• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2013
    Lincoln John Williams

No interest in seeing the movie at all, especially given Michael's astute analysis of these types of things, but I am coming around a bit to this as an album. Well, that's a lie. I'm enjoying the finale piece. It's very nice indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The film is wonderful (although not without flaws) and the score the same. The album has grown on me considerably since the first couple of listens.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I haven't given up on it either. There are a largish number of albums I could name that I was initially underwhelmed by that eventually became loved favourites. For the meantime I'll rest it and try it again when I feel my mood is more receptive to that style of score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'd recommend just giving that finale piece another go, perhaps in a playlist. I heard it on one of those Silva "Film Music 20XX" albums -oddly enough the 2012 one- and it spurred me to give the original another chance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Close Encounters John Williams

No words necessary. Except these.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Close Encounters John Williams

No words necessary. Except these.

Five words, five notes. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: WHALERIDER (Lisa Gerrard)

This is such a gorgeous score. If you liked Söderqvist's use of conch shells in KON-TIKI, you'll like this. Ethereal and "envelopping" (in lack of a better word).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Lincoln John Williams

No interest in seeing the movie at all, especially given Michael's astute analysis of these types of things, but I am coming around a bit to this as an album. Well, that's a lie. I'm enjoying the finale piece. It's very nice indeed.

I really enjoyed the film. It film plays more like a stage play. Lots of dialogue and static scenes where Spielberg just locks off the camera be and lets the actors fill the scene with there performances. Daniel Day Lewis is superb as is Tommy Lee Jones. And the cinematography is gorgeous! Great music as well!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2013 edited
    Brass party:
    End Titles from Star Trek: First Contact
    Main Titles from Krull
    Suite from Mulan
    punk
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2013
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Lincoln John Williams

I really enjoyed the film. It film plays more like a stage play. Lots of dialogue and static scenes where Spielberg just locks off the camera be and lets the actors fill the scene with there performances. Daniel Day Lewis is superb as is Tommy Lee Jones. And the cinematography is gorgeous! Great music as well!

-Erik-

I think Daniel Day Lewis's performance is the only thing that makes me want to watch this film. I'm sure it's a very well made film, it's Spielberg after all. But I can't say I'm particularly interested in a film about Lincoln. Simple as that really!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well, saying that, he did make Indiana Jones 4. But I think it's fair to blame Lucas for that. In fact, I blame Lucas for just about every bad thing in the world. That's how bad he is at making movies.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2013 edited
    Steven wrote
    Well, saying that, he did make Indiana Jones 4. But I think it's fair to blame Lucas for that. In fact, I blame Lucas for just about every bad thing in the world. That's how bad he is at making movies.

...and some are worried about J.J. Abrams taking over Star Wars. rolleyes wink

p.s. I love History and all things historical and I'm trying to figure why a film about Lincoln doesn't interest me at all?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Perhaps because the film has nothing to do with actual history?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Scribe wrote

I think you're confusing it with ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Scribe wrote

If the Spielberg film doesn't cover Lincoln's days as a vampire slayer then I'm definitely giving it a miss.
  1. franz_conrad wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Last of the Mohicans (1992) - Trevor Jones / Rany Edelman

Gawd, I love this score to pieces!

Does anyone know if the Varese re-recording adds something to the original?

Volker

It adds a few minutes, subtracts quite a few others, and both the sequencing and the recording tends to bring the material of Jones and Edelman into a more similar sounding texture. The clear distinction between the composer's work becomes less obvious than on the original album, and in part because Edelman's more atmospheric cues are where most of the chopping happened. 'Promontory' is stronger than on the original album, but still not the complete track, alas. The recording does give the music more room to breathe than the tighter original score tracks did. Where it loses out is in the substitution of orchestral textures for electronic ones -- pieces like 'Elk Hunt' suffer a little in the translation.

Thanks Franz and Martijn! I got a used copy of th re-recording this morning. I will listen to it in the course of the weekend.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ARTHUR OF THE BRITONS - Paul Lewis

Superb!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

This is such a gorgeous score. If you liked Söderqvist's use of conch shells in KON-TIKI, you'll like this. Ethereal and "envelopping" (in lack of a better word).

This is another score that I might enjoy more now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

This is another score that I might enjoy more now.

So you're veering the same way I do -- away from the bold and the brassy to the mellow and smooth?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    NP: "Sound of Cinema: Composing for Hollywood" - BBC Radio 3 show

This is an interesting 45-minute radio show on writing music for movies. I'm 10 minutes in and there's been interesting discussions from James Horner and Danny Elfman. And now a bit of a discussion on the Titus vs 300, a discussion on Hollywood's aversion to the original score in order to minimise risk at the box office and Gabriel Yared's rejection of his score for Troy.

Interviews with Lorne Balfe (he's Scottish!) and Hans Zimmer as well. Interesting to hear that Balfe is reluctant to talk when asked about the work allocation when a group of composers are working on a film.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03bfjqv

(not available outside UK & available for another 2 days only)

Turned out to be a very interesting critique on the homogenisation of film score music for big Hollywood films to sound pretty much the same.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No, I've always enjoyed both sides. I think WHALERIDER sent me to sleep last time I played it but I also remember not liking it much, that's why ( at some point ) I'd like to reappraise it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Arthur And The Britons - Paul Lewis

It's not hard to understand why Timmer loves this: there's a strong Barry-esque current running throughout the compositions. It's not bad! and for seventies UK TV scoring this is quite big in scope (the orchestration is way beyond what I'd expect from that time), but whether it's the miking or budget constraints (historically I would assume it's the latter), the orchestra sounds quite small.

What doesn't help my appreciation is that I have no attachment to the television series, never having seen it.
    So as interesting as it is, I remain a little lukewarm towards it.
    As the score is VERY long (80 minutes), it might be a good idea for me to revisit it later and create a shorter playlist.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: "Sound of Cinema: Composing for Hollywood" - BBC Radio 3 show

This is an interesting 45-minute radio show on writing music for movies. I'm 10 minutes in and there's been interesting discussions from James Horner and Danny Elfman. And now a bit of a discussion on the Titus vs 300, a discussion on Hollywood's aversion to the original score in order to minimise risk at the box office and Gabriel Yared's rejection of his score for Troy.

Interviews with Lorne Balfe (he's Scottish!) and Hans Zimmer as well. Interesting to hear that Balfe is reluctant to talk when asked about the work allocation when a group of composers are working on a film.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03bfjqv

(not available outside UK)

Turned out to be a very interesting critique on the homogenisation of film score music for big Hollywood films to sound pretty much the same.

And a "lively" discussion over at FSM (is it ever anything else?) on the show:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=0
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Scribe wrote

If the Spielberg film doesn't cover Lincoln's days as a vampire slayer then I'm definitely giving it a miss.

I'm talking about the Spielberg film. If you think its not filled with sugar-coated historical inaccuracies, then you should probably do some research about its subject matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Ugh.

Hm. Sounds like the program bashed in all the open doors, and all the usual suspects over at FSM had all the usual opinions.
    Maybe I'm getting jaded: I full realise these arguments and points are and remain salient, but I've simply heard/seen all of 'em too often to really be able to muster up any new or passionate arguments.

I guess the major attraction of the program would be actually hearing the actual composers speak.
    A historical curiosity, to be sure!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. It's sometimes a disadvantage for us to be immersed in this sort of subject so that we are familiar with the points covered in the documentary. But, as you hint at Martijn, it's a change to hear the composers themselves talk about the subject rather than having people on both sides bitch about it in ever decreasing circles.

It was interesting to hear how disillusioned Horner seemed to be about the state of film music in general at the moment. And it was also interesting to hear how he isolates himself from all that is Hollywood in his home: no memorabilia at all of the movies. I liked how Horner referenced Williams' Superman score (particularly the opening scene) and how it is so distinctive. Jump ahead to now and he was saying that it would be difficult to tell any of the current superhero scores apart, including Man of Steel.

And I hadn't realised that there was such a large "gagging order" in place over the Titus/300 incident.

It's a shame that the programme isn't more widely available.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Ugh.

Hm. Sounds like the program bashed in all the open doors, and all the usual suspects over at FSM had all the usual opinions.
    Maybe I'm getting jaded: I full realise these arguments and points are and remain salient, but I've simply heard/seen all of 'em too often to really be able to muster up any new or passionate arguments.

I guess the major attraction of the program would be actually hearing the actual composers speak.
    A historical curiosity, to be sure!

Indeed.

The BBC program provoked me in its rather one-sided angle -- it was far too tabloid, focussing on the negative aspects alone (which have been discussed ad nauseaum in film music circles for years). Wish it were more nuanced.

I was also provoked by some of the reactionary responses in that thread, of course (typical of FSM), but I'm more concerned about a BBC program profiling the artform that way.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Clearly, growing up with a certain kind of music prevalent gives you ears specifically trained to discern details about that kind of music as opposed to others, because I find Horner's comment to be ridiculous. If anything, Williams' score is much less distinctive, since it uses the same structure and same "bold brassy hero theme" concept that the rest of Williams' scores of that time period use. Whereas Man of Steel, whether you like it or not, does things that a blockbuster action/adventure score has never done before. Obviously, he hasn't actually listened to many modern superhero scores. I couldn't tell Star Wars, Superman, and Indiana Jones apart if I wasn't already familiar with them, either. In fact, for much of my life I couldn't hum the love themes of those 3 films to myself because they are so similar that they got mixed up in my brain.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Scribe wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Scribe wrote

I'm talking about the Spielberg film. If you think its not filled with sugar-coated historical inaccuracies, then you should probably do some research about its subject matter.

I'm by no means a Lincoln expert, but I didn't find any striking inaccuracies in the film that I'm aware of. Of course, there will always be some dramatic licence here and there as this is a FICTION film, not a documentary.
    I am extremely serious.