• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2013
    What!?!

"It's a Long Road" is not only a fab song, it's also among my favourite Goldsmith compositions of all time!

Granted, the instrumental, orchestral version is more attractive than the song. For me, it sums up many things -- the loneliness of the protagonist, misty weather and forested mountainscapes. Absolutely gobsmackingly beautiful theme.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    How refreshing to be talking about someone like Jerry Goldsmith rather than the "usual" MV/RC related twaddle. smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah -- we need more discussions about the "silver age" composers here, I think (and 80's and 90's stuff, which is "my" period).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2013 edited
    Thor wrote
    What!?!

"It's a Long Road" is not only a fab song, it's also among my favourite Goldsmith compositions of all time!

Granted, the instrumental, orchestral version is more attractive than the song. For me, it sums up many things -- the loneliness of the protagonist, misty weather and forested mountainscapes. Absolutely gobsmackingly beautiful theme.

Is it like a film music 'high-five' moment, you know, The Asteroid Field 'gimme five' punk , The Windmills of Your Mind, 'gimme five' punk , It's A Long Road....... ( Thor's lone hand in the air ) wave

And just for equalities sake...

Me: John Barry's 007 And Counting 'gimme five' punk ....

Thor: uhm
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Yeah -- we need more discussions about the "silver age" composers here, I think (and 80's and 90's stuff, which is "my" period).

Agree!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He, he....yeah, something like that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Hans Zimmer
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. James Horner
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Thor wrote

I listened to King Kong Lives (1986) by John Scott this afternoon.

A fun orchestral action romp!
    The film was so bad that you actually wonder why Jerry Goldsmith missed the opportunity for a sublime score here. biggrin

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote

I listened to King Kong Lives (1986) by John Scott this afternoon.

A fun orchestral action romp!
    The film was so bad that you actually wonder why Jerry Goldsmith missed the opportunity for a sublime score here. biggrin

Volker

I've seen the last 15 minutes or so of this film, it's gobsmackingly goofy beyond belief, it made me feel I was on drugs.

Not a big fan of the score, it just sounds like John Scott was listening to a lot of Maurice Ravel.
  3. NP: Das fliegende Klassenzimmer / The Flying Classroom (2003) - Niky Reiser

Esteemed Swiss composer Nicky Reiser (Beyond Silence) at his very best! Jaunty, relentlessly melodic, brilliant!

The film is based on the novel by Erich Kästner on which grave in Munich I once left a rose. I really did. I adore that man.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    All this time I seriously though Niki Reiser was female.
  4. I can't even discern his first name from the posts. So far we have:

Niky
    Nicky
    and Niki
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. My mistake: The Name is Niki.

The name is popular in Austria (Niki Lauda) and Switzerland. It is a proper name but is is also an abridged version of Nikolaus.
  6. NP: The Last of the Mohicans (1992) - Trevor Jones / Rany Edelman

Gawd, I love this score to pieces!

Does anyone know if the Varese re-recording adds something to the original?

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes, it greatly expands the original material....but not in the best way: I find both the recording, direction and the balance between material from Edelman and Jones in the original release much more taut and poignant.
    I hardly ever listen to the rerercording.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. NP: The Chosen One - Franck Barré

Anyone like trailer music? I'm assuming that this is a selection of RipTide Music's trailer music library.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Chosen-One/ … chosen+one
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. Don Davis - The Matrix

Varese's Deluxe Edition. I love the score, in fact I think I like it the best from the trilogy, somehow. It's just great.

I am listening to it in preparation for the Sunday concert in Kraków, where this score will be played live to picture, conducted by Don Davis himself. Good times ahead smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2013
    Oh man! Pawel, I'm very envious! That will be a hell of a show!
  9. If the orchestra doesn't flunk... They did flunk some performance, though I don't think it was this one, regarded as the best orchestra in the country and one of the best in Europe, I think.
  10. Hans Zimmer - Black Rain

I really like it, what can I say. Hate the score or not, find 80s references all over it or not... the atmosphere is quite unique.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I don't often listen to MSM score releases.

But when I do, they're better than most of the normal releases that year.

NP: Gagarin: First in Space by George Kallis.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    I don't often listen to MSM score releases.

But when I do, they're better than most of the normal releases that year.

NP: Gagarin: First in Space by George Kallis.

I thought this was a very good score.
  11. PawelStroinski wrote
    Don Davis - The Matrix

Varese's Deluxe Edition. I love the score, in fact I think I like it the best from the trilogy, somehow. It's just great.

I am listening to it in preparation for the Sunday concert in Kraków, where this score will be played live to picture, conducted by Don Davis himself. Good times ahead smile

hearing the full score live when played in front of the picture still remains one of the best performances I've seen live. Fantastic orchestra that was, right Bregt?

hope the performance lives up to your expectations as well Pawel
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  12. NP: The Matrix Reloaded (2003) - Don Davis (LLL expanded)

Man, this is gorgeous!
    punk

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2013 edited
    It certainly has some gorgeous moments, but it's not the word that springs to mind when I think of Davis' Matrix music. 'Awesome' is a more appropriate description methinks.
  13. Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : LINCOLN - John Williams

Just as much of a slog to get through as when I first heard it.

It's bloody magnificent and is a perfect late-night listen. It's beautifully constructed, elegant, intimate, and unusually restrained for a Williams/Spielberg collaboration. I love it!

-Erik-

Indeed. Whenever someone gives a speech in the film, and the filmmakers want to suggest that in the scheme of things, they approve of the speaker's words, they add a warm halo of Americana around them. Unprecedented dramaturgy. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  14. Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Last of the Mohicans (1992) - Trevor Jones / Rany Edelman

Gawd, I love this score to pieces!

Does anyone know if the Varese re-recording adds something to the original?

Volker

It adds a few minutes, subtracts quite a few others, and both the sequencing and the recording tends to bring the material of Jones and Edelman into a more similar sounding texture. The clear distinction between the composer's work becomes less obvious than on the original album, and in part because Edelman's more atmospheric cues are where most of the chopping happened. 'Promontory' is stronger than on the original album, but still not the complete track, alas. The recording does give the music more room to breathe than the tighter original score tracks did. Where it loses out is in the substitution of orchestral textures for electronic ones -- pieces like 'Elk Hunt' suffer a little in the translation.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  15. NP: Matrix Revolutions (2003) - Don Davis

punk

Volker
  16. NP: Spartacus - Alex North

I'm listening to CD 5, one of the discs that features a number of notable names who were inspired by North's love theme to come up with their own variations.

I like some of them - the Santana version and the Nathan Barr/Lisbeth Scott stand out - but some are just too meandering. Yes, that's you the 11-minute Mark Isham version!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn