• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2008 edited
    BhelPuri wrote
    Southall wrote
    Tours Du Monde Tours Du Ciel - Georges Delerue

Last time I tried it went for over $60 on ebay crazy

That's a steal. You should have got it. sad
    The "official" value now puts it at around $ 175
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2008
    Martijn wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Southall wrote

Darn, darn, darn.

NP: Georges Delerue ("Great Composers" compilation)
    Does the fact that I feel just as much love for Delerue and Jablonsky (although different kinds of love to be sure) mean that I am open-minded in my musical tastes, or that I am just plain weird? smile

About to play...Goldsmith's The Omen for the very first time.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Doctor Who "Children In Need" Cardiff Millennium Arena Concert (2006) - Murray Gold

Were you watching the video or is there a CD/DVD available?

Ahhh, there IS a bootleg DVD available.
    What I did is get a copy of that and extract the soundtrack (which is in amazingly good quality!)
    I then proceeded to edit it to cut tracks to a proper format and create my own CD.
    Works lovely!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    Martijn wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Southall wrote

Darn, darn, darn.

Does the fact that I feel just as much love for Delerue and Jablonsky (although different kinds of love to be sure) mean that I am open-minded in my musical tastes, or that I am just plain weird? smile

About to play...Goldsmith's The Omen for the very first time.

It's a great score! I'd like to know what you think?

You love Jablonsky? Well, I love Beethoven and Giorgio Moroder so who am I to say how weird you are!? dizzy wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote

Open-minded within film music certainly. But surely you must draw some sort of line as to which composer you think deserves more respect?

I love a KFC just as much as a fancy restaurant meal, just for very different reasons. I would still say the fancy restaurant meal is by far the superior choice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    John Williams - Seven Years in Tibet
    Lovely score, I've been playing it since i was a child.
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    Scribe wrote

Open-minded within film music certainly. But surely you must draw some sort of line as to which composer you think deserves more respect?

Yes, I would.
    But love is a result of how much I enjoy the music, not how much I respect it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Rian wrote

I need to bring music to work too.
    Kazoo
  1. Good idea!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote
    Steven wrote
    Scribe wrote

Yes, I would.
    But love is a result of how much I enjoy the music, not how much I respect it.

Completely agree, love isn't logical. But with that in mind, I'm not entirely sure what your point was?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    Bregt wrote
    Rian wrote

There's always the internet for streams, too smile
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    Completely agree, love isn't logical. But with that in mind, I'm not entirely sure what your point was?

I feel like the film music fan community is rather polarized between people who have a great preference for more traditional film music and people who have a great preference from more modern, pop-influenced film music like that which usually comes from Team Zimmer. And given that I have equally strong tastes for both, I kind of feel stuck in the middle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Bregt wrote
    Rian wrote

I have my entire music library (mostly in FLAC) on a portable hard drive that I keep at work. Its nice. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Rian wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Rian wrote

There's always the internet for streams, too smile

And ear plugs. wink

But yes, Seven years in Tibet is excellent! The main theme is definitely one of my favourite themes, also since it's centered around a cello performance.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    And I need to bring cookies too.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anastasia (promo) David Newman

First listen. Impressive stuff! (I've enjoyed the regular short release for some time now.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    Steven wrote

I feel like the film music fan community is rather polarized between people who have a great preference for more traditional film music and people who have a great preference from more modern, pop-influenced film music like that which usually comes from Team Zimmer. And given that I have equally strong tastes for both, I kind of feel stuck in the middle.

No need to feel stuck in-between anything. Just listen what you like, let yourself enjoy what you love and stop thinking so much wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Steven wrote

No need to feel stuck in-between anything. Just listen what you like, let yourself enjoy what you love and stop thinking so much wink

I guess I have the same, really.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nobody's going to have a go at anyone for saying they love a certain composer more or the same as another certain composer (well, I hope not anyway). But I guess on the flipside, if you were to say Jablonky is better than Delerue, it would understandably create a little unrest! (Which you didn't of course. smile)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Atonement - Dario Marianelli

Although I think the score in general is pretty good, I'm still completely addicted to the Elegy For Dunkirk cue. I just love how the strings build so passionately and the vocals fade in and out. A very soothing but thought-provoking track. I still haven't seen the film but I have watched the scene that this cue accompanies on YouTube and it works brilliantly.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    LSH wrote
    NP: Atonement - Dario Marianelli

Although I think the score in general is pretty good, I'm still completely addicted to the Elegy For Dunkirk cue. I just love how the strings build so passionately and the vocals fade in and out. A very soothing but thought-provoking track. I still haven't seen the film but I have watched the scene that this cue accompanies on YouTube and it works brilliantly.

cool

Pretty much the only score that has won an Academy Award in the last 4 years that I've been a film music fan that actually deserved it...

Btw I think The Omen is a fabulous score! There is enough quiet/tender music to keep the creepiness from being overwhelming.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Do you have The Final Conflict? I prefer that score to be honest, the last cue is astonishing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    LSH wrote
    Do you have The Final Conflict? I prefer that score to be honest, the last cue is astonishing!

I recently purchased the box set of the Varese deluxe editions because Amazon was selling it really cheap. So I have all three but I haven't gotten to the sequel scores yet. I will, once I have listened to the original a few times.

NP: Fateless - Ennio Morricone
    Gorgeous beyond words. Everytime that ascending theme appears, the veil between the present world and eternity momentarily pulls away.

...or something. smile

And I really want to see the accompanying film after the comments about it in the Recent Viewing topic! I plan on purchasing it next month.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Steven wrote

First listen. Impressive stuff! (I've enjoyed the regular short release for some time now.)

Second listen. I love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Steven wrote

Second listen. I love it.

I love it, too. I just finished creating a short 4:37 suite from that score for my next compilation album.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nice. Though 4:37 seems too short to me! shocked wink

The Phantom David Newman

Over the past year, this one has really become a firm favourite. That theme is scoregasmic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I had not thought that the concepts of "David Newman", "theme", and "scoregasmic" could be so interconnected.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Nice. Though 4:37 seems too short to me! shocked wink [/blue]

I got the first 57 seconds of the Prologue then jumped ahead to the great Russian choir theme heard during the end of that track. I then ended the suite off with the latter half of the finale. It works.

Steven wrote
    The Phantom David Newman

Over the past year, this one has really become a firm favourite. That theme is scoregasmic!

A brilliant score. One that is not talked about enough. Truly one of the great comic book film scores out there. A dynamite theme, thrilling action material and a spinetingling finale that you will want to repeat over and over again! I also created a suite out of this one as well. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    LSH wrote

I recently purchased the box set of the Varese deluxe editions because Amazon was selling it really cheap. So I have all three but I haven't gotten to the sequel scores yet. I will, once I have listened to the original a few times.

NP: Fateless - Ennio Morricone
    Gorgeous beyond words. Everytime that ascending theme appears, the veil between the present world and eternity momentarily pulls away.

...or something. smile

And I really want to see the accompanying film after the comments about it in the Recent Viewing topic! I plan on purchasing it next month.

The Final Conflict is quite different from the previous two Omen scores, let me know what you think Matt?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Nice. Though 4:37 seems too short to me! shocked wink [/blue]

I got the first 57 seconds of the Prologue then jumped ahead to the great Russian choir theme heard during the end of that track. I then ended the suite off with the latter half of the finale. It works.

Steven wrote
    The Phantom David Newman

A brilliant score. One that is not talked about enough. Truly one of the great comic book film scores out there. A dynamite theme, thrilling action material and a spinetingling finale that you will want to repeat over and over again! I also created a suite out of this one as well. wink

-Erik-

I was sure for a time that it was only you and I that were extolling the virtues of Newman's excellent Phantom score Erik!?

Glad you enjoy it Steven beer