• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2013
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Nope. (Unless you're being sarcastic, then yes, it's my favourite score ever.)

Really? I didn't think it was all that great. Just pretty good.

Well,I didn't like the spelling of his last name.
    Personally I would have preferred one -l-. Or a few more c's. But at the end of the day it's all down to personal taste, I suppose.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote
    Damnit, I hate it when people rave about stuff. Means I gotta get it. If Steven likes it, however, it's a great chance I won't.

I'll save you the trouble; you won't like it. Too much 'bombast'.

Though I am surprised you like Avatar, that's actually a damn good score! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I do -- but mostly for the early, ethereal tracks. A track like "War" tends to w(e)ar me down.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Listening now.

Didn't care much for the first track -- not the most organic blend of electronics and orchestra.

But loving the second track, "Rise to the Light".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    I do -- but mostly for the early, ethereal tracks. A track like "War" tends to w(e)ar me down.

Of course. War is the best track on there. (That and Quaritch Down.)

Phew, normality is restored!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote

Didn't care much for the first track -- not the most organic blend of electronics and orchestra.

The concept of the game is about a futuristic world where people memories are re-written, so the electronics aren't really meant to blend in the way you might have been hoping for. Oddly enough, the score mirrors the concept of the game; by taking organic elements and bending and twisting them with technology.

It's a simple idea, perhaps an obvious one in hindsight - but it's pulled off so well. And it works largely because there's real heart and soul to this score underneath all that electronic manipulation. It even has a few moments of purely orchestral music to reflect, I assume, a moment or a memory unaltered by technology ('Our Parents', for example, is a very poignant track). The action music isn't exactly lacking either, and comparisons to Tron, The Matrix and David Arnold pretty much sum it up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Nope. (Unless you're being sarcastic, then yes, it's my favourite score ever.)

Really? I didn't think it was all that great. Just pretty good.

Well,I didn't like the spelling of his last name.
    Personally I would have preferred one -l-. Or a few more c's. But at the end of the day it's all down to personal taste, I suppose.

Well, there's always Lenin - only one l. If he's the sort of guy who floats your boat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I look on him as a mummy.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Well, there's no finer compliment than that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2013 edited
    Hmmm....listened to the whole thing (i.e. REMEMBER ME). As expected, it wasn't my cup of tea and I did, in fact, find it quite irritating at times. But I loved that second track.

So normalcy is indeed restored. I need a hefty dose of Cliff Martinez now. Or something.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Una Magnum Special per Tony Saitta - Armando Trovaioli

Another one I'm sure everyone else is sick of playing, but I'm only now hearing it for the first time. Pretty cool stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Hmmm....listened to the whole thing (i.e. REMEMBER ME). As expected, it wasn't my cup of tea and I did, in fact, find it quite irritating at times. But I loved that second track.

So normalcy is indeed restored. I need a hefty dose of Cliff Martinez now. Or something.

It would have been logically impossible for me to continue to enjoy this score had you also enjoyed it, so I thank you from the bottom of my heart for not enjoying this excellent score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
  1. NP: Rise of the Guardians - Alexandre Desplat

I haven't visited this score for a while. Well, it's more of a X-mas time score or isn't it? christmas_drunk

A great score all around. Maybe I should collect all scores performed by the London Symphony Orchestra. I wonder if anyone has done that?

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2013
    NP : ZERO DARK THIRTY - Alexandre Desplat

Fantastic! I love this score, very dark and moody.

I notice in the liner notes that Desplat thanks, amongst others, Billy Goldenberg? I wonder if this is the Billy Goldenberg who has written 100's of great quality TV scores?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote

A great score all around. Maybe I should collect all scores performed by the London Symphony Orchestra. I wonder if anyone has done that?

I'm sure some sad little man somewhere has done that biggrin wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It'd be a wee bit anorak-y, that's for sure. Oddly enough I used to be more of an anorak person when I was younger, I was obsessed with eventually trying to end up with every piece of music written by my favourite composers, even if they recorded their farts. Now, I'm more interested in what I'll actually enjoy, which means I'm not obliged to listen to and enjoy everything ever released by a certain composer. For example, I have very little interest in pre-70s Williams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    It'd be a wee bit anorak-y, that's for sure. Oddly enough I used to be more of an anorak person when I was younger, I was obsessed with eventually trying to end up with every piece of music written by my favourite composers, even if they recorded their farts. Now, I'm more interested in what I'll actually enjoy, which means I'm not obliged to listen to and enjoy everything ever released by a certain composer. For example, I have very little interest in pre-70s Williams.

You're missing out! Loads of great stuff in the 60's!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ah, but you like it! Therefore, logic dictates...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You're assuming that Steven hasn't heard any pre-70's Williams, Thor.
  2. Just wanted to indicate how much I love the LSO's performances. cheesy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Just wanted to indicate how much I love the LSO's performances. cheesy

Better get cracking then hadn't you. I hope you have my NP above, LSO playing right now. wink
  3. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Just wanted to indicate how much I love the LSO's performances. cheesy

Better get cracking then hadn't you. I hope you have my NP above, LSO playing right now. wink

Sorry, Tim, but I have lost you. Is that some kind of Cockney? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yew avin a giraffe?
  4. Yeah, google is your friend, isn't it? biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Why not? That's where you get your English biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2013 edited
    I just looked up a google cockney translator and it came up with this...

Uncle Fred the Pearly King
    Uncle Fred says ...
    Blimey! Are yew 'avin' a laugh. Nuff said, yeah?

...that's definitely avin a giraffe tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Vikings - Trevor Morris

I suppose there's an enjoyable 30 minutes or so within this ridiculously overlong score, if you like Dark Knight style synth and percussion pounding.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  5. Southall wrote
    Revenge - Izler

Good.

Now you need to play the scores that are "Bad." and "Ugly."
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.