• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2008
    It's gut-wrenching to think what they might have experienced on the plane, particularly because it could have and can happen to any one of us, as with any catastrophe like this. Not much you can do but feel bad for the victims and victims' families. Praying won't do much good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Fargo - Carter Burwell

I watched this masterpiece last night and have had the incredible main theme (I know, I know, it's not really by Burwell) running through my head all day, so I had to listen to the album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2008 edited
    ANGELO BADALAMENTI - Wicker Man

Pretty solid and surprisingly thematic orchestral horror score for a crappy movie. The usual Badalamenti synths and chilling atmosphere are also there.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    It's gut-wrenching to think what they might have experienced on the plane, particularly because it could have and can happen to any one of us, as with any catastrophe like this. Not much you can do but feel bad for the victims and victims' families. Praying won't do much good.

It's truly unthinkable. I suggest we keep this to the Talking Airplanes thread.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christodoulides wrote
    Badalamenti's synths are one of the very few (if not the only) that i have always been enjoying.

But not on TWIN PEAKS , too much for me to handle rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Badalamenti's synths are one of the very few (if not the only) that i have always been enjoying.

But not on TWIN PEAKS , too much for me to handle rolleyes

It's very dark but I do like them.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    The Final Conflict - Jerry Goldsmith

Absolutely stunning, a masterpiece.

punk punk punk punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    lp wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Not at all.

I'm old enough to have actually been excited by the prospect of Conti scoring a Bond film, at the time I was still disappointed that Barry wasn't scoring it but thought that Conti was a great choice.

The score imo is horrible, the disco elements were bad then and are still bad now, I really don't like this score save for a few good tracks.

You can still thank John Barry for For Your Eyes Only, he's the one who recommended Conti because he was unavailable.

Gotcha. I just have a fondness for 70s music. I'm contemplating listening to George Martin's Live and Let Die score too... dizzy
    The era is making a comeback though, albeit through fashion and other funky aesthetics. It's kinda nice.

I absolutely LOVE Martin's Live And Let Die, horses for corses and all that eh!? wink

p.s. I love Michel Legrand's music and was really looking forward to Never Say Never Again......until I heard it slant

Speaking of Legrand... I still haven't heard his score to The Thomas Crown Affairs yet. And I really like the Bill Conti version.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    ANGELO BADALAMENTI - Wicker Man

Pretty solid and surprisingly thematic orchestral horror score for a crappy movie. The usual Badalamenti synths and chilling atmosphere are also there.

The score sounded worse in the movie.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote
    Timmer wrote
    lp wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Not at all.

I'm old enough to have actually been excited by the prospect of Conti scoring a Bond film, at the time I was still disappointed that Barry wasn't scoring it but thought that Conti was a great choice.

The score imo is horrible, the disco elements were bad then and are still bad now, I really don't like this score save for a few good tracks.

You can still thank John Barry for For Your Eyes Only, he's the one who recommended Conti because he was unavailable.

Gotcha. I just have a fondness for 70s music. I'm contemplating listening to George Martin's Live and Let Die score too... dizzy
    The era is making a comeback though, albeit through fashion and other funky aesthetics. It's kinda nice.

I absolutely LOVE Martin's Live And Let Die, horses for corses and all that eh!? wink

p.s. I love Michel Legrand's music and was really looking forward to Never Say Never Again......until I heard it slant

Speaking of Legrand... I still haven't heard his score to The Thomas Crown Affairs yet. And I really like the Bill Conti version.

I quite like Conti's version but Legrand's is a classic, a very ecclectic score full of intrigueing and varied tracks ranging from swinging to laid back loungy jazz with great dramatic cues, particularly for piano and orchestra. And how can you not love The Windmills Of Your Mind played on Harpsicord cool

In my book it's a 5 star score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    I quite like Conti's version but Legrand's is a classic, a very ecclectic score full of intrigueing and varied tracks ranging from swinging to laid back loungy jazz with great dramatic cues, particularly for piano and orchestra. And how can you not love The Windmills Of Your Mind played on Harpsicord cool

In my book it's a 5 star score.

Not just you it would appear...

http://www.movie-wave.net/titles/thomas … ffair.html

(damn, why are the pictures not loading?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    LSH wrote

punk punk punk punk punk

Absofrigginlutely. Have you had this one for long? I can't remember you posting it about it before. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    Southall wrote
    Not just you it would appear...

http://www.movie-wave.net/titles/thomas … ffair.html

(damn, why are the pictures not loading?)

... because the image urls are outdated (http://moviewave.mysite.freeserve.com/t … affair.jpg).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Steven wrote
    LSH wrote

punk punk punk punk punk

Absofrigginlutely. Have you had this one for long? I can't remember you posting it about it before. smile

I'd say I've had it for about a year now, around a time when I went through a long stage of discovering some older (70s/80s) Goldsmith classics. The greatest film composer who ever lived IMO.

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Definitely one of the finest film composers, and my personal favourite (along with Williams... I decided a long time ago I would never be able to choose between the two! biggrin )

Also, I'm loving your signature quote. I read it in a certain favourite book of mine, and of course I agree. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2008
    NP Rudy (Jerry Goldsmith)

It´s been too long since I played this one. The main theme is so beautiful I could be listening to it for hours.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. NP: Interlude / The Rapture (Delerue)

Though this reconstruction of the scores relies a bit on samples, both scores are so beautiful - particularly Interlude - that I could listen to them all morning anyway.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    Steven wrote
    LSH wrote

punk punk punk punk punk

I'd say I've had it for about a year now, around a time when I went through a long stage of discovering some older (70s/80s) Goldsmith classics. The greatest film composer who ever lived IMO.

smile

The greatest film composer who ever lived? ABSOLUTELY! punk beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    LSH wrote
    Steven wrote
    LSH wrote

punk punk punk punk punk

smile

The greatest film composer who ever lived? ABSOLUTELY! punk beer

One of the greatest... ABSOLUTELY! beer

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    IMO of course! smile beer

NP : A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS - Ennio Morricone

Sublime! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: Film Music Compilation David Shire

A nice introduction to the world of Shire.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
  2. Was listening to Atonement this morning. What a unique and well thought out score. I love the creativity with the typewriter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2008 edited
    Marselus wrote
    NP Rudy (Jerry Goldsmith)

It´s been too long since I played this one. The main theme is so beautiful I could be listening to it for hours.

This was one of those handful of scores left for me to discover only after he passed away (shame on me, I know). When I finished listening to the last two tracks for the first time, I was a mess. Knowing that something as beautiful and powerful as those two tracks would never ever be written again was a pain too hurting to bear. Yeah, there will be other good stuff by other composers, but Goldsmith´s style is a very special one, and those tracks captured everything that Goldsmith ever was for me quite perfectly.

Hell, I miss him...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    Was listening to Atonement this morning. What a unique and well thought out score. I love the creativity with the typewriter.

I remember the personal shift of opinions that occurred to me with that score; how much i went from not being able to understand nor stand the use of the typewriter on cd alone before i've seen the film to actually adoring and giving it much more playtime than anything else, after i've watched the film twice. Marianelli must be one of the most gifted composers working out there today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BASIL POLEDOURIS - Cherry 2000

What a fantastic main theme! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2008 edited
    KARL JENKINS - the river queen

Jenkins' works are very lyrical, led by choral beauty and truly admirable themes which are the primal characteristic and musical ingredient of this score as well, driving throughout in dense fashion. River Queen is one of the finest examples of how some people are (thankfully) still able to actually compose coherent musical works with a structure and aim, a beginning, middle and climax, with real instruments, arrangements and grand melodies. Jenkins is one the finest of those.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BEAR MCCREARY - Battlestar Galactica season 3

A phenomenal work overall has been done on this Battlstar Galactica scores and this third score is probably the most diverse and rich. Especially if you consider the age of the composer and the current trends of the business, McCreary has not only created a genuine, own and instantly recognizable sound but he's gone onto levels of musical quality (when it comes to actually creating and evolving through imaginative arrangements and rich instrumentation or profound and meaningful melodic / thematic manipulation) rarely reached by composers of his age and status in our days. I'd say that he's an example to be looked upon by his fellow colleagues, some of them already in the business. Outstanding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: The Lion King - Hans Zimmer

Have I already told you that I love this score? wink
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote
    NP: The Lion King - Hans Zimmer