• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2011
    Hm. Well. OK. shame Sorry to have them bear the brunt of my annoyance.shame

Anyway, yeah, Pawel got it: it's the feast of Sinterklaas, celebrated on December 5th.
    Without going into too much detail: originally it's pretty much a very localised offshoot of Santa Claus (although we celebrate that as well, complete with Jolly Old Nick. December is an INCREDIBLY expensive month in The Netherlands and Belgium!).

The celebration is very much a children-oriented feast, where -originally- small gifts were exchanged, but wrapped up and hidden in surprising and taunting ways, accompanied by a little doggerel verse that took the mickey out of the recipient.

The Santa role has morphed into a bishop, and his helpers -the ones that dole out punishment where Sinterklaas rewards good behaviour- went from bush creatures to demons to -from the 15th century onward- Moors (portrayed by white men in blackface). That last form has been upheld until this very day.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Southall wrote
    ...one of them is Scottish so probably knows Alan...

biggrin

This comment reminds me of my mum! Not because she was Scottish too - a high proportion of my family is - but when mum found out that Anne was from Sale, Manchester mum would always ask Anne whether she knew "so-and-so" who had been on the TV and who also came from Sale.

Whether she thought Sale was a small place or Anne "put it about a bit" I never found out.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2011 edited
    Thor wrote
    I'm often embarrased by fellow Norwegians too, especially charter tourists.

But they're nothing compared to Americans and Israelites. Those are the worst, in my experience.

The French are by far the worst in my experience, Israelites a far off second.....and I've met loads of them.

Americans, Australians and English joint 3rd.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    I'm often embarrased by fellow Norwegians too, especially charter tourists.

But they're nothing compared to Americans and Israelites. Those are the worst, in my experience.

The French are by far the worst in my experience, Israelites a far off second.....and I've met loads of them.

Americans, Australians and English joint 3rd.

True, Australians aren't too good either and don't seem to be liked very well for their behaviour. I remember they were generally disliked by the local populations in Thailand, Cambodia and Dubai. Haven't met a lot of French and English when I'm travelling, actually (at least not long-distance).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, to be sure I was only referencing visitors to The Netherlands.
    I can't really remember any specific nationalities ever bothering me in any way whenever or wherever I travelled.
    Drunk Brits are as bad as drunk Russians. Loud Germans as annoying as loud Dutch. Bawdy Americans as bad as bawdy French. I honestly don't think one is worse than the other. (I read absolutely spinechilling stories about Russians, but have no personal experience with them).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2011 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Oh, to be sure I was only referencing visitors to The Netherlands.
    I can't really remember any specific nationalities ever bothering me in any way whenever or wherever I travelled.
    Drunk Brits are as bad as drunk Russians. Loud Germans as annoying as loud Dutch. Bawdy Americans as bad as bawdy French. I honestly don't think one is worse than the other. (I read absolutely spinechilling stories about Russians, but have no personal experience with them).

I encountered some horrible Russians on a safari in the NgoroNgoro national park in Tanzania last year. They were in another car, everyone (except the gals) with their tops off...big, fat, loud, drunk and just a pain in the ass. I don't envy the driver who had to drag those guys around.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I haven't had much experience with Russians, there was an annoying group of them on one flight who were getting very drunk and obnoxious, I thought there was going to be an "air rage" incident when the stewardess refused to supply them with more booze but luckily it all calmed down. ( hows that for a boring travel story )

I have a story of how traveling with two rotten thieving Australians nearly turned into a punch-up at Las Vegas airport.....maybe I'll tell you about it sometime?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2011
    This made my day a little bit better when I first saw it on Wednesday and it's made my day a little bit better again today now it's shown up on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYXBJmrsxZU
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes, I saw that after the final episode of Frozen Planet too. Works incredibly well! (Better than a Shatner version dare I say.)
  2. Attenborough should do a cover of "If".

I thought it started off being very striking but it went on too long and just ended up being an advert for the BBC.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    This made my day a little bit better when I first saw it on Wednesday and it's made my day a little bit better again today now it's shown up on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYXBJmrsxZU

love
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2011
    I've passed my final Chartered Accountant exam! It was a 3 day exam (13 hours in total).

Now I just have to work for two more years to complete my practical experience requirements so that I will be a full CA.

"It's all tax deductible. We're fairly incorruptible, We're sailing on the wide accountancy!" (From Monty Python)
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  3. Congratulations on passing your exam. Hang in there learning "the ropes".
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2011
    A stressful few hours out shopping in the highstreet completely evaporated when I opened my front door and found Basil Poledouris CONAN THE DESTROYER score had arrived in the post love
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2011
    My cold is finally getting better.
    tom
    listen to more classical music!
  4. Timmer wrote
    A stressful few hours out shopping in the highstreet completely evaporated when I opened my front door and found Basil Poledouris CONAN THE DESTROYER score had arrived in the post love

Than putting that baby in your cd player will make your day even better...

I'm listening to it right now, my real first listen of this score and it's great!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. Damn! Damn! Damn!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Damn! Damn! Damn!

Well, you got THE BLACK HOLE wayyyyy before I did! tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Norway just became world champions in Handball after beating France with 8 goals in the final, which means that we're reigning Olympic, European and World Champions all at once!

GO, GOLD GIRLS!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Oh yeah, and they're playing the STAR WARS theme in the medal ceremony!
    I am extremely serious.
  6. I have been cooped up behind a computer day and night this week because I was on call and Belgium was dealing with heavy rain and the matching high gauge heights in its rivers. Therefore, I was kept busy, day and night answering phones, coordinating communication with the river managers etc...
    Well, this evening, for the first time in a week I was able to go out for a couple of hours and dance some tango.

Funny anecdote: I was still on call, so I needed to 'hear' my phone. Now if you know tangooutfits, there are no obvious spots to wear a phone. So I put my phone in my tights. And warned my dance partners I might have to leave them mid-dance (normally considered EXTREMELY rude in tango) due to emergency telephone call.
    The call never came, but the telephone did try to fall down one of my tights legs a couple of times. That also yields quite spectacular dance moves wink.

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2011
    sounds like you had a nice time.
  7. Skating_Lientje wrote
    I have been cooped up behind a computer day and night this week because I was on call and Belgium was dealing with heavy rain and the matching high gauge heights in its rivers. Therefore, I was kept busy, day and night answering phones, coordinating communication with the river managers etc...
    Well, this evening, for the first time in a week I was able to go out for a couple of hours and dance some tango.

Funny anecdote: I was still on call, so I needed to 'hear' my phone. Now if you know tangooutfits, there are no obvious spots to wear a phone. So I put my phone in my tights. And warned my dance partners I might have to leave them mid-dance (normally considered EXTREMELY rude in tango) due to emergency telephone call.
    The call never came, but the telephone did try to fall down one of my tights legs a couple of times. That also yields quite spectacular dance moves wink.

Elin

I am sorry but I have to ask: was the phone set on ringing or vibrate?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    I have been cooped up behind a computer day and night this week because I was on call and Belgium was dealing with heavy rain and the matching high gauge heights in its rivers. Therefore, I was kept busy, day and night answering phones, coordinating communication with the river managers etc...

Elin

LOL! biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
  8. FalkirkBairn wrote

Vibrate of course, but as said the phone was in my tights, not in my panties, so no harm done when the vibrating started biggrin .
    But really, Alan, dirty mind, you. shocked

But then again, I agree that certain tango outfits do leave little to the imagination.

I just bought some new attire. I'll probably wear some of it on new year's eve. I'll try to get some pictures taken and show them off to you guys and then you can tell me where I would be able to hide a phone ;-).

Try not to drool too much when I post them wink
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2011
    :faint:
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    This was the first morning in a couple of weeks that I woke up feeling good. This flu was a nasty one. I have a friend who is in the hospital over this and another friend bedridden.
    Tom
  9. Hopefully you will feel much better by the weekend.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I feel good enough to do a little bit of writing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2011
    Another trip to the dentist to have work done after the root canal was a success. A little pain this morning but nothing like before.
    Tom