• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2021
    This is another topic we've broached in the Zoom chats (what HAVEN'T we discussed at this point, after 10 meetings?), but it should be worthy of its own topic.

What are some of your other "passions" or interests beyond film music -- either from your early years, since abandoned, or these days?
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I suppose I would have to say that the main interest I have is bird-watching. I have always had an interest in birds. I remember when I was a teenager having a number of bird identification books that I would study but the weird thing is is that I don't recall ever actually actively going out looking for birds! My interest back then seemed to be purely to pour over the books and read about the birds.

Probably this may be partly due to the some of the books I had featured birds not native to the UK - one book in particular (I learned only relatively recently) was an ID book for birds of Eastern Europe!

Taking a more active interest in the birds around me didn't really happen until relatively recently (about 10 years or so). Which is a shame considering I have been on some school holidays to the Baltic region and the Mediterranean back in the 1970s and all the times I went abroad when I worked for the medical devices company I used to work for. I sometimes think of all the birds I would have seen!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2021
    Have you seen the Jack Black comedy about birdwatching, Alan?
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    Have you seen the Jack Black comedy about birdwatching, Alan?

Goodness, no! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Love bird watching too, but don't spending anytime seeking it out. But I do have an app where I star the species of birds I've seen in real life.

One of my hobbies (and I'm getting excited for it now that spring is here) that you already know about is mushroom hunting. (For culinary mushrooms that is.) Morel season is almost here! Looking forward to my all-natural foraged veggie sausage!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2021
    I’m a keen cyclist... but only in good weather. I tend to shred a lot of weight in the Summer only to put it back in the colder months. Mostly because my other passion is food and cooking. biggrin

I also love horror fiction and I’m a huge aviation geek.
  4. Some things were good during these covid times: gaming (my PS5 goes in overtime now) and netflix.

Some things you wish to restart soon when the covid madness ends (or at least diminishes): theme parks (Disney paris or other theme parks in Germany and Belgium, oh how I missed you), spa's (yes a nice soothing sauna or massage and I'm happy) and naturally meeting friends in real life where you're able to sit close to them during a nice barbecue (is it really that much to ask?)

Let's hope we have some things to look forward too this upcoming summer. Most notably get togethers with friends and family
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Some things were good during these covid times: gaming (my PS5 goes in overtime now) and netflix.

I wish I could related to your first two hobby mentions Thomas, but alas, I'm no gamer or Netflix binger. But YESSSS to meeting friends in real life!! biggrin
  6. LSH wrote
    Mostly because my other passion is food and cooking. biggrin

What are some of your favorite types of foods to cook Lee?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2021
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    LSH wrote
    Mostly because my other passion is food and cooking. biggrin

What are some of your favorite types of foods to cook Lee?

Well - for some background - I trained as a chef in Australia after I dropped out of my first degree 12(!) years ago. Then I spent six months working at a Michelin starred restaurant in my home town of Birmingham in the UK... and learned A LOT. I just couldn't hack the environment of a professional kitchen. Now, I love cooking in my own kitchen at my own pace.

In terms of food I cook, I'm a big fan of South Asian and South East Asian cuisines. Spanish and Italian. I also love trying to elevate my own country's cuisine in interesting ways. I'm open to anything really... I just love filling my house with good cooking smells. lick
  7. Wow, that's super cool! I have a friend who went to culinary school and said the exact same about the professional kitchen life, so she hasn't worked in that kind of environment since!

And, yum, so many tasty cuisines! My favorites to cook are more Mediterranean, like Lebanese, Turkish and my most favorite cuisine of all is Ethiopian - I make the sourdough pancakes, injera, in my own kitchen now, and it's such a treat because otherwise, I'd never get to eat it because I live so far from any bigger cities. Plus, I really love French cuisine - savory galettes are probably my most favorite dinners to make because they taste so good and are relatively quick and easy and when you throw a side salad next to it, it's the perfect meal! biggrin lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2021 edited
    I WISH I were good at cooking. I'm quite interested in it. I watch a lot of cooking shows. But my own skill is fairly limited, even if I've lived alone my whole adult life and need to make my own dinners. I make a mean deep pan pizza, though (US-style....or 80s style, as we would say in Norway). And I have a particular pasta recipe that is to die for.

I don't like to put 'travelling' up as a passion, even though it is. Because everybody loves to travel, so nothing special about that. I did a lot of global trekking in my 30s, in particular.

As a kid and teenager, I had some definite interests. I liked, and was fairly good at, drawing. I created loads of comic book strips from a very early age. Took art classes and was a reasonable talent. I have some of those things in my basement; might pull them up for a Zoom meeting in the future. But then when I moved to Oslo in 1996, I kinda abandoned it.

Writing was another passion. I wrote LOTS of fiction in my sparetime as a kid and teen - two novels and a lot of short stories, all handwritten. Writing is what I do today, so I guess that kinda lives on. Although not so much fiction anymore; it's pretty much all non-fiction.

Playing the piano was yet another passion. I nooded around on an ancient grand piano that my parents had inherited when I was age 4 or 5 or thereabouts, and onwards. Even composed a few things. Without knowing notes or anything. I'm still kinda angry at my parents for not recognizing this talent and giving me piano lessons. Oh well, bygones. I can also get around on bongos and tamtams (played some perc in bands as a teen).

Girls and parties were a definite passion in the mid 2000s and all through the early 2010s, but that has waned to almost zero now, due to various circumstances.

Back in my fit days, I loved ball sports. Playing football (no, not the US kind), basketball, badminton, table tennis. I was also a sports nut, keeping updated ranking lists in all imagineable sports. I'm still interested in sports, but far more selective.

Beer is obviously a passion, truly awakened after my first visit to Belgium in 2010. I try to learn as much as I can (and I have Michael Jackson's seminal beer book -- no, not THAT Michael Jackson), but I feel it's all rather overwhelming.

In my "old age", I've become particularly interested in genealogy. Always been a history buff, but I love it when I combine historical context with specific stories. Whether they are from my own family history or someone else's.

Anyways, those were some things off the top of my head.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Thor wrote
    I have some of those things in my basement; might pull them up for a Zoom meeting in the future.

I'd LOVE to see some of your art Thor!!

Thor wrote
    Playing football (no, not the US kind), basketball, badminton, table tennis. I was also a sports nut, keeping updated ranking lists in all imagineable sports. I'm still interested in sports, but far more selective.

That's so awesome! I'm not very sporty, but give me a bean bag and I'll crush you at Corn Hole! Haha!

Thor wrote I've become particularly interested in genealogy. Always been a history buff, but I love it when I combine historical context with specific stories. Whether they are from my own family history or someone else's.

That's neat! Have you found out anything interesting about your family's history?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2021 edited
    I'll try to find some of the art for the next meeting. Between that and the film/music books, there's a lot to show when that evening comes around in a couple of weeks. smile

I'm sure you would crush me in corn hole, although I have no idea what that is.

I know many interesting things about my family's history, but I want to explore further. And I'm totally obsessed by genealogy shows like WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? etc.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Thor wrote
    Back in my fit days, I loved ball sports. Playing football (no, not the US kind), basketball, badminton, table tennis. I was also a sports nut, keeping updated ranking lists in all imagineable sports. I'm still interested in sports, but far more selective.

I have not kept up any of the sports I played at school. I used to play for the high school basketball team and for their table tennis teams. I wasn't very good at basketball and was always part of the players sat on the bench, only coming on when the main team needed a rest and the score was much in our favour. But I enjoyed it.

I was much better at table tennis and worked my way up from the 3rd team (of 3 players) to the 1st team. I wished that I had been able to keep playing table tennis after I left school but that sport never seemed to be popular at sports centres where we lived.

Thor wrote
    In my "old age", I've become particularly interested in genealogy. Always been a history buff, but I love it when I combine historical context with specific stories. Whether they are from my own family history or someone else's.

I have a bit of an interest in genealogy too. I haven't done much digging recently but I still have an active Ancestry subscription that I use as my main way of doing research. Looking into family history highlights how little we know about our families, even when it comes to the lives of our parents. There's so many questions I have now that I would love to ask my parents - mostly mundane questions - that I can't now ask.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2021
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    Lebanese, Turkish and my most favorite cuisine of all is Ethiopian

I love middle eastern cuisine, including those you mention. I visited an Ethiopian restaurant many years ago back home and enjoyed it very much. Forgive me, I cannot remember what I ate.
  10. LSH wrote
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    Lebanese, Turkish and my most favorite cuisine of all is Ethiopian

I love middle eastern cuisine, including those you mention. I visited an Ethiopian restaurant many years ago back home and enjoyed it very much. Forgive me, I cannot remember what I ate.

This doesn't really add anything to the conversation but the last restaurant we visited before lockdown served Lebanese food. This was the first time we had tried it and it was very enjoyable indeed.

It's difficult finding much variety in terms of food from different countries here in North Wales. If I lived in a city where numerous restaurants were to hand then I would be twice the size I am now!
  11. FalkirkBairn wrote
    This doesn't really add anything to the conversation but the last restaurant we visited before lockdown served Lebanese food. This was the first time we had tried it and it was very enjoyable indeed.

That's awesome! So glad you enjoyed it! The roasted eggplant dip baba ghanoush is one of my favorite things to make. And falafel too! lick

If I lived in a city where numerous restaurants were to hand then I would be twice the size I am now!

Haha, yes totally with you there! I have to make everything at home, because I live 5 hours from San Francisco and 6 hours from Portland where there is a plethora of international cuisine, and that's just too far to go for dinner! In my small town, there's only one (and sadly, not very good) Indian food restaurant, so it's definitely do-it-yourself around here. But when I lived in the LA area, it was so wonderful to eat all the international cuisines and frequent all their amazing groceries stores too. Other than friends I don't get to see often, it's the only thing I miss.
  12. As well as tasting good I think baba ghanoush is one of the greatest-sounding phrases!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2021 edited
    Given my interest in cooking shows, and EATING food, I'm fairly certain I would have had more interest in actually MAKING exotic food myself, if I'd had a bigger kitchen. My kitchen, if you can call it that, is basically just a corner of a room with a tiny kitchen counter. Probably the tiniest kitchen you'd ever seen.

But I can dig up that old pasta recipe for you, if I can find it. Something for our food thread:

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … d/#Item_20
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2021 edited
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    That's neat! Have you found out anything interesting about your family's history?

Bits and pieces, but there's far more to explore.

I've also become totally obsessed with TV shows like WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? and various other things about family history, antiques, old houses etc. This would have bored me to tears 20 years ago, LOL!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2021
    Thor wrote
    Something for our food thread:

Oh, I'm definitely resurrecting that thread since I was the one who killed it. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2021
    LSH wrote
    Thor wrote
    Something for our food thread:

Oh, I'm definitely resurrecting that thread since I was the one who killed it. biggrin

Go for it, Lee! But you still have a way to go to beat me. According to the statistics page, I'm on 5th place of "conversation kills" with 221 discussions murdered. Thankfully, Alan is one place above me with 229 kills. 2 and 3 are Demetris and sdtom - neither active anymore - while no. 1 is the PR entity of Cinemediapromo (hard to beat PR entities in terms of conversation kills).
    I am extremely serious.