• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I'd be interested to see where being disrespectful will appear in the forthcoming rules - and what any accompanying sanctions will be.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2012
    Scribe wrote
    Ah, the Ottman score is at least worthy of existing, it adds a nice little epilogue to the Williams legacy. Especially since we are apparently never going to hear that theme again in a new production.

I am glad this score has its supporters too smile Everybody needs some love!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2012 edited
    Me too. It may not be brilliant, but it's a charming homage to the previous scores. It's also something this new film wouldn't fit at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well they already established (and we've seen it on the teaser) that it's going to have no relation to the old material. As for Superman Returns i think it was very cheap (movie and music-wise) to be able to pay any kind of homage to the older films; but it was a pleasant injection of some much-needed (these days for sure!) nostalgia for many people; and even for that alone, it has its place.
  2. What do you mean by "very cheap to be able to pay any kind of homage" Demetris? I am not sure I understand.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I guess he means -and I would agree- that sadly it simply wasn't clever or good enough.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Exactly. Poor casting choice, weak storyline and as for the music, it only shined when the - admittedly very good - renditions of the Williams' main theme came up.
  3. Martijn wrote
    I guess he means -and I would agree- that sadly it simply wasn't clever or good enough.

I read it more that Ottman resorted to referencing Williams' earlier work in order to make his own score better.
  4. Dom wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Some news for his birthday:

Hans Zimmer has been hired to update the jingle for Germany´s most watched news, the "Tagesschau", for the newest makeover in October/November. I´m looking forward to it; it´s as iconic for us as the Big Ben bell ringing for the British.

That news is incorrect - it's Henning Lohner who is going to re-arrange that theme.

Well, I saw the info on many different newssites. I wonder how that happened, then.
  5. Even more of a birthday present for Hans then. He gets the credit. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  6. Quite typical for such assignments, really. I never quite believed that he'd arrange it on his own.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. Ok, I'll just keep my sense of humour in my hemisphere lest it spread north and ruin everything... wave
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  8. No, don't, but keep in mind that irony may be sometimes a bit difficult to get, even with emoticons wink . I was actually proving you right anyway. biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2012
    Sigh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … GCSseUKA#!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor

Actually, I thought that went together very well, especially in terms of synchronization points. Made the sequence a bit too "Hollywood", though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Yeah, the synchronization was fine (also because of slowing down certain moments and slight editing), but the use of Zimmer instead of Stravinsky severely cheapens the segment. Which is funny, because it doesn't feel cheap that way in The Lion King.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    Yeah, the synchronization was fine (also because of slowing down certain moments and slight editing), but the use of Zimmer instead of Stravinsky severely cheapens the segment. Which is funny, because it doesn't feel cheap that way in The Lion King.

Exactly.
  9. I though it was good, it's basically someone else trying to get some emotion out of it through different music or different scenes.

I like it
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BobdH wrote

I agree with the gist of that.

Still, I'm always fascinated by the appearance of totally unrelated music in video segments like that -- like when you're watching the news on the telly or something (without sound) and the music you're playing on the stereo magically seems to fit. The Pink Floyd/WIZARD OF OZ effect. I even think there's some cognitive theory about it. Eisenstein talked about audiovisual synaesthetics, which is a kind of variation on that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2012 edited
    Agree, Thor, and for me that was the 'funny' part. The fact this music, once placed beneath Fantasia, feels 'cheap' is interesting; I'm conditioned to expect Stravinsky and this more sentimental music underscores the fact that Stravinsky wasn't sentimental. It highlights the broad emotion Zimmer used in a way you do not get in that way when simply watching The Lion King. It completely changes the tone of the segment, even though you could argue it's a perfect accompaniment to the images on screen once you don't know what music originally accompanied it.

It's a good exploration of the effect of music and different ways to score a scene. But it still feels cheap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2012
    OK, this week we watched the Pirates movies, Pirates of the Caribbean 1, 2, 3.
    For the first time!

I think I saw the Curse of the Black Pearl before, but it was a long time ago. Last night we saw At World's End.
    I also did not know the scores except for the first one.

Now, I remember Jordi mention a track Marry Me which I found on YouTube, but it's not on the album or is it? I'm listening now on YouTube, but I want to buy it!!

And no, I've not lived under a stone the past couple of years wink
    I just never took the time to watch the movies and listen to the scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2012 edited
    Bregje, at the time of the release of At World's End on DVD/BluRay (I believe) a "Treasure Chest" was released of the soundtracks, which consisted of the original releases of the soundtracks plus a bonus disc. The track 'Marry Me' was on this bonus disc, as well as several other suites, unused music or demo versions and remixes. I'm afraid this bonus disc is not available separately without the original score releases, so if you haven't bought any of the scores yet, this Chest is the one to go for!

http://www.amazon.com/Pirates-The-Carib … collection
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2012
    Oh my oh my oh my, I want THE CHEST lick

You see, sometimes it pays of to buy scores years and years later wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2012
    OK, another question. How is it possible that the sound quality (recording?) of Marry Me is so excellent, on YouTube even!, while the score itself is a wall of sound in iTunes?

I'm talking about this upload: http://youtu.be/Po728VGkkeM
    I've been listening to this on repeat with my headphones and the sound is amazing, I can hear so many different instruments!! It's brilliant.

But it would be ridiculous if these extra suites are of better quality than the regular score release, right?
    We bought At Worlds End last night, I just had a listen to a few tracks, but was truly disappointed by the sound. So now I'm back to YouTube.... YouTube better than iTunes, it can't get weirder than this...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2012 edited
    Bregje, first of all, I have to say I was surprised by the clarity of the bonus suites and their sound is actually clearer than the mix on the CD (to the point that I had to get used to this first, as I was used to the more murky, bass sound of the CD), but on the other hand, I never was very disappointed with the sound of the soundtrack release, sounding like just every Zimmer score sounds (more bass than normal, etc.), but I do have the official CD pressing whereas iTunes has about 320 kb/s or 192 kb/s, which is inferior.

Have you compared your iTunes tracks from At World's End with these exact same tracks on YouTube, to see if they have the same quality there, or worse, or better? If they're the same (or worse), then you probably just don't like the album recording. If they're better, than there might be something wrong with your iTunes version.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Thanks Bob!
    I'm glad it isn't just me. The sound of the bonus stuff is extraordinary, I've just listened to the others as well. And I'm absolutely in love with the Marry Me suite.
    cheesy

I will still buy the box, I saw it for 124.50 Euro, not bad if you don't own the albums yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Also, I got myself this music box a couple of years ago. Now I want to make the Heart of Davy Jones theme!

I have to find the right sheet music to know where to punch the holes...
    spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2012
    hmmmmm http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilopictures/8188446868/
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Good on Hans I say. punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Photographer Trey Ratcliff visit Hans Zimmer' studio. Interesting article and great photos.
    (Sorry if this was posted before)

http://www.stuckincustoms.com/2011/02/2 … is-studio/