• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    I confirm denying that the denial above is a confirmation of the proper denial confirmed by the party denying all confirmation.

I confirm that a confirmation can be confirmed that confirmation has been confirmed that there is a denial of confirmation.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2009 edited
    I semse a distimct mphasis ...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. on? bunny
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2009
    Martijn wrote
    I semse a distimct mphasis ...

It was a bit odd, spelt the first coNfirm correctly then went on to spell all the rest wrongly slant shame

I must be losing my MarMbles
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. What I would like to know is, who started the rumour? The people, now roused, want a name, and the blood to go with it. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. The Spiderwick Chronicles - Scoring Segment

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tekTP2Uw_-A
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2009
    Hello Erik wave

Here's a few Horner suggestions...

From BRAINSTORM

Main Title
    Lillian's Heart Attack
    Michael's Gift To Karen

COCOON

Through The Window
    The Lovemaking
    The Ascension

....over to the next person wave spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christ, where do I begin? I can suggest three of my favourite cues from one of my favourites:

Balto
    Main Title
    The Journey Begins
    Heritage Of The Wolf
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    OK... my favourite Horner cues.

"Battle in the Mutara Nebula" from Star Trek II
    "The Ludlows" from Legends of the Fall
    "The Launch" from Apollo 13
    "Rocketeer to the Rescue / Finale" from The Rocketeer
    "Riding the Fire Mares" from Krull
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Remember what the Williams suite represented... at least to me... some of the all time best Williams moments. They don't necessarily have to be full cues. Maybe just 1 minute of score here and 1 minute of score there. What's really important is how do we open this suite off. The Main Title from Brainstorm, the snares from Apollo 13, the opening from Mask of Zorro, etc, etc, etc. Can we fit in Horner's urban sounds from 48 Hours or Commando... what about his experimental synth scores. This is going to take a lot of work... but hopefully it all works out.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2009 edited
    That would be awesome Erik if you could make a breathtaking suite. How about the opening chorals from Willow to start it off. And something from Krull to end it, hehe punk

But yeah, structure wise like you did the Williams piece would be the best way to go, no complete cues or anything, just the themes. Anyway good luck if you decide to do this. Make it as suite as it can be... wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2009 edited
    Ok, some underrated great Horner cues:

"Goodbye and Godspeed" from Deep Impact (5:10 - 8:30 -> full renditions of the two main themes, specially great in its choir version)
    "Coast Guard Rescue" from The Perfect Storm
    "Rogue Wave" from The Perfect Storm
    "Closing Credits" from Glory (00:00 - 2:10 -> another great choral moment)
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2009
    Here is my first quick crack at the Horner suite... it killed me to leave of some obvious favorites... The Rocketeer, Brainstrom, Titanic, Spitfire Grill, etc... they just wouldn't work. There are some AWFUL edits which I will touch up later and I still have to work on the Star Trek portion of the suite which I've been working on the most. Anyway, have a listen and let me know what you think

HERE IT IS!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Oh man, I love The Perfect Storm, so great and fun to listen to.

Going to go listen now Erik.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2009
    Bravo Erik! Fantastic! And this is the "rough" mix? Shite!!!

Horner's music should be celebrated.
    What you've done here is a great reminder of how wonderfully good his scores have been!
    Thoroughly enjoyable!

Thankyou! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2009
    Great suite. The perfect storm is indeed great. But....this? Not pretty much up there for me wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. James Horner works in a traditional way, writing on manuscript paper and communicating themes to the director on the piano - he can afford to, he's James Horner. But actually, this year he's had to produce mock-ups for the very first time. When I visited him in LA a few weeks ago, Horner was working on the music for Avatar, James Cameron's latest sci-fi epic which will be geek heaven. He's worked with Cameron before, of course, most notably on Aliens and Titanic, which won Horner two Oscars. They were fairly traditional orchestral scores but Avatar will have a different approach, employing all sorts of exotic electronic sounds and soundscapes mixed with orchestra - sounds that would be impossible to replicate on a piano. So Horner finds himself working with mock-ups to enable Cameron to hear properly what the score will sound like. When I talked to him about it, there was an air of excitement about doing something new, but also a whiff of apprehension. We'll hear the results at the end of 2009.

http://www.forcesofgeek.com/2009/02/com … -mock.html
  6. Antineutrino wrote
    James Horner works in a traditional way, writing on manuscript paper and communicating themes to the director on the piano - he can afford to, he's James Horner. But actually, this year he's had to produce mock-ups for the very first time. When I visited him in LA a few weeks ago, Horner was working on the music for Avatar, James Cameron's latest sci-fi epic which will be geek heaven. He's worked with Cameron before, of course, most notably on Aliens and Titanic, which won Horner two Oscars. They were fairly traditional orchestral scores but Avatar will have a different approach, employing all sorts of exotic electronic sounds and soundscapes mixed with orchestra - sounds that would be impossible to replicate on a piano. So Horner finds himself working with mock-ups to enable Cameron to hear properly what the score will sound like. When I talked to him about it, there was an air of excitement about doing something new, but also a whiff of apprehension. We'll hear the results at the end of 2009.

http://www.forcesofgeek.com/2009/02/com … -mock.html

If anyone understands music in film it's Cameron. I think all his movies have resulted in having good to excellent scores, at least good in how it's used in the film and improves the viewing experience.

I'm terribly hyped for both film and score and if AVATAR is anything less than a masterpiece I don't know what I will be capable of doing when I exit the movie theatre. At least Horner is getting tons of time to produce something special. Do not disappoint me Jim & Jim.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. Atham wrote

What you've done here is a great reminder of how wonderfully good his scores have been!
    Thoroughly enjoyable!

Thankyou! cool

ROUGH MIX DONT MAKE ME LAUGH !!!!!

THIS IS THE END MIX !!!

Listening to it now, seriously Erik, you are one the right track, it's just one brilliant part after another, kudos to Horner of course. I don't think you ever cross the 2 minute mark per score, so that's very good. And some of your edits are wonderful, totally on the ball. I can't say I'd ever want a collection of Horner themes presented another way. And to end it with Braveheart is simply heavenly. Keep it up, you're almost done...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2009
    DreamTheater wrote
    Atham wrote

Thoroughly enjoyable!

Thankyou! cool

ROUGH MIX DONT MAKE ME LAUGH !!!!!

THIS IS THE END MIX !!!

Listening to it now, seriously Erik, you are one the right track, it's just one brilliant part after another, kudos to Horner of course. I don't think you ever cross the 2 minute mark per score, so that's very good. And some of your edits are wonderful, totally on the ball. I can't say I'd ever want a collection of Horner themes presented another way. And to end it with Braveheart is simply heavenly. Keep it up, you're almost done...

Cool. I'm still not pleased with the "Stealing The Enterprise" section but if you are all happy with it then I will leave it alone. I'm really happy with the Balto edit and the edit of "A Kaleidoscope of Mathematics" from A Beautiful Mind with "The Machine Age" from Bicentennial Man. And the edit from "A Machine Age" to the ending of "Bird Of Prey Decloaks" was just luck. The end of Field of Dreams isn't what I wanted but it was the only way out of the cue without playing it right to the end. Willow to Krull in the beginning wasn't as smooth but I used the cymbal roll from Star Trek III's main title to bridge Willow to "Ride of the Firemare's" from Krull. Krull to Glory is one of the edits that REALLY bugs me... I'll be working on that to make sure it's seamless. Glory to A Perfect Storm also bugs me. I wish the guitar part leading to the main theme was cleaner. Any suggestions how to fix it would be great. The rest I'm really happy with. Again, it sucks that there are a lot of favorites missing but I think the suite plays pretty well.

Thanks for all of your kind comments!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2009
    Intrada Records Announces...

HONEY, I SHRUNK THE KIDS
    Music Composed and Conducted by JAMES HORNER
    INTRADA Special Collection Volume 94

The 1989 Walt Disney film Honey, I Shrunk the Kids remains one of the most successful efforts to bring the classic Walt Disney brand of family adventure with humor, high-class production values and dazzling special effects, to modern audiences and modern sensibilities. Amateur scientist Wayne Szalinski (Rick Moranis) is in the midst of testing his shrinking machine, but can't quite get it to work. When a baseball accidentally gets lodged in the machine and activates the shrinking machine, the Szalinski kids and the next door neighbor's kids are reduced to a quarter of an inch in size and swept out into the garbage at the far end of the backyard. Trapped in a fantastic alien environment, the kids must stay alive and fight their way across the lawn while Wayne becomes aware of the problem and launches a desperate search for the children.

For this premiere release of Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, Simon Rhodes and James Horner produced a sparkling CD for Intrada from the original multi-track elements stored at Disney. Horner’s main title music is a nod to Raymond Scott’s 1937 “Powerhouse B” tune, often referenced in Carl Stalling’s Warner Bros. cartoon scores and a perfect accompaniment for the Rube Goldberg style contraptions of Wayne Szalinski. With a bright four-note motif for harp and plucked strings and jazzy accompaniment for saxophone suggestive of Nino Rota, as well as brash accents from brass and electric organ, Horner’s main title music underscores all the major moments involving Szalinski’s technology. With the main title tune covering most of the film’s comic moments, Horner was free to use straight dramatic scoring to address the bizarre miniature landscapes in which the four young heroes find themselves, with numerous evocative moments that utilize his trademark ethereal orchestrations, heretofore often employed to illustrate the vastness of space in scores like Aliens and Cocoon. Horner uses a warm long-line melody, often played by flutes of various kinds, for the relationships between the film’s young heroes and their growing bond both among themselves and, as the film moves on, with their environment. He also provides a playful theme first heard in “Ant Rodeo” as the children voraciously attack a giant cookie. This is developed in the Coplandesque material Horner wrote for the children riding the ant and is very subtly suggested during the otherwise violent and menacing music for the scorpion attack that the ant repulses, where he uses brushed low piano strings, snare and side drums, menacing horns and coiling low strings to underscore the assault by a blood red scorpion on the children’s nighttime Lego shelter, with heroic fanfares accompanying their ant companion’s counterattack and a delicate string elegy as the ant dies. It all ties together into a musical adventure as exciting and colorful as the film itself, and is a true gem from Disney's orchestral film music legacy.

This release is limited to 3000 copies.

INTRADA Special Collection - Volume 94
    Retail Price: 19.99
    AVAILABLE NOW
    For track listing and sound samples, please visit
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6098/.f
  8. Expect Intrada's site to smoke...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  9. ...and the wish list of Disney scores to begin.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Wow, I remember watching this movie avidly when I was a kid -- I never really knew James Horner scored it. Ah, that main title seems very un-Horneresque, but memories of that film flow back with each clip I listen to.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2009 edited
    Matt C wrote
    Wow, I remember watching this movie avidly when I was a kid -- I never really knew James Horner scored it. Ah, that main title seems very un-Horneresque, but memories of that film flow back with each clip I listen to.

Un-Horner... actually this is vintage Horner! He rip's off Raymond Scott's "Powerhouse", Elfman's Pee Wee's Big Adventure and Nino Rota's Armacord. That's classic Horner! wink

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Okay, okay... I ordered it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote
    Okay, okay... I ordered it.

I'd say this will be sold out pretty soon...

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Just like "Until September" and "Baby"... isn't this the first Horner-sanctioned Intrada release?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2009 edited
    I'm so glad this is getting released! One of Horner's best early scores.

Keep those Disney scores coming, Intrada! wave biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Matt C wrote

Un-Horner... actually this is vintage Horner! He rip's off Raymond Scott's "Powerhouse", Elfman's Pee Wee's Big Adventure and Nino Rota's Armacord. That's classic Horner! wink

-Erik-

Pee Wee's Big Adventure is THE biggest rip-off of Nino Rota in the first place!

That said, I'm amazed this has come out. I had always assumed the legal issues were a problem. Didn't both the Scott and Rota estates successfully sue Disney over this one?

Pleased to see it released. Looking forward to its arrival already!