• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2011 edited
    sdtom wrote
    This is a job for Erik

I think we should get Erik a cape.
    Or a Woodsmobile.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2011
    This is still a job for Erik
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2011
    Martijn wrote
    sdtom wrote
    This is a job for Erik

Or a Woodsmobile.

The body will be made of a redwood trunk with buzz-saws for wheels.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    sdtom wrote
    This is a job for Erik

Or a Woodsmobile.

The body will be made of a redwood trunk with buzz-saws for wheels.

Tim, do you really want me to use my newly-acquired smilie-power?

NP: "Main Title" - Dirty Harry - Lalo Schifrin

Nice! cool
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2011 edited
    Oh come now Alan, surely you know your Whacky Races!? rolleyes wink

p.s. What smilie power? tongue biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Yes, I did recognise the Buzzwagon! My favourite-sounding vehicle (for some reason) was the Arkansas Chuggabug!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. PawelStroinski wrote
    How big are the files? Have you tried opening them through Notepad? That's what google gives me.

Notepad locks up while trying to open them. I guess they're too big.

Oh well, I'll try another source (without HDM or whatever that means).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. I know that many people believe Windows Updates to be one step down from malware/virus, etc but I have a couple of questions I'd like help with.

1) Why do I get pestered with 2 "important updates" for programs I don't even have installed on my computer? "Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack SP3" and "PowerPoint Viewer 2007 SP3" are itching to be installed on my laptop and I don't even use Microsoft Office! And then I have an "optional" update that seems more relevant to my system as it's a "Windows 7 for x64-bit systems".

2) If these Office updates are not required does anyone know how to stop them from pestering me?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2011
    Is there a Do Not Show This Update Again option?
  5. There used to be when I had XP. But this option seems to be buried somewhere in the innards of Windows 7.

It is like they try to make it really hard to find, hoping that I will just give in and update it anyway. And looking at my update history I have ready done that before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    it comes from windows seven and you can go into the computer and tell it not to announce updates.
    Tom
  6. I still want to be alerted of updates - I then see if I want to proceed with them. But when I don't - these two irrelevant updates are 38MB in size each - I want to set it so that I am not reminded of them.

I can see a link to show me previously-hidden updates, but not where to hid them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I believe it is in the security section of 7
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I've just bought a PC as the one thing I can't do on my mac is play games. If you can wait a few days I'm sure I'll be sharing your frustrations and looking for a way to fix it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ant if you got windows 7 go into

Control panel
    Windows updates
    Select the last of the updates
    Hold shift
    Click and selecte the first of the updates
    Right click
    "hide update"
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    But the best way and trust me as a very experienced 7 user would be to go to
    Start
    Type in the love search
    "turn windows updates off"
    Go In there uncheck everything and select the negative option
    Windows updates are Microsoft useless stuff you never need, always
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2011
    N00b question, but if I want to connect a bluetooth mouse AND keyboard to my PC do I need one dongle or two?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    my pc has bluetooth receiver built in on the motherboard (pci card) and sees everything
    you just go to
    start
    type 'bluetooth' in the live search
    configure (make pc visible, add new devices etc)
    welcome to the fascinating world of pc's my friend i am happy to assist you with anything you might need smile

have you figured out the above?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Welcome back to the world of PC's. I still love my mac more. wink tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, both have + and - 's wink
  7. Christodoulides wrote
    Ant if you got windows 7 go into

Control panel
    Windows updates
    Select the last of the updates
    Hold shift
    Click and selecte the first of the updates
    Right click
    "hide update"

Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2011
    I'm getting a PC in a few days purely for playing games on. What low-key unobtrusive (free) firewalls/anti-viris/anti-crapware do you recommend I get? I'm planning on installing and doing as little as possible on this PC so don't know "how protected" it needs to be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    aVast! will do very nicely. Inobtrusive, low impact, no frills.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. Martijn wrote

Martijn, have you any experience with Avira (free version)?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I do, but I personally found it was a bit of a load on older systems.
    It's also good, though. If you have a system that is newer than, say, 2006 or so, I have no trouble in recommending that as well. I just have more experience with aVast!, is all.

Oh, and I'd have to check if Avira still has that exclusion issue: many virus scanners ofer the option to exclude a directory or location or file type from scanning, which is incredibly useful if you yourself are devleoping scripts or running older programs that may have virus-like behaviour (without actually *being* viruses of course!). I think the older Avira versions didn't offer that exclusion option, so that's worth taking into consideration.

(It's more common than you'd think. Commercial superpower Norton Antivirus insanely does NOT offer this option, hence me having moved away from it two years ago).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's goon on modern systems but pain in the ass in older.
  9. Martijn wrote

It's what I use too. For gaming, internet, what have you. I don't have any other kind of blocking software installed besides Avast which is free.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011 edited
    The folder that appears on the desktop every time I open Opera still bugs the crap out of me.

I even tried uninstalling the whole browser, and re-installing it again, but that didn't help. I also tried deleting the operaprefs.ini file to no avail. And I can't get much help from the Opera forums either.

crazy
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011
    What about the program's settings themselves ? Its like it creates the temp file there every time you open it for some reason...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011
    Christodoulides wrote
    What about the program's settings themselves ? Its like it creates the temp file there every time you open it for some reason...

The program's settings? The only settings I'm aware of that adjust this is in 'tools', 'preferences', 'advanced', 'downloads'....and there, the path is correct.
    I am extremely serious.