• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2013 edited
    Really!? shocked

Name them.

( I'm not being funny Alan, I'd really like to know )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2013
    Man of Steel, obviously. :P just kidding
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. Timmer wrote
    Really!? shocked

Name them.

( I'm not being funny Alan, I'd really like to know )

I may be a bit biased as I am not that keen on Wild China in the first place.

I will throw a few titles at you later!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Still spinning Austenland. Especially "Romanze", just can't get it out of my head, it's so darn gorgeous.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    Man of Steel, obviously. :P just kidding

No you're not, you reckon it's the best score in all eternity. tongue wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Apollo 13 - James Horner

Masterpiece.
  3. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : WILD CHINA - Barnaby Taylor

This is a really lovely score to the BBC documentary series from 2008, very recommended.

Though I believe it's available as download only.

In fact, I'm trying to think if there has been any score this year that's as good or better than WILD CHINA? So far the answer is NO!

There have been lots!

It's difficult when I don't really rate Wild China anyway (I just don't like what I hear) but here a few titles that are quality releases this year (and a bit off the beaten track)

Space Shuttle Columbia: Mission of Hope - Blake Neely

Rollerboy - Lorenzo Castellarin

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time - Peter McConnell

Darkout - Daniel Sadowski

Rubinrot - Philipp F. Kölmel

Tierra de Sangre - Patrick Kirst
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Southall wrote
    Apollo 13 - James Horner

Masterpiece.

Yes. I especially love the End Credits piece.
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

This is a really lovely score to the BBC documentary series from 2008, very recommended.

In fact, I'm trying to think if there has been any score this year that's as good or better than WILD CHINA? So far the answer is NO!

There have been lots!

It's difficult when I don't really rate Wild China anyway (I just don't like what I hear) but here a few titles that are quality releases this year (and a bit off the beaten track)

Where do you find these?!? I've never heard of any of them. shame

WILD CHINA is pretty good, but I'd also say there are quite a few scores that I've heard from this year that are better. Here's my list of 2013 scores that are better than 2008's WILD CHINA (not a list you're likely to find anywhere but Maintitles, I wager!):

Africa
    Gagarin: First in Space
    The Lone Ranger
    Epic
    Star Trek Into Darkness
    Kon Tiki
    Now You See Me
    Papa s'en va en guerre
    Blood
    Planet Ocean
  6. I'm checking out one of the scores Alan mentioned - TIERRA DE SANGRE by Patrick Kirst. I'd never heard of him before tonight. This film is apparently a Chilean film about demons. The music is very well written. There's quite a lot of variety here, as well, from the soft, prettier moments, to the grand gothic moments. I imagine some will like this score more than I, since I'm not a huge fan of "scary" music, but I still thought this score was pretty good most of the time, and quite good some of the time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2013
    NP: ONLY GOD FORGIVES (Cliff Martinez)

cool
    I am extremely serious.
  7. christopher wrote
    I'm checking out one of the scores Alan mentioned - TIERRA DE SANGRE by Patrick Kirst. I'd never heard of him before tonight. This film is apparently a Chilean film about demons. The music is very well written. There's quite a lot of variety here, as well, from the soft, prettier moments, to the grand gothic moments. I imagine some will like this score more than I, since I'm not a huge fan of "scary" music, but I still thought this score was pretty good most of the time, and quite good some of the time.

Kirst is an unknown talent to most folks around the score boards, it seems. He's a talented composer -- check out the good deal of sampels on his site, for mutiple projects. He also orchestrates, occassionally for Zigman.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2013 edited
    NP : COPPERHEAD - Laurent Eyquem

First listen.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote

First listen.

It's all very pretty but personally I'm finding this album a gloomy and tiring slog to sit through.

I'm trying to figure out why both Erik and James consider it one of this years best? Is this year really that poor so far??
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I like it a lot too, although perhaps not as much as Erik and James, especially the slowness and melodic melancholy of it. The upbeat saloon cues I could be without.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

There have been lots!

Come again? uhm wink

The only one I've heard ( and heard of ) is the Neely score and it's okay.

I listened to some clips and the only one I found of interest was Rubinrot but just listening to clips doesn't allow anyone to submerce themselves in a score.
  8. And that's where the discussion ends! I am not sure anyone is likely to invest in any of these titles. And they are probably so obscure that people's go-to download sites don't stock them.

But I still prefer them to Wild China - the clips anyway.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christopher wrote

WILD CHINA is pretty good, but I'd also say there are quite a few scores that I've heard from this year that are better. Here's my list of 2013 scores that are better than 2008's WILD CHINA (not a list you're likely to find anywhere but Maintitles, I wager!):

Africa
    Gagarin: First in Space
    The Lone Ranger
    Epic
    Star Trek Into Darkness
    Kon Tiki
    Now You See Me
    Papa s'en va en guerre
    Blood
    Planet Ocean

Nah! I wouldn't say so. Some are as good as. ( Epic, 'Papa', Kon-Tiki and Blood I've not heard. )
  9. christopher wrote
    I'm checking out one of the scores Alan mentioned - TIERRA DE SANGRE by Patrick Kirst. I'd never heard of him before tonight. This film is apparently a Chilean film about demons. The music is very well written. There's quite a lot of variety here, as well, from the soft, prettier moments, to the grand gothic moments. I imagine some will like this score more than I, since I'm not a huge fan of "scary" music, but I still thought this score was pretty good most of the time, and quite good some of the time.

I do a daily browse of digital stores for new releases and listen to lots of clips. IMO, avoiding digital downloads is passing on a lot of good music. But they would disagree because it's lossy music therefore not worth looking into.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thanks to Christopher...

NP : GAGARIN : FIRST IN SPACE - George Kallis

Very good but nowhere near as good as Benjamin Bartlett's 2001 score to WALKING WITH BEASTS.

Anyway, I quite like this score despite a pervading RC/MV sound running through it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christopher, what is "Blood" and who is it by?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Is this year really that poor so far??

Absolutely not. I think 2013 has been a really good year actually!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

First listen.

It's all very pretty but personally I'm finding this album a gloomy and tiring slog to sit through.

I'm trying to figure out why both Erik and James consider it one of this years best? Is this year really that poor so far??

Surprised! I didn't think it was the least bit gloomy. Quite chirpy I thought. I don't think it's been a particularly good year, but there are three scores I really like.
  10. Since I am not so much into current scores the ups and downs in this erea do not concern me too much. As long as they keep releasing scores like "Tinker Bell", "The Missouri Breaks" or "Django" I am well pleased.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    COPPERHEAD is a very traditional score, so you might like that one.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    SPECTACULAR WORLD OF CLASSIC FILM SCORES/GERHARDT
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  11. sdtom wrote
    SPECTACULAR WORLD OF CLASSIC FILM SCORES/GERHARDT
    Tom

Is this a "best-of" of the RCA series?

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  12. Timmer wrote
    Thanks to Christopher...

NP : GAGARIN : FIRST IN SPACE - George Kallis

Very good but nowhere near as good as Benjamin Bartlett's 2001 score to WALKING WITH BEASTS.

Anyway, I quite like this score despite a pervading RC/MV sound running through it.

I've never heard of that one. Is there a reason you're comparing the two, or is this a random comparison like WILD CHINA vs. all the scores from 2013? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    Scribe wrote
    Christopher, what is "Blood" and who is it by?

BLOOD is by Daniel Pemberton. most of it is just okay, really, but those last two tracks (well, really just the first half of the last one) are so good that they elevated the whole score for me. "The Burning" starts out really quietly and builds and builds up until the orchestra cuts out entirely for a couple seconds and then comes back in with a super-powerful theme that is certainly one of the highlights of the year for me. "The Wind out There" contains the most beautiful music I've heard from this year. The first half is achingly gorgeous. The second half is back to the way much of the rest of the score sounds, but that first half is lovely.
  13. FalkirkBairn wrote
    christopher wrote

I do a daily browse of digital stores for new releases and listen to lots of clips. IMO, avoiding digital downloads is passing on a lot of good music. But they would disagree because it's lossy music therefore not worth looking into.

Cool. I don't have a problem with download-only releases, especially if it gets music out there we would never see any other way.

One thing I forgot to mention about TIERRA DE SANGRE was that the penultimate track "Para Siempre" is fantastic!