventiveness of the original work. That's the sad truth.

I, myself, started with the bloated MV sound - my first score was The Rock.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2008
    El Cid (Raine rerecording) - Miklos Rozsa

I don't care what has come before, I don't care what is yet to come: this IS the issue of the year for me (something I wasn't at all sure of at first, being VERY familiar with the score in its many incarnations). Raine really puts an unabashed emotional, even sentimental, Golden Age *umph* into this recording and the City Of Prague Philharmonic acquits itself quite beautifully with material that requires the deepest of romantic sentiments.

Now I'm quite adamantly opposed against full recordings, fearing -not without cause- that such presentations will outstay their welcome due to their extreme length, or worse, become boring through the repetition of material. Many an excellent album representation has been diminished in my ears due exactly to that risk. But I'm amazed and shocked at the wealth of symphonic and lyrical material that has never been recorded before. It's like opening a secret trap door in a treasure chest to find even more gold, sapphires and rubies than struck the eye at first glance.

I can't think of a score that presents itself so powerfully over such a length of time. I could easily listen to this for hours and hours more.
    I'm in awe.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Man, I really need to give this El Cid thingamajig a spin, because A) I haven't heard a single golden age score in my life and B) everyone is praising this as it being the Star Wars of that era. shocked But isn't 3 CD's a little too much of a good thing? It's really what is putting me off a little. I need some serious pushing from the experts here to move my hand over the 'Purchase this item' button and click...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2008 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    I need some serious pushing from the experts here to move my hand over the 'Purchase this item' button and click...

If you don't buy it, I will come over and kill you.

wink
    Bloody hell, man. Just GET it already!!

Man, I really need to give this El Cid thingamajig a spin, because A) I haven't heard a single golden age score in my life

It's not actually Golden Age (1961), but it IS by one of the Golden Age's True Leading Men (and my absolute favourite). smile So if only for that reason: Bloody hell, man. Just GET it already!!

and B) everyone is praising this as it being the Star Wars of that era. shocked

Nice analogy.
    Yeah, without a doubt I would say that El Cid is Rozsa's most accessible score and one that is consistently exciting and surprising. It still boils the blood and fires the senses (listening to The El Cid March right now and as I'm listening I'm typing faster and faster and I REALLY need to kill me some Moors now and...er...well, you get the idea. It WORKS. MAN, it works! It's one sensory battle of exhaustion and emotional highlights.

But isn't 3 CD's a little too much of a good thing? It's really what is putting me off a little.

It's actually a two CD presentatrion, with the 3rd CD containing alternate cues and some unused music.
    I've not even listened to that yet. smile
    It's a score that in scope, diversity and interest EASILY sustains a double CD presentation.

In short: Bloody hell, man. Just GET it already!!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Goldsmith was given a rare opportunity to score a film that is heavy on visuals and low on dialogue so his score had to the main story teller.

All your comments Erik are great summary on Goldsmith's score for this first Star Trek movie, but it's the quoted comment that does it for me. There are so many examples of where Goldsmith's music carries the movie. To be honest, this film is so slow and watching the movie without Goldsmith's music would have the movie progressing on geological time scales. The whole cloud sequence is, for me, one of the greatest melds of visuals and music in movie history.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. Martijn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I need some serious pushing from the experts here to move my hand over the 'Purchase this item' button and click...

If you don't buy it, I will come over and kill you.
    In short: Bloody hell, man. Just GET it already!!

NOW THIS IS WHAT I CALL PUSHING!!!!!! punk lick
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. Over the last few months I've tended to listen to favourite cues from my CDs. And over the last hour or so there's been the usual mixed bag of scores and styles:

"Dunkin Donuts" - The Astronaut Farmer - Stuart Matthewman
    Quirky Americana in small doses is fine and this fits the bill.

"Manhattan Skyline" - Saturday Night Fever - David Shire
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqYZE-sHL68 A great disco tune!

"Cue Bill Conti" - Tropic Thunder - Theodore Shapiro
    I'm not too familiar with Conti's work but I'm sure that this is some sort of homage to Conti's work. Whatever, there's great string writing in this short cue. But it echoes the top quality of the CD as a whole.

"Summer 78 (Instrumental)" - Goodbye, Lenin! - Yann Tiersen
    Love the piano line to this cue and the way that the various instruments in the small ensemble enter as the cue progresses. A great companion to the vocal version.

"Going Out" - Kikujiro - Joe Hisaishi
    Another distinctive piano-led cue. This is a prime example of how the clip contests can showcase scores that I would otherwise not hear.

"Transformation" - Tin Man - Simon Boswell
    Powerful brass passages and frenetic strings provide an exciting 3-4 minutes. I find this whole score a very entertaining listen but it seems to have passed most people by?

"Granny and Wes Unite" - Walking Across Egypt - Marco Beltrami
    A very different sound to Beltrami's trademark percussive scoring of today. Small ensemble and slight Americana feel.

"Dogen & Rhodes Drive" - Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn - Richard Band
    Reminds me a lot of early James Horner (e.g., Krull) with the driving string ostinato and brass fanfares.

"Barn Burn" - xXx²: State of The Union - Marco Beltrami
    Packed full of growling electric guitars and drum kit, the combination of these and great brass lines suggests that Beltrami would provide a great Bond score if given the chance.

"Finale" - Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of The Crystal Skull - John Williams
    Brought together in this finale, the various aspects of Williams' score gel well with the rest of the series of films. This movie was playing on the plane on the way out to Malta the other day. The movie looked like fun...but the ending? Maybe I should have forked out the £5 for the headphones so I could watch the movie with sound?

"Battle of The Pics" - George and The Dragon - Gast Waltzing
    Anyone know why this one sounds so classical? Reminds me of something like a Slavonic or Hungarian dance.

"Opening Titles" - 25th Hour - Terence Blanchard
    For me, one of the saddest but most beautiful themes in movie scoring.

...and then my mp3 player's battery ran out.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2008
    NP: Star Trek: TMP - Goldsmith

Eric, your thoughts on this fantasticly brilliant score was so spot on. You nailed it! (You too Timmer!)

Simply one of the greatest scores of all time. It saved (or at least improved) the film!

A similar thing could also be said of Horner's Krull.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Something's happened, Miya?

A lot of annoying things happened after I was away from home 2 weeks... my bedclothes got moldy, the shower doesn't work well, CD player refuses to throw out CDs, and this rainy weather! crazy

So I need something fun to listen today...

NP: Pom Poko - Shang Shang Typhoon

Perfect. biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    More fun music...

NP: A League Of Their Own - Hans Zimmer

Love the moment when swinging orchestra exploding punk
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  7. Southall wrote
    The Emotion and the Strength - Maurice Jarre

This guy's written so much magnificent music and this compilation brilliantly captures his highlights. Witness - The Man Who Would Be King - Lawrence of Arabia - so much more. An album I would say any film music fan should own.

Sadly it's out of print.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  8. franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Emotion and the Strength - Maurice Jarre

This guy's written so much magnificent music and this compilation brilliantly captures his highlights. Witness - The Man Who Would Be King - Lawrence of Arabia - so much more. An album I would say any film music fan should own.

Sadly it's out of print.

But it's still quite easy to get a hold of.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Bangkok Dangerous | Brian Tyler

Freakin' rules. Add it to the list of the best Tyler action scores!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Bangkok Dangerous | Brian Tyler

Freakin' rules. Add it to the list of the best Tyler action scores!

shocked shocked
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Playing it as well: one word:

DAMN! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CAPTAIN SCARLET - Barry Gray

Indestructible Man punk cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Jumper: Griffin's Story - Chris Tilton

Much, much, MUCH better than Powell's effort. This is really good stuff.

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CROSSING TO AFRICA - Various Artists

Fantastic compilation by Martin ( Tintin ) that some of you here are familiar with.

Very enjoyable cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote

DAMN! punk

While parts of it are directly ripped from War, I can enjoy this a lot more as it doesn't have any of the R&B crap in. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

DAMN! punk

While parts of it are directly ripped from War, I can enjoy this a lot more as it doesn't have any of the R&B crap in. punk

Yeah, the action parts with the string ostinati and middle-eastern percussion moves pretty much in the same territory of WAR indeed but the slower / melodic parts with the subtle synth veil, smooth vocals, strings, piano and guitar are the real treat in this score imo. Surprisingly touching in parts. I love it as a whole, very modern sound.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Ben Hur (2cd edition)~Miklos Rozsa
    Just one phrase:
    Oh my God!!!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  9. Exactly, Stavi!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Stavroula wrote
    NP: Ben Hur (2cd edition)~Miklos Rozsa
    Just one phrase:
    Oh my God!!!

One of THE greatest scores EVER! punk

What is 2nd edition??
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Not 2nd: two CD edition: the Rhino one. smile

Me, I prefer the Phase IV. WAY better listening experience.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Not 2nd: two CD edition: the Rhino one. smile

Me, I prefer the Phase IV. WAY better listening experience.

Ah, comprende biggrin

The Phase IV is fantastic, unfortunately I don't have it on CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ...you...DON'T?!?!?

GET
    THIS
    ONE.

It's coupled with Quo Vadis and DIRT cheap (12 quid or so?).
    Honestly, this is an absolute MUST-have!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    ...you...DON'T?!?!?

GET
    THIS
    ONE.

It's coupled with Quo Vadis and DIRT cheap (12 quid or so?).
    Honestly, this is an absolute MUST-have!

Will do. It's been on my ever expanding lists for some time.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : TESS - Philippe Sarde

Wonderful score! cool