• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2012 edited
    Tora Tora Tora!

Even though I'm a god and can have a lot, I'm glad to chime in with this earthly requirement. It seems I'm saved. If I'd ever be lost!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2012
    Bregt wrote
    Tora Tora Tora!

Even though I'm a god and can have a lot, I'm glad to chime in with this earthly requirement. It seems I'm saved. If I'd ever be lost!

TORA! TORA! TORA! is the only FSM cd you have?

not a criticism, just wondering
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. moon Now, if they've never been online, I can't hold it against them. Then they should at least have an RCA LP (if that old), or a Varese Sarabande CD (since those are sold in regular shops, like FYE).

I see your rolly eyes Demetris, and raise you a butt moon
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. I own The Egyptian (that's why I didn't go for the Varese), Black Sunday and Days of Heaven.

I bought Tora! Tora! Tora!, but the La La release, the FSM was long sold out before I heard the score for the first time.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timmer wrote
    TORA! TORA! TORA! is the only FSM cd you have?

not a criticism, just wondering

It was my first.

I don't have much others. Big Wednesday for example and that John Barry score that was also on Silva. Can't get its name right now.

shame
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I have plenty of FSMs -- most of them Williams releases. It's not a prerequisite to have many of them to be a film music fan, but they've surely released some classic gems over the years (despite the abysmal C&C ideology that guides them).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    On a general note: It's retarded to say that someone to be called a true film music fan should have the 'x' cd or the 'y' cd...it's ridiculous. It's music. Anyone can have any tastes they want starting from any era they want onward. Now get over it, if you want fsm head over to fsm. IT's a great community here and many of us keep visiting just because it's that: not fsm.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Demetris wrote
    On a general note: It's retarded to say that someone to be called a true film music fan should have the 'x' cd or the 'y' cd...it's ridiculous. It's music. Anyone can have any tastes they want starting from any era they want onward. Now get over it, if you want fsm head over to fsm. IT's a great community here and many of us keep visiting just because it's that: not fsm.

The message of your comments sometimes gets lost in the tone and certainly makes me want to burn all my CDs and just leave it all behind.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erm, why? Justin suggested in the previous page that it's unimaginable not to have at least one fsm. WHERE does it say something like that? Also, he complained that nobody comes to post pr here, unlike fsm. Well, we are a wholly different community here, obviously. I don't get what's wrong with my tone...
  4. Calling people retarded for example is not exactly the best tone, D. smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I called Romney retarded wink Is he considered as "people" these days? wink

As for my other comment, i stick to what i said before; anyone who has nostalgia dreams about fsm, can freely go in there (if they're not already banned from it) instead of trying to bring that mentality over here. As for "True film music fan" badges and relevant stuff, until they set a body of examination up, which will approve film music fans and dismiss others who'll fail, there's no minimum requirements to become one; not fsm cd's, not varese, no nothing.
  5. He suggests that, in his opinion, you need to have an FSM (substitute Golden or Silver Age) CD to be a film music fan. I can see his point if you take the phrase "film music" in its broadest sense. Yes everyone who listens to film music is a "film music" fan as you define it, but a lot of people have quite restricted tastes (era, composer, etc). Which again is fine. It's great that we all love this music.

It's your opinion that someone who thinks what Justin wrote is wrong. Then you go and call them "retarded". And then it's reinforced with "ridiculous". "Now get over it", this is the sort of thing my teenage daughter says. It's your opinion but the tone - to me - suggests that what you say is gospel.

Maybe it's just me - no-one else seems to take the bait when this happens. And, all this seemingly-petulant way of giving opinions is just getting tiresome.

We are always putting ourselves higher than other messageboards because of the way we behave on the forum. But sometimes, we are no different. Perhaps I am coming across in the wrong tone, and maybe it's all a reflection of how online forums and peoples' personalities can clash. But sometimes I despair. Hence the need for matches.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am sorry Alan, for my tone. It's topics like this and debates like this ("true" film music fans, golden era vs new stuff and crap like that) that tire me with message boards. We don't regularly have that, and that's one of the elements that make us different than fsm. Justin - and others, frequently try to bring stuff like that over here and irritates me; his comment 'nobody is interested to post pr here apart the pr lady' is what triggered me, a comment which i still think is stupid. If Justin is so nostalgic of fsm then why did he get banned from there?
  6. Demetris wrote
    Erm, why? Justin suggested in the previous page that it's unimaginable not to have at least one fsm. WHERE does it say something like that? Also, he complained that nobody comes to post pr here, unlike fsm. Well, we are a wholly different community here, obviously. I don't get what's wrong with my tone...

No, you're not paying attention to what I wrote. I said for "online" score fans, in regards to having at least one FSM CD.

And I said "announcements" and referenced in posts LLLR, Kritzerland, and said the only one who comes here is that PR lady. Actually, not true -- Mikael used to hop on it a bit with MSM.

These are both different things to what you posted above.

I'd take a few LLLR, Intrada, Kritzerland, Quartet, etc., announcement threads, over pages of PR threads, which is what the PR lady has turned the MMUK board into.

Demetris is entitled to his opinion, no need to heap ontop him. If the MOD's don't like it, they'll take care of it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I don't think D's use of the word is to directly accuse someone of having an actual mental disability that causes them learning difficulties, but more its modern colloquial use to describe someone or something as just being plain idiotic. I can be just as retarded in the things I do as the next person. And I can assure you I have been.
  7. I apologise to everyone here that I made the initial comments in such an open way, and Demetris, I am especially sorry to you for lashing out at your good self. A confluence of things just made me "snap".

Whilst we are on the subject of how great this place is and the community that lives here, I am hopeful that that's that and we can concentrate on listening to and talking about great music - whatever the era.

Again, sorry Demetris.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Justin, continue posting your stuff here and don't whine that it doesn't get the attention you'd wish for; it's not the forum's problem. Also, leave us - the mods, alone. When you f*cked up and should deal with the mods some time ago, you chose to ignore us so don't bitch now that it slaps you back.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I apologise to everyone here that I made the initial comments in such an open way, and Demetris, I am especially sorry to you for lashing out at your good self. A confluence of things just made me "snap".

Whilst we are on the subject of how great this place is and the community that lives here, I am hopeful that that's that and we can concentrate on listening to and talking about great music - whatever the era.

Again, sorry Demetris.

Alan, do not apologize. Steven - whose English is of course far more correct than mine, put it exactly the way i intended it; but i realize it wasn't clear, after your remarks. So no harm done at all here, again i apologize i offended you. So, back to the music indeed! beer
  8. What the hell are you talking about? Please point to where in the above posts I complained my posts were not getting attention.

So far, there's jsut one person with a problem here. Somehow you're adding 2 + 2 and getting 5.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, let's see; in this topic it's you who usually posts. And then out of the blue you go:

justin boggan wrote
    I guess MainTitles is just a worn out old shoe; nobody wants to come here to make announcements except the PR lady.

So, who's complaining?
  9. Once again, you are not reading properly, maybe an overall failure to comprehend, the posts of mine that you are commenting on. So, let me write this comment very simplistically for you (this is not meant in an insulting way):

You said I was whining that nobody was reading posts made here.
    I said I was not. I was pointing out that you were reading my posts but failing to understand them. That's the post you referenced, which is NOT this one:

justin boggan:
    I guess MainTitles is just a worn out old shoe; nobody wants to come here to make announcements except the PR lady.

And how could it be? Where in that posts did I complain nobody here or from another board, was not reading my posts and that I was complaining?

Demetris, you've gotten all this wrong thus far.
  10. If you did only have one FSM cd, TORA TORA TORA is a pretty good choice. Good album, not too much of that 'alternate version' or 'unused take with rare brass flub' nonsense. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  11. A wad of new releases:

Kritzerland:
    LOVE IS A MANY-SPLENDORED THING/THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH

Music Composed and Conducted by Alfred Newman

Love Is A Many-Splendored Thing was a big, glossy, uber-romantic tale of an illicit interracial love affair back in the days when that sort of thing was rather scandalous. The screenplay was by John Patrick (from the novel by Han Suyin), who had won a Pulitzer Prize for adapting The Teahouse of the August Moon for Broadway. To direct, producer Buddy Adler hired the wonderful director Henry King, a Fox regular who’d helmed such pictures as The Song of Bernadette, Captain from Castile, A Bell for Adano, The Gunfighter, David and Bathsheba, The Snows of Kilimanjaro, King of the Khyber Rifles and many others. The stars were starry indeed – William Holden and Jennifer Jones. The film was a box-office and critical success, and audiences loved the story, the performances, and the lush cinematography of Leon Shamroy. The film was nominated for a whopping eight Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Actress, and it won for Best Costume Design, Best Song (by Sammy Fain and Paul Francis Webster) and, best of all, Best Music, Scoring of a Dramatic of Comedy Picture.

Alfred Newman’s score is one of the most romantic and beautiful scores ever written. Newman’s stunning variations on the Fain and Webster song, along with his own gorgeous secondary themes creates a unique atmosphere with a swirling tenderness that’s almost indescribable. The music for Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing aches and roils with love, loneliness, lost feelings, and confused hearts. It’s a glorious listening experience and one of Newman’s crowning achievements in film scoring, and that’s saying something given the number of masterpieces he wrote during his long and illustrious career.

Just a few months previously, before audiences would swoon to Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing, Billy Wilder’s film version of George Axelrod’s hilarious play, The Seven Year Itch, had audiences rolling in the aisles. With original star Tom Ewell repeating his Broadway role and the incandescent and stunning Marilyn Monroe as “The Girl,” The Seven Year Itch was a huge hit, due in part to the iconic image of Monroe standing on a subway grating with her dress (designed by Travilla) blowing up – it was not possible to escape that image that year, and it’s been hard to escape it ever since. As the tagline to the poster read: It TICKLES and it TANTALIZES, and boy did it ever. And equally as tantalizing is the score by Alfred Newman. Newman’s score is monothematic, with many variations on the same theme – “The Girl Upstairs.” It also has a classic Newman main title that gets things off to a rousing start.

Love Is a Many Splendored Thing was released previously by Varese Sarabande and was a quick sellout. For this release, we’ve remastered it and moved two early source cues, one of which is by Leigh Harline, to after the film score proper, giving the actual early score cues a bit more prominence. The Seven Year Itch is making its world premiere on this CD. We’ve included the main title, and several variations on “The Girl Upstairs,” which represents most of what was usable from the somewhat problematic original materials. The entire program is presented in that unparalleled Fox stereo sound.

Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing/The Seven Year Itch is limited to 1000 copies only. The price is $19.98, plus shipping.

CDs are in stock and will ship within a day or two. To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

Quartet Records:
    SHANKS
    Music Composed and Conducted by Alex North

Alex North was one of Hollywood’s most versatile and renowned composers, with many familiar and justly celebrated scores to his credit (Spartacus, A Streetcar Named Desire et al). However, our latest Quartet Records release, in collaboration with Paramount Pictures, sheds light on an unfamiliar corner of the composer’s work: Shanks (1974).

Produced by the composer’s son, Steven North, Shanks was the last film directed by William Castle, and the only feature to star celebrated French mime artist Marcel Marceau. Virtually unknown today, the film defies categorization: part fairy tale, part silent movie, part comedy, part horror flick. Marceau plays Malcolm Shanks, a deaf-mute puppeteer whose work for an eccentric old inventor (also portrayed by Marceau) leads to some of the most bizarre scenes in any Castle film. Like the film, North’s score is a genre-bending enigma—a profusion of styles in which early 20th-century musical expressionism rubs shoulders with Dixieland, and classic horror picture tropes coexist with passages of tenderhearted lyricism.

Well over an hour in length, North’s score was brilliantly orchestrated by Henry Brant for two different ensembles (one comprised mostly of winds and the other consisting primarily of strings). It includes a jaunty theme for Malcolm and a sweetly gentle melody for his friend Celia. Both humor and pathos can be found in the music, as well as passages of unnerving suspense.

We are delighted to finally release a true gem—one of the least-known works of Alex North. This unusual score was awarded a well-deserved Oscar nomination for Best Original Dramatic Score in 1974.

This premiere CD release of Alex North’s complete score for Shanks, mastered from ¼? monaural tapes housed in the Alex North collection in the Margaret Herrick Library at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, features a 12-page booklet with notes by Frank K. DeWald and numerous film stills. Limited edition of 1000 units.

WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH HELEN?
    Music Composed and Conducted by David Raksin

Legendary David Raksin thriller score gets premiere CD release to commemorate the centenary of the composer's birth!

Curtis Harrington's What's the Matter with Helen? (1971) is a film that was clearly inspired by the success of Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?, as well as other movies from the hagsploitation subgenre. Starring Shelley Winters and Debbie Reynolds, the film tells the story of two mothers whose sons have committed a horrible murder back in their Iowa hometown. After receiving a threatening phone call, Helen and Adelle leave for LA to start a new life and make a living through their dance school for little girls. Adelle seems to have it all: she finds a suitor who accepts her past and gets a taste of upper-class life. Meanwhile Helen starts to see ghosts from the past and tries to battle the shadows through the power of religion. The different choices of the two women lead to an inevitable tragedy.

David Raksin's memorable score (featuring ingenious quotations of the chillingly incorporated "Goody, Goody") was previously released on a gray market LP shortly after the film's premiere. The LP had no track titles on it, mixed up the program and had several problems - the most noticeable being a missing saxophone overlay from the main title march!. During our two years’ research we managed to put together the most complete and best sounding release possible from the surviving elements, in a true labor of love. The original tapes being largely lost and Raksin’s personal copy decidedly useless (as it was fully impaired and was used for audio experiments in sound studios), our only option was to restore several copies of the infamous bootleg LP, incorporating an incomplete music stem in mono, courtesy of MGM, with good quality.

This release may be short but contains over 90 percent of the score in addition to unused cues. Because of its running time and the only possible elements used, we offer the product at a special price.

The CD is accompanied by a generous full color 20-page booklet with a preface by Raksin’s archivist Marilee Bradford and further details about the film, the composer and the score by Gergely Hubai (including a track-by-track analysis). Limited edition of 1000 units

And a list of upcoming scores from Howlin' Wolf Records, from their site:

"In the Name of Sherlock Holmes" (Róbert Gulya)

Coming 2013:
    "Dark Souls" (Wojciech Golczewski)
    "Cool Air / Invasion" (Tony Riparetti)
    "The Bogeymen" (Tim Krog, limited; 1980 film)
  12. Certain members of our little forum may be pleased to see the release of this little title:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Witchfinder-Pau … amp;sr=1-1

Paul Ferris' Witchfinder General, scheduled for a December 10th release from De Wolfe.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2012
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Certain members of our little forum may be pleased to see the release of this little title:

Paul Ferris' Witchfinder General, scheduled for a December 10th release from De Wolfe.

That'll be ME! punk ....and Martijn. beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    uhm
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    When you hear the theme it'll be YOU too Bregt wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2012 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Certain members of our little forum may be pleased to see the release of this little title:

shocked shocked shocked shocked

WANT!

...except considering the DeWolfe label, it´s likely to be mono... slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What albums of DeWolfe label do you have Martijn, I have no experience of them.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2012 edited
    HAWK THE SLAYER

This will have limited appeal to many here but I've always loved this Harry Robertson score, infectious fun and catchy, love it and will have to order cool Those who like their fantasy scores full of huge orchestras and mighty choirs should steer well clear wink