• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2008
    When Horner's at his best, he's one of the finest film scorers who ever lived IMO. This is why he still remains one of my top three film composers.

Haven't listened to Willow for quiet a while now, thanks for the reminder!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Pulling a Jordi here but I just had to comment on the brilliance of "Escape from the Tavern" from Willow. Holy Shit! Only a few composers would get away with writing an epic action cue like this these days and Horner is one of those people. Bloody brilliant!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote
    NP: The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe - HGW

Yep, whatever people say, I really love this score. "Historical Narnia" theme is one of my favorite movie themes of all time. I just feel good when I listen to it. There's no other reason. smile

You're not alone; I love this too! biggrin beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Pulling a Jordi here but I just had to comment on the brilliance of "Escape from the Tavern" from Willow. Holy Shit! Only a few composers would get away with writing an epic action cue like this these days and Horner is one of those people. Bloody brilliant!

-Erik-

Great track!

The CD is the same program as the LP release.....that was one exceptionally long LP release! spin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Laputa (Original Soundtrack) - Joe Hisaishi

It sounds very synthy. But who cares! Great themes. Catchy tunes. Beautiful song. cool
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Ten Commandments - Elmer Bernstein

This is one score I LOVE!! punkpunkpunkpunkpunk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2008 edited
    Miya wrote
    NP: Laputa

Spanish people really talks a lot about this score, La puta this... La puta allò...
    biggrin

NP:The Battle (Cuthroad Island) Vs I don't think now is the best Time (Awe)

Go Zimmer Go...you almost win here!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Miya wrote

Spanish people really talks a lot about this score, La puta this... La puta allò...
    biggrin

biggrin biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Miya wrote

biggrin

biggrin biggrin

Did you understand what i said? rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Miya wrote

biggrin

biggrin biggrin

of course; isn't la puta a whore?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Miya wrote

biggrin

biggrin biggrin

of course; isn't la puta a whore?

Yeap! and it's used like an expression to.

like. "dammed! what is it?"

I see your control of the spanish language wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I know a lot more than you think mate...also "putana" means "whore" in Greek too wink
  1. Actually, I've heard that when it comes to the movie Man on Fire (the remake), they wanted to call the girl Puta, but by the second or third draft they noticed what it means in Spanish (9 year old Puta biggrin ), so they got back to the original Pita biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Nautilus wrote
    Miya wrote

biggrin

confused

*asks Mr. Google translator*

LOL biggrin

NP: Path Of The Wind from My Neighbor Totoro - Joe Hisaishi

I'm in "Hisaishi synth" mood now cool Love it!
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    I've no problem with "cheesy" or "guilty classics" though I'd rather not refer to them as "guilty" wink It's just For Your Eyes Only, it's horrible, but it is only my opinion wink

Is it "horrible" because it's suppose to be Barry/Bond music that you wanted to listen to? confused
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I've no problem with "cheesy" or "guilty classics" though I'd rather not refer to them as "guilty" wink It's just For Your Eyes Only, it's horrible, but it is only my opinion wink

Is it "horrible" because it's suppose to be Barry/Bond music that you wanted to listen to? confused

Not at all.

I'm old enough to have actually been excited by the prospect of Conti scoring a Bond film, at the time I was still disappointed that Barry wasn't scoring it but thought that Conti was a great choice.

The score imo is horrible, the disco elements were bad then and are still bad now, I really don't like this score save for a few good tracks.

You can still thank John Barry for For Your Eyes Only, he's the one who recommended Conti because he was unavailable.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Back to Willow for a second... I wasn't familiar with Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky when I first heard this score but the "Battle on the Ice" music in "Tir Asleen" is NOW a major distraction. And I'm sure there are many more Prokofiev rips in this score as well. Maybe that's why I stir clear of classical music. wink Anyway, I still absolutely adore this score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christodoulides wrote
    ANDREW LOCKINGTON - Journey To The Center Of The Earth

Big muscular tone, harmless unoriginality, excellent sound and production overall. Lots of Silvestri
    and Debney references, some Goldenthal-isms on the brass mainly and interweaving typical adventure underscoring make this a non-special but very entertaining neutral listen i am sure will work wonders in the film.

Those who loved Lair will probably like this too; on a smaller scale comparably but quite of the same philosophy and similar sound; heard it 3 times continuously today, don't think i'll be returning to this frequently.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    ANDREW LOCKINGTON - Journey To The Center Of The Earth

Big muscular tone, harmless unoriginality, excellent sound and production overall. Lots of Silvestri
    and Debney references, some Goldenthal-isms on the brass mainly and interweaving typical adventure underscoring make this a non-special but very entertaining neutral listen i am sure will work wonders in the film.

Those who loved Lair will probably like this too; on a smaller scale comparably but quite of the same philosophy and similar sound; heard it 3 times continuously today, don't think i'll be returning to this frequently.

Not as themeatic as Lair and as you said a little more small scale. I'd say lovers of David Arnold's material will eat this up.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's just very well constructed, loud background banging of outstanding sound but with no apparent themes and no melodic coherency. I can rarely listen to this kind of scores more than 3-4 times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Back to Willow for a second... I wasn't familiar with Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky when I first heard this score but the "Battle on the Ice" music in "Tir Asleen" is a major distraction. And I'm sure there are many more Prokofiev rips in this score as well. Maybe that's why I stir clear of classical music. wink

-Erik-

But you miss out on some truly great music! sad

Being the fan you are of traditional scores and Golden Age scores, I'm surprised you don't listen to classical music? With your tastes in scores in mind, I think the late romantic and early-to-mid 20th century concert works would appeal to you a great deal, so not necessarily "classical" music (i.e. Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Haydn etc.)

I think certain works of Strauss II, Tchaikovsky, Saint-Saëns, Wagner, Dvorák, Prokofiev, Gershwin, Copland and quite a few more would really appeal to you. Tis what I reckon anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I was a little underwhelmed by Journey to the Centre of the Earth on my first listen, and so far my first listen is also my last listen. I'll return to it eventually I'm sure. I thought it was a bit like Arnold/Debney, and while it had the craft, it didn't have the hooks that Arnold can grab you with, or probably even Debney when at his best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    I was a little underwhelmed by Journey to the Centre of the Earth on my first listen, and so far my first listen is also my last listen. I'll return to it eventually I'm sure. I thought it was a bit like Arnold/Debney, and while it had the craft, it didn't have the hooks that Arnold can grab you with, or probably even Debney when at his best.

Frankly, if you exclude Lair's first 4-5 tracks and forget for a moment that is was composed by the everybody-loves-Debney, i don't see how Journey to the centre of the earth is any different.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Well, I'm far from the biggest fan of Lair, but it probably impressed me more than Journey (though again I've probably only listened to it once!)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Back to Willow for a second... I wasn't familiar with Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky when I first heard this score but the "Battle on the Ice" music in "Tir Asleen" is NOW a major distraction. And I'm sure there are many more Prokofiev rips in this score as well. Maybe that's why I stir clear of classical music. wink Anyway, I still absolutely adore this score.

-Erik-

Stearing clear of classical music is depriving yourself of the well of life that enriches the music that we all love.

It rarely bothers me, mostly I see it as a great honour that composer X references composer Y, however it can be irritating at times when the "rip" is so obvious there's barely any difference. An example would be Horner's rip of Benjamin Britten's 'Dawn' from Four Sea Interludes which he used in The Journey Of Natty Gann which is almost note for note.

Considering Natty Gann isn't available Britten's work is a good ( better ) alternative. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    Not at all.

I'm old enough to have actually been excited by the prospect of Conti scoring a Bond film, at the time I was still disappointed that Barry wasn't scoring it but thought that Conti was a great choice.

The score imo is horrible, the disco elements were bad then and are still bad now, I really don't like this score save for a few good tracks.

You can still thank John Barry for For Your Eyes Only, he's the one who recommended Conti because he was unavailable.

Gotcha. I just have a fondness for 70s music. I'm contemplating listening to George Martin's Live and Let Die score too... dizzy
    The era is making a comeback though, albeit through fashion and other funky aesthetics. It's kinda nice.
  2. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Also try The Death of Tibalt (or Mercutio, I don't remember) from Romeo and Juliet (also Prokofiev) to hear the first fast string part from Escape from the Tavern.

Romeo and Juliet also influenced Williams's Temple of Doom (Nocturnal Activities) and Zimmer's Peacemaker (the Russian theme derives from the same track Escape from the Tavern does).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Not at all.

Gotcha. I just have a fondness for 70s music. I'm contemplating listening to George Martin's Live and Let Die score too... dizzy
    The era is making a comeback though, albeit through fashion and other funky aesthetics. It's kinda nice.

I absolutely LOVE Martin's Live And Let Die, horses for corses and all that eh!? wink

p.s. I love Michel Legrand's music and was really looking forward to Never Say Never Again......until I heard it slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am over aviation-related forums and reading the constantly updated news as they come in about the tragedy over at Madrid's airport, Barajas wiht the SpanAir plane that crashed on take-off. My mood isn't exactly the brightest and i happened to be playing ANGELO BADALAMENTI's dark, underwhelming synths-driven score to l adversaire all afternoon which i know find a very fitting accompaniment; Badalamenti's synths are one of the very few (if not the only) that i have always been enjoying.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    Christodoulides wrote
    Rian wrote
    Bear McCreary - Eureka On My Mind (Eureka Main Title)
    from Eureka

Samples sound good, so I'm ordering it cheesy

Any similarities to BATTLESTAR GALACTICA?

Not really. The samples are all different style (bit like the BSG albums in a way), but they give me some kind of happy feeling. The cd will serve well as a light destraction, I think, just like the series. There's this one rithmic piece that obviously hints at Bear's other work (not only BSG, but also Wrong Turn), but that's what he's grown 'famous' by.

There are only 5 samples, so I can't tell too much about the rest of the cd. Maybe you could try them for yourself: http://www.lalalandrecords.com/Eureka.html
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...