• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2013
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    NP: The Last Stand - Mowg

A bit shit, really. Which is a shame, because there are a few moments here and there that are actually quite promising, including a one-off theme that's actually quite memorable in its ability to be both moody and slightly funky and retro-sounding. The rest is third-rate Powell/Bourne action music with very little structure at best, and a ton of droning dead spots at worst. The final cue, "Mowg's Symphony", wraps up the better parts of the score quite nicely (the theme I mentioned starts just past the four-minute mark).

Also, who or what is Mowg? dizzy

No idea? You were right about the theme at the 4 minute mark, very catchy, I liked it. The rest was meh.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2013 edited
    christopher wrote
    Lately I've listened through a number of Alan's list of obscure 2013 scores. Here are my thoughts:

DARKOUT - Daniel Sadowski.

This was not for me. It's very synthy, and really doesn't do much most of the time. The first track was a pretty good indication of what you're getting for the rest of the album, and by the end I was very tired of it. Luckily, it's a short album.

ROLLERBOY - Lorenzo Castellarin

This one was okay. The darker, actiony stuff wasn't much to my liking, but it also has some nice quieter piano-based tracks (see "The Newcomer" and "A Sudden Death"). That last track, "Confide in Me" is a little reminiscent of Eric Satie's famous Gymnopedie, though it's a little less stark.

SPACE SHUTTLE COLUMBIA: MISSION OF HOPE - Blake Neely

I really like this! This is the kind of music I love. I found this album thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish. It's uplifting, inspiring, and beautiful. There are a lot of highlights here, but my favorite is the penultimate "The Scroll Carries the Man." Great stuff! This is easily my favorite score of the year thus far. Thanks for pointing it out, Alan!

I'll take a 33% success rate! smile

And, thanks for taking the time to take a listen to the suggestions.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: DaVinci's Demons - Bear McCreary

Listen to it! Its awesome! Particularly the love theme is one of the best I've heard in years. The choice of instruments in the 2nd half of "Lucrezia Donati" makes it feel almost like Delerue.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    copied from what I said last week...

NP : ARTHUR OF THE BRITONS - Paul Lewis & Elmer Bernstein

I love the liner notes to this release, Paul Lewis went through quite an epic task to get this written and recorded in a small allotted time frame, it also confirmed what I'd thought all along that most of the cues were written as Library cues to be used in numerous episodes...battles on foot, on horseback, chases, fade-ups on sunny mornings, in drizzle, driving rain, fog etc plus mysterious underscore for sequences with tension, burning homesteads, happy children etc etc

Also of interest is that when Lewis was given Elmer Bernstein's theme for recording he saw that Elmer's notes ( the original music sheet is replicated in the notes ) stated it included an electric bass, Lewis decided he was having none of that in 5th Century Britain and dumped it.

Full of rich melodies and orchestral goodness that I note Lewis orchestrated himself, he believes orchestrating is an integral part of the composing creative process and it shows, this is music that lives and breathes and this TV score from 1972 is a real breath of fresh air.

Total duration : 78.38

...of which Elmer's theme and variations of the theme come to 13.36

Brilliant!

.............and still enjoying this release immensely. love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Scribe wrote
    NP: DaVinci's Demons - Bear McCreary

Listen to it!

Okay.

NP: DA VINCI'S DEMONS - Bear McCreary
  2. Howard Shore - The Betrayal - Nerakhoon

A beautiful, largely unknown restrained score. I discovered it by chance thanks to Spotify, which I joined a while ago.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : "BOOM!" - John Barry

Dark, broody, melancholic score with some great orchestration, even psychedelic, I've always loved this one, a perfect twilight/late evening score when in the right mood which I am now.

Pawel, if you're interested, this one is on Spotify.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Independence Day David Arnold

When life gives you lemons, play Independence Day. (Or whatever your favourite score happens to be.)
  3. Timmer wrote

Dark, broody, melancholic score with some great orchestration, even psychedelic, I've always loved this one, a perfect twilight/late evening score when in the right mood which I am now.

Oh, great. Didn't you say that some classical composers like Rautavaara also are on Spotify?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    christopher wrote

Any thoughts?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Pacific Rim - Ramin Djawadi

The recording quality seems to have magically increased a bit...hearing the really nice brass breathe a little more...
  4. NP: Elysium - Ryan Amon

Not liking this at all. Can somebody please tell me why when Steve Jablonsky samples an MRI machine amidst a score otherwise full of soulless, generic percussion and blaring low brass that reflects the worst of current Hans Zimmer tropes it's derided, but when Ryan Amon samples baboon chants amidst a score otherwise full of soulless, generic percussion and blaring low brass that reflects the worst of current Hans Zimmer tropes, it actually manages to garner reasonable acclaim? Honestly, Lockington's Percy Jackson score may not exactly be the most distinct music ever written but it's an absolute triumph of character compared to this, and yet it's getting worse reactions.

If Blomkamp was going to pluck someone out of trailer music into film scoring, couldn't he have gotten Thomas Bergersen? slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote

Oh, great. Didn't you say that some classical composers like Rautavaara also are on Spotify?

Yes, Rautavaara is there, all 8 of his symphonies and some other works, a few of which I've not heard and intend to check out. Lili Boulanger is there too, though not very much unfortunately. Psalm 130 is there and definitely worth a listen IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    NP: Elysium - Ryan Amon

Not liking this at all. Can somebody please tell me why when Steve Jablonsky samples an MRI machine amidst a score otherwise full of soulless, generic percussion and blaring low brass that reflects the worst of current Hans Zimmer tropes it's derided, but when Ryan Amon samples baboon chants amidst a score otherwise full of soulless, generic percussion and blaring low brass that reflects the worst of current Hans Zimmer tropes, it actually manages to garner reasonable acclaim? Honestly, Lockington's Percy Jackson score may not exactly be the most distinct music ever written but it's an absolute triumph of character compared to this, and yet it's getting worse reactions.

If Blomkamp was going to pluck someone out of trailer music into film scoring, couldn't he have gotten Thomas Bergersen? slant

I also failed to hear what others have heard and liked. If anyone can point me to the tracks that are actually enjoyable, please let me know (this is a genuine request). I've only made it to about track 8 I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Balto James Horner

If life give you more lemons, listen to Balto.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Balto James Horner

Yeah! I'll go with this one wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Can somebody please tell me why when Steve Jablonsky samples an MRI machine amidst a score otherwise full of soulless, generic percussion and blaring low brass that reflects the worst of current Hans Zimmer tropes it's derided, but when Ryan Amon samples baboon chants amidst a score otherwise full of soulless, generic percussion and blaring low brass that reflects the worst of current Hans Zimmer tropes, it actually manages to garner reasonable acclaim?

I enjoyed this sentence more than any bit from either score.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Scribe wrote
    christopher wrote

Any thoughts?

The main theme is cooler than I remembered it being (I haven't listened to for a couple months, and I had only listened to it once before). The love theme is nice. It's pretty, though it's mostly quiet. I liked "Lucrezia Donati" and could kind of hear the Delerueish sound you referred to, although I think they're not too similar. Still, it's a nice track. My problem with the album is that its length waters down the highlights. If I were to cut this back by half, or so, I think I would enjoy it a lot more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Balto James Horner

Yeah! I'll go with this one wink

Also, Twilight Zone: The Movie by Jerry Goldsmith... My god what a score. I think ID4 is my favourite in terms of pure excitement, but perhaps it's a little too hasty to deem it my absolute favourite given I'm a fan of Williams, Goldsmith and Horner. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2013 edited
    Steven wrote
    If anyone can point me to the tracks that are actually enjoyable, please let me know (this is a genuine request). I've only made it to about track 8 I think.

If you don't like the final 2 tracks, 'Elysium' and 'New Heaven, New Earth', then forget it. But those are the 2 highlights for me, and I think the others who liked Elysium. By the way, I tend to see a lot of critical response to this with only a few people backing it up positively, so I don't think it's getting that well a response.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Remember Me - Olivier Deriviere

It really is very good.
    I love the out-of-the-box playfulness Deriviere displays in working with his material. It doesn't hide the fact that the man really can write a good melody too. Great stuff!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HOME - Armand Amar

I've always admired Yann Arthus-Bertrand and would like to see this film. The music is lovely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    L'Uomo, L'Orgoglio, La Vendetta - Carlo Rustichelli

First listen. I guess everyone else has already heard it. Pretty good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nope. (Unless you're being sarcastic, then yes, it's my favourite score ever.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Remember Me - Olivier Deriviere

It really is very good.
    I love the out-of-the-box playfulness Deriviere displays in working with his material. It doesn't hide the fact that the man really can write a good melody too. Great stuff!

It's hard not to spin the hype wheel with this one, it's just so damn good. wave spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2013 edited
    Damnit, I hate it when people rave about stuff. Means I gotta get it. If Steven likes it, however, it's a great chance I won't.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Nope. (Unless you're being sarcastic, then yes, it's my favourite score ever.)

Really? I didn't think it was all that great. Just pretty good.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Damnit, I hate it when people rave about stuff. Means I gotta get it. If Steven likes it, however, it's a great chance I won't.

If you have Spotify you can check it out there Thor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I will.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote

I'll save you the trouble; you won't like it. Too much 'bombast'.