• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    Oh cool! Great film that one. And yes Zimmer nailed it with the music. Where has the time gone when he wrote these highly melodic and beautiful scores?

Down the facebook drain. Obviously.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. A new article from Collider.com has something to say about Zimmer's contribution to the upcoming MAN OF STEEL.

"Snyder has now spoken up a bit about his Superman in Man of Steel and why acknowledging John Williams’ classic score from the previous films wasn’t an option....At Comic-Con, the closest Snyder came to saying something of substance about the film was when he explained that they wanted to get away from Superman being 'a big blue boy scout' and instead wanted to see him beat the snot out of people....Bryan Singer and composer John Ottoman famously incorporated John Williams’ theme from the classic Superman films into Superman Returns, but the 2006 pic was essentially a sequel to Superman II and not a reboot of the character. In pretending like no other Superman films have been made before, it makes sense that Snyder and composer Hans Zimmer would need to move away from Williams’ work:
    [Snyder said:]
    “We had to say this is a Superman movie for the first time and you can’t then go ‘Oh, now let’s steal a little music’… So, yes it’s awesome music but Hans Zimmer is going to do something awesome.”

You heard it from Snyder, folks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2012
    John OttOman.....he, he.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    John OttOman.....he, he.

I didn't even see that until you pointed it out! My post is a copy and paste, though, so that's what Collider thinks his name is.
  3. beat the snot out of people, now that is not how I picture Superman at all

still, Snyder has done nothing wrong with me, even Sucker Punch and the faithful Watchmen were good movies, so hoping for the best

and besides, I don't want Zimmer do ape John Williams, but I don't want him to ape Dark Knight too, a new sound, like they did for POTC
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I agree that they have to move on from Williams SUPERMAN theme, it's a whole new direction ( and one I look forward to seeing ) and in any case there's no way Zimmer could incorporate williams theme into his own style. Having said that I'm not exactly jumping for joy that Zimmer is scoring but unfortunately I have no super powers to make it stop.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2012 edited
    Well, at least I'm glad it won't be scored by Tyler Bates, so Zimmer is a grade up for me. I'm more interested in what he comes up with then you, though.

As for Snyder... well, for me, he hasn't made a good film yet, with Watchmen admittedly coming close, but still had more than one misjudged scene and a laughable finale. It's a film you want to love, but ultimately have to consider it an ambitious failure. I like the fact he stylises his films so heavily, but he constantly makes very annoying mistakes in the process. So, with Superman, I hope he has learned from past mistakes and with the guidance of Nolan will be able to finally make a decent film. We'll see.
  4. About Snyder, I think Watchmen gets better with every viewing. And it's an audiovisual marvel (I'm not talking about the score here, but the sound design, which is fantastic allround).

About Zimmer doing Supes, I'm not looking forward to it, but if it's anything else than how he approached Batman, I say good luck Hans!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. Dawn of the Dead is a fantastic horror movie (and a remake that honors the original), 300 is one of the finest movies I've ever seen, Watchmen I enjoyed (though I don't know the comics at all) and Sucker Punch is a visual extravangza that at least tries to implement an original story. In fact the more I see it, the more I understand the thought behind it
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    beat the snot out of people, now that is not how I picture Superman at all

Bingo! Superman's motto is that he fights for "truth, justice and the American way." Not to beat the snot out of people. This tells me that they don't even understand their main character.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Bingo! Superman's motto is that he fights for "truth, justice and the American way." Not to beat the snot out of people. This tells me that they don't even understand their main character.

-Erik-

Food for thought, would it be beneficial for the producers and financiers to back a movie that propagate an America-centric school of thought to a global audience? Truth and justice is a common thing everyone can rally around though...

And actually, "wanted to see him beat the snot out of people" is the writer's interpretation of what Zack Snyder had said, not an actual quote. Reading is your friend.

Here's what the article actually quoted:

“The big challenge is if you can make people feel ‘What would you do if you were Superman?’ That’s what we went out to do as far as we could. Superman’s always been this kind of big blue boy-scout up on a throne that nobody can really touch, so we tried to make him relatable.”

“We decided to act as if no Superman film had been made – even though we love the films that have been made… Superman is a big responsibility but I felt he needed to be reintroduced to a generation and I thought this was a great opportunity.”

“We have great respect for the canon. I would say it is a clashing of stories and ideas. Superman is the king-daddy of all superheroes – to make him work is a big deal.”
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    Food for thought, would it be beneficial for the producers and financiers to back a movie that propagate an America-centric school of thought to a global audience? Truth and justice is a common thing everyone can rally around though...

This was actually addressed poorly in the terrible Superman Returns. The quote went something like this, "truth, justice, (and) all that stuff." Classy. And while I don't expect Superman to quote his motto in the new film it is who he is. That's the character. Yes, I get it, globe audience and whatnot. Like you said it's a common thing that everyone can rally around but Superman kicking the living fuck out of someone shouldn't be the reason to see this "film."

lp wrote
    And actually, "wanted to see him beat the snot out of people" is the writer's interpretation of what Zack Snyder had said, not an actual quote. Reading is your friend.

Actually, here is what he said at comic-con.

Moderator Chris Hardwicke asks what we can expect. “Superman is pretty awesome, as you know,” says Snyder. He felt that Superman needed to be re-introduced to a new generation. He said they’re finished shooting so they’re just working on post-production. In the past, Superman has been “a big blue boy scout on a giant throne,” so we wanted to see him beat the snot out of some people.
    http://collider.com/comic-con-superman- … er/178370/

After reading all of your quotes above it just proves to me that Snyder doesn't get the character. Superman shouldn't be relatable. Superman is a superhero... he isn't one of us... and we want to see him do superhuman things. You know... be faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. I want him to save the world.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Oh he'll probably do all of that. He'll just be a jerk now. I think Snyder understands the original character just fine. I think he's just giving the finger to that character and making a new darker one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    But we don't need a dark Superman. That's what he doesn't get. This isn't Batman. Batman is suppose to be dark. However, if they are going back to Superman true roots - in the 30's he was a careless super hero. A lot like Mr. Incredible. Tossing cars wherever, punching bad guys through buildings, etc. Not giving two shits about the damage he was causing.

Personally, I prefer a Superman with a moral code.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    But we don't need a dark Superman. That's what he doesn't get. This isn't Batman. Batman is suppose to be dark. However, if they are going back to Superman true roots - in the 30's he was a careless super hero. A lot like Mr. Incredible. Tossing cars wherever, punching bad guys through buildings, etc. Not giving two shits about the damage he was causing.

Personally, I prefer a Superman with a moral code.

-Erik-

I say "been there, done that". And thank God for fresh interpretations of welltrodden myths.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2012 edited
    Except when they're deconstructionist to the level of taking everything that makes a character that particular character....and toss it out.

If you're gonna go down that road, create your own damn superhero (or take your pick of any of the kazillion "dark and gritty" spandex hero guys and gals out there in comics land).

My god, the eighties have a lot to answer for.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2012
    BobdH wrote
    As for Snyder... well, for me, he hasn't made a good film yet, with Watchmen admittedly coming close, but still had more than one misjudged scene and a laughable finale. It's a film you want to love, but ultimately have to consider it an ambitious failure.

Except the finale was very true to Moore's story, which was absolutely essential in every sense of archetypical storytelling. In fact, while not flawless (the terrible soundtrack comes to mind), Watchmen may well be one of the -maybe even THE - greatest comic book adaptation ever (when considering a straight adaptation. I actually think f'r instance The Dark Knight is much better as a film, but that story was based on the DC characters. Not on one stoy or one book.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    christopher wrote
    Thor wrote
    John OttOman.....he, he.

I didn't even see that until you pointed it out! My post is a copy and paste, though, so that's what Collider thinks his name is.

Who cares ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

still, Snyder has done nothing wrong with me, even Sucker Punch and the faithful Watchmen were good movies, so hoping for the best

and besides, I don't want Zimmer do ape John Williams, but I don't want him to ape Dark Knight too, a new sound, like they did for POTC

Watchmen was a good movie?

Anyway the teaser to this superman reboot looks pretty promising.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Demetris wrote
    christopher wrote
    Thor wrote
    John OttOman.....he, he.

Who cares ?

I'm sure the Ottomans do!
    Just you wait until the Empire strikes back!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well when they are finished raping any female that walks, stealing and bullying, they will, to do even more of that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2012 edited
    Demetris wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Watchmen was a good movie?

It sure is, if you actually bother to watch it again, you will pick up on a lot you missed the first time. Also visually it remains a stunner IMO.

I agree with Martijn, having watched the supplements of Watchmen, every writer of the comics seemed to agree that the movie is pretty faithful to the source.

And the DC (which I have) improves the flow of the film a lot.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. Definitely keep 'and the American way'.

If America's going to keep exporting its culture, it might as well be flagrant about it. Better than hiding it.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    'Superman, Superman, does whatever a Superman can, spins a web............ oh, wrong hero.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. Demetris wrote

Anyway the teaser to this superman reboot looks pretty promising.

I thought it was crap!
    You know what was a promising teaser of Superman?

THIS
    fucking awesome! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Awesome trailer... terrible movie!

-Erik-
  9. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Disagree. I think it's a well done homage to the first film. The only character I don't particularly like is Lois Lane and her portrayal by Bosworth. She misses the spunk Margot Kidder had.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Dt, why do you think Snyder's Superman's teaser trailer looked crap?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    This was actually addressed poorly in the terrible Superman Returns. The quote went something like this, "truth, justice, (and) all that stuff." Classy. And while I don't expect Superman to quote his motto in the new film it is who he is. That's the character. Yes, I get it, globe audience and whatnot. Like you said it's a common thing that everyone can rally around but Superman kicking the living fuck out of someone shouldn't be the reason to see this "film."

I think the reason to see this film would be to hope to experience a non boring version of Superman that didn't stalk his ex-girlfriend. The best part about Superman Return was when he was in action, and for a 2 hour movie, Superman action was severely lacking.

Erik Woods wrote
    Actually, here is what he said at comic-con.

Moderator Chris Hardwicke asks what we can expect. “Superman is pretty awesome, as you know,” says Snyder. He felt that Superman needed to be re-introduced to a new generation. He said they’re finished shooting so they’re just working on post-production. In the past, Superman has been “a big blue boy scout on a giant throne,” so we wanted to see him beat the snot out of some people.
    http://collider.com/comic-con-superman- … er/178370/

After reading all of your quotes above it just proves to me that Snyder doesn't get the character. Superman shouldn't be relatable. Superman is a superhero... he isn't one of us... and we want to see him do superhuman things. You know... be faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. I want him to save the world.

-Erik-

I didn't care very much for it, but didn't Smallville try to make Superman relatable? That show worked well enough to have lasted so long.

I think that Superman has become a global icon, and less than an ideal of America. And if Smallville was able to capitalized on the notion of Superman as a teenager dealing with teen issues along with alien ones, there's no reason why Nolan and Goyer and Snyder couldn't make do with having an adult Kal El trying to escape the heavy burden of protecting the whole world.

ps. Notice how "so we wanted to see him beat the snot out of some people" part wasn't quoted as being from Zack Snyder?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Disagree. I think it's a well done homage to the first film.

Shouldn't it have been a well done sequel?

-Erik-