• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2008 edited
    NP:Amazing Grace (Arnold)

Sublime main theme, and some very tender tracks. Not a perfect cd listening, but with a lot of good moments.

It's refreshing here a "minimalistic" arnold score.

"Triumph" and "we have a new hope" are winners ! (mmm.... dizzy )
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Gonna play two classics today.

NP: Aliens - James Horner

This is one of finest scores Horner has ever written and the Deluxe Edition release is simply superb. Every note is worth hearing. And the bonus percussion only tracks just goes to show how complex this score is and how LSO percussion players were so dead on with their performance.

After Aliens I will be spinning Goldsmith's master work, Star Trek: The Motion Picture I've also have a itch to play The Big Country wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Erik Woods wrote

This is one of finest scores Horner has ever written and the Deluxe Edition release is simply superb. Every note is worth hearing. And the bonus percussion only tracks just goes to show how complex this score is and how LSO percussion players were so dead on with their performance.

-Erik-

The score that ignited my interest in film music... The DE is indeed legendary stuff. I would give my right pinky for Horner to return to this style of composing.

NP: Deep Blue - George Fenton

Thematically rich and played truly spectacularly by the Berliner Philharmoniker for a brilliant documentary. George Fenton truly pulled out all the stops when he wrote this. The quieter tracks create a mood that is simply wonderful to return to.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote

After Aliens I will be spinning Goldsmith's master work, Star Trek: The Motion Picture I've also have a itch to play The Big Country wink

-Erik-

Play all three for a hat trick Erik. wink

Enjoy your evening of brilliance! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Play all three for a hat trick Erik. wink

Enjoy your evening of brilliance! beer

I am!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Atham wrote
    The Ninth Gate: Wojciech Kilar

I've been on a Kilar kick over the last few days.

Absolutely brilliant score!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : EXPLORERS - Jerry Goldsmith

Love the theme, love the score.....expanded please!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Iris - James Horner

Beautiful score.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    I'm listening to clips from Joe Hisashi's Four Gods soundtracks, and it sounds really beautiful. A bit of Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, yet strangely un-Miyazaki too and truly a big expansive score an epic Korean drama deserves.

But is it worth the $40 imported price? confused
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    HANS ZIMMER - backdraft

Mostly loved and for a good reason wink Although not a big fan of the heavy synths, still they make perfect sense when taken into perspective and the fit the orchestral whole largely. I particularly like the slower, more dramatic parts and a smile is always upon me through the early hints of Gladiator's "battle" elements in tracks like "Burn It All". The ending "show me your firetruck" is of course a winner. Not a score i return to frequently but when i do, it's largely enjoyable.

I would definitely pay for an expanded edition of this classy score. Early Zimmer is brilliant, don't you just love that choir kicking in during 'You Go We Go'. That always gets my blood boiling in a positive way!!!!!

Wait in line. The Lion King deserves top priority. And there are no rabbits in the movie for a reason.
  1. biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. C'mon Lion King already has a bootleg or recording sessions, where Backdraft just has the meagre thirty minutes of score. And the movie came first!!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2008
    I'm not satisfied with the low-quality bootleg or nonexistent recording sessions...

Sorry bunnies. wink

NP: Back To The Future Part II - Alan Silvestri

Not much different from Part I but still great main theme cool
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  3. Well we (my brother and I) managed to stumble upon a great sounding complete recording (supposedly recording sessions, but it may well have been a bootleg, I can't say) of TLK, which was played in a much slower tempo than the original, so after some tweaking in Cool Edit Pro, we produced ourselves a more than capable sounding copy of the original, with superb sound quality and only two or three tracks in mono. For us two this will do until Disney gets of its bottom and does the unthinkable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2008 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Well we (my brother and I) managed to stumble upon a great sounding complete recording (supposedly recording sessions, but it may well have been a bootleg, I can't say) of TLK, which was played in a much slower tempo than the original, so after some tweaking in Cool Edit Pro, we produced ourselves a more than capable sounding copy of the original, with superb sound quality and only two or three tracks in mono. For us two this will do until Disney gets of its bottom and does the unthinkable.

I'd have been ok with that one (I found it somewhere too, but the quality IMO is OK not GREAT), had not quite some great tracks been in mono, and the awesome full stampede track missing (only the album version of To Die For was there). And mono tracks cannot be made real stereo, unfortunately. I've found about a hundred versions of the TLK bootleg in which people tried to mak the mono stereo, but you can hear they're all fake stereo. I really pray the score is rescued one day! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote

I will be spinning Goldsmith's master work, Star Trek: The Motion Picture
    -Erik-

Why do you consider Star Trek his masterwork?

NP:Mulan (Goldsmith)

A lucky bug beer All the action from Mulan stuf beer (his best heroic action stuff with Rambo, and that's say very much)...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

NP:Mulan (Goldsmith)

A lucky bug beer All the action from Mulan stuf beer (his best heroic action stuff with Rambo, and that's say very much)...

Star Trek TMP could be turned into a symphony. In fact I'm sure I heard Goldsmith himself mention this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Star Trek TMP could be turned into a symphony. In fact I'm sure I heard Goldsmith himself mention this?

That would be something else!

As for why ST: TMP is a masterwork. Man, I wish I kept all of my Now Playing reviews that I wrote at scorereviews. Anyway, it's simply perfect from start to finish. Goldsmith was given a rare opportunity to score a film that is heavy on visuals and low on dialogue so his score had to be the main story teller. The theme is iconic, the Klingon theme is possibility the most influential theme in the entire Star Trek saga. The primal sounds have been utilized by the many composers who have come after Goldsmith. Ilia's Theme is a lush, romantic cue that is underutilized in the score. But when it does make an appearance it is most welcome, especially during the film's finale. Maybe that's why Goldsmith didn't reference it as much. It has much more of an impact when the theme appears at end of the score along with a noble statement of the Star Trek theme and a reprise of The Enterprise cue. Classic stuff!!!

In addition you have what is arguably Goldsmith's great moment, The Enterprise. Again, here is yet another sequence devoid of dialogue with only gorgeous images of The Enterprise. Without the music, it's a bloated sequence that needs a good trim. But once Goldsmith's brilliant music is overlaid you wish there was 3 or 4 minutes more to see and hear.

Goldsmith's score made a snoozer of a picture into something majestic, awe inspiring, and vibrant. Also, Goldsmith was at the top of his game and the highest of his creativity in 1979. He managed to dig deep a find that emotional punch that was missing and brought it all out in the music. Here is a classic example of a score making a film better. There is no way that this film would have been watchable if it weren't for Goldsmith. The fact that he was able to find the right notes for this film is truly remarkable since he was spending most of his time writing and recording to unfinished visual effects.

I'm sure there is more to say about this fine score but I'll leave that to others. Overall, it's a score with such great depth, creative orchestrations (the blaster beam is legendary) and some of film music's most memorable themes. It's Goldsmith's masterwork!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    DemonStar wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Well we (my brother and I) managed to stumble upon a great sounding complete recording (supposedly recording sessions, but it may well have been a bootleg, I can't say) of TLK, which was played in a much slower tempo than the original, so after some tweaking in Cool Edit Pro, we produced ourselves a more than capable sounding copy of the original, with superb sound quality and only two or three tracks in mono. For us two this will do until Disney gets of its bottom and does the unthinkable.

I'd have been ok with that one (I found it somewhere too, but the quality IMO is OK not GREAT), had not quite some great tracks been in mono, and the awesome full stampede track missing (only the album version of To Die For was there). And mono tracks cannot be made real stereo, unfortunately. I've found about a hundred versions of the TLK bootleg in which people tried to mak the mono stereo, but you can hear they're all fake stereo. I really pray the score is rescued one day! smile

You know what, I'll listen to it later, I'm getting in the mood for Zimmer biggrin , just to make sure how it all sounds, I'm pretty sure most track are in real stereo (I know how fake mono sounds) and crisp sounding. I'll give you the details later.

NP: Star Wars - Return of the Jedi (from the 4-disc Anthology set)

Equally stunning grand finale of the Anthology set, which is actually better structered than and featuring all highlights from the complete album. This is my favourite SW score, because it features the most stunning renditions of all the themes (Vader's theme!!!) and the fun Ewok medley, as well as one of Williams' greatest themes for a baddie namely the Emperor. The action material found here is simply stunning. This one goes out with a bang, emotionally and energetically.

For the very last time, I know I'm beginning to sound cliché:

This is what I call film music!!!

punk punk punk punk punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Quantum Of Solace (complete) | David Arnold

Just kidding. I'm very, very bored at work. slant sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Spanglish - Hans Zimmer

It's midnight here and I can't sleep sad So I'm playing my favorite to calm down...
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  4. Something's happened, Miya?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    EL CID | el miklos

OOOOOH!

The second disc is my favourite disc of this year! And my favourite tracks are ... euhm ... hard to choose! Valencia for th Cid is one of them for sure.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    el miklos

Bt's assistant?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Quantum Of Solace (complete) | David Arnold

Just kidding. I'm very, very bored at work. slant sad

Obviously trying to get ME excited eh Anthony!? biggrin wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

That would be something else!

As for why ST: TMP is a masterwork. Man, I wish I kept all of my Now Playing reviews that I wrote at scorereviews. Anyway, it's simply perfect from start to finish. Goldsmith was given a rare opportunity to score a film that is heavy on visuals and low on dialogue so his score had to the main story teller. The theme is iconic, the Klingon theme is possibility the most influential theme in the entire Star Trek saga. The primal sounds have been utilized by the many composers who have come after Goldsmith. Ilia's Theme is a lush, romantic cue that is underutilized in the score. But when it does make an appearance it is most welcome, especially during the film's finale. Maybe that's why Goldsmith didn't reference it as much. It has much more of an impact when the theme appears at end of the score along with a noble statement of the Star Trek theme and a reprise of The Enterprise cue. Classic stuff!!!

In addition you have what is arguably Goldsmith's great moment, The Enterprise. Again, here is yet another sequence devoid of dialogue with only gorgeous images of The Enterprise. Without the music, it's a bloated sequence that needs a good trim. But once Goldsmith's brilliant music is overlaid you wish there was 3 or 4 minutes more to see and hear.

Goldsmith's score made a snoozer of a picture into something majestic, awe inspiring, and vibrant. Also, Goldsmith was at the top of his game and the high of his creativity in 1979. He managed to dig deep a find that emotional punch that was missing and brought it all out in the music. Here is a classic example of a score making a film better. There is no way that this film would have been watchable if it weren't for Goldsmith. The fact that he was able to find the right notes for this film is truly remarkable since he was spending most of his time writing and recording to unfinished visual effects.

I'm sure there is more to say about this fine score but I'll leave that to others. Overall, it's a score with such great depth, creative orchestrations (the blaster beam is legendary) and some of film music's most memorable themes. It's Goldsmith's masterwork!

-Erik-

Brilliantly put Eric!

I'll just add my tuppence worth and point out my very favourite aspect of this score which is the COSMIC cues, the wonderful otherworldly sequences for The Cloud, Vegur Flyover, the powerful ( and best use of the "blaster Beam" ) The Force Field, Spock Walk and the gloriously magnificent The Meld.

Film scores rarely ( extremely rarely ) come anywhere near this.
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    Bregt wrote
    el miklos

Bt's assistant?

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Martijn wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Southall wrote
    Tours Du Monde Tours Du Ciel - Georges Delerue

Last time I tried it went for over $60 on ebay crazy

That's a steal. You should have got it. sad
    The "official" value now puts it at around $ 175

I know now sad
    But it's only about 23 minutes. I'm not going to pay so much for it.
    Anyway after all this, I did see it on ebay recently and bid on it. No luck even in the $100s
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PLANET OF THE APES - Jerry Goldsmith

Not one I return to often though there's no denying it's brilliance, very listenable but I do have to be in the right mood....The Hunt is stunning!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Emotion and the Strength - Maurice Jarre

This guy's written so much magnificent music and this compilation brilliantly captures his highlights. Witness - The Man Who Would Be King - Lawrence of Arabia - so much more. An album I would say any film music fan should own.