• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2013
    Southall wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Schindler' s List? I don't hear it.

It's Mahler's 8th symphony. Both Williams and Horner stole from it. Horner more directly, Williams rewrote it slightly.

yeah

Man knows his classical.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    +1!

And, I really miss the children's choir in modern scoring...its one of my favorite devices.

I remember when choir of any kind within a film score was a treat not a bombastic necessity.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Field of Dreams - James Horner

I don't think any other composer working today can score an emotional climax like Horner can.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2013 edited
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Field of Dreams - James Horner

I don't think any other composer working today can score an emotional climax like Horner can.

So true! When it comes to feelings of loss, sadness, memories of loved ones now gone no ones music has ever quite moved me like Horner's. I remember back in 89 I was listening to Cocoon: The Return when I got a phone call from my sister to say that Grandma had just passed away. The emotion of that moment is forever fused with the music that accompanied it. All in a good, even beautiful way.
    And indeed Field Of Dreams moved me very deeply when I first saw it. Once again the score was magic!
    It's never depressing. Just bittersweet yet comforting. For that I'm very grateful for the gift Horner possess there.
  2. Danger motive or no, self plagiarism or no, James Horner is one of the very best composers out there.

I remember the first music that ever would draw me to him was the final music of "The Name of the Rose". It captures the mixture of profound emotions perfectly: a sense of loss, melancholy, relieve and wonderment about what the future will bring.

I was moved by cues from Titanic (A Building Panic) and Avatar (Learning to Fly) among many others.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The 'danger motif' is actually one of the reasons I like him -- he's got so many trademark sounds and gadgets like that. Crashing piano is another.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. NP: Masters of the Universe (1987) - Bill Conti

Classic 80s Adventure style. A symphonic fun romp performed by the Munich Symphony Orchestra.

The Missouri Breaks (1976) - John Williams

Handed in by the postman this morning. I will rip it to my PC now. First listen will follow.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The Missouri Breaks is one of my least favourite John Williams scores, I'm interested to hear what you think of it Captain?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I like that score, actually, in that down-and-dirty Americana mode for a smaller ensemble that Williams does well.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  4. Yes, I like it.
    Don't compare pre Star Wars Williams to post Star Wars Williams. He was forever changed by the Force then. spin
    Right, this is Williams in Mancini mode. But there is some very nice light hearted americana in this score. I believe that I prefer the album presentation to the score, though. Quite likable easy listening.
    The instrumentation is much like "Sugarland Express" isn't it?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I made it sound like I didn't like it which isn't true, it is true that it's one of my least favourite scores of his that I like.

Hope that makes sense. wink
  5. Is there a John Williams score you *don't* like?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Vikings - Trevor Morris

I like Trevor Morris, but I do not like this score. Although I suppose it would make good background music to such activities as having a really nasty argument.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  6. PawelStroinski wrote
    Is there a John Williams score you *don't* like?

No.
  7. Southall wrote
    Red 2 - Alan Silvestri

Oh dear.

Indeed.
  8. Krull - James Horner (LLL)

A used copy in splendid condition. Now I will find out who of you is wrong and who is right. wink

Volker
  9. Captain Future wrote
    Krull - James Horner (LLL)

A used copy in splendid condition. Now I will find out who of you is wrong and who is right. wink

Volker

It's amazing! Horner on top of his game! Some parts are like a mixture of Wrath of Khan and Willow, other parts sound amazingly like Return of the Jedi (orchestration, not melodies), especially when the male part of the Ambrosian Singers gets involved.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    The Missouri Breaks is one of my least favourite John Williams scores, I'm interested to hear what you think of it Captain?

Really?
    There's many a Williams score I do not care for (JFK, Earthquake, Towering Inferno, Nixon, Midway to name but a few), but I do like the whimsical sound of The Missouri Breaks.
    It's by no means a favourite, but it is a very decent and enjoyable 'middle tier' score to me.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2013 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Really?
    There's many a Williams score I do not care for (JFK, Earthquake, Towering Inferno, Nixon, Midway to name but a few), but I do like the whimsical sound of The Missouri Breaks.
    It's by no means a favourite, but it is a very decent and enjoyable 'middle tier' score to me.

And I later said...

Timmer wrote

I made it sound like I didn't like it which isn't true, it is true that it's one of my least favourite scores of his that I like.

Hope that makes sense. wink

p.s. I like all of those scores you mention better than Missouri Breaks, all except for MIDWAY which I've never much cared for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, I see. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Loads of 'clunkers' on Williams' resume that I don't care for at all, even though I'm probably the biggest Williams fan on the Northern hemisphere. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  10. I'm interested in every single note John Williams has ever written. When it comes to JW I'm a fanboy and that applies to no other composer.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sorry Thor but it's obvious the Captain has taken your title of Biggest Williams Fan On The Northern Hemisphere. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Sorry Thor but it's obvious the Captain has taken your title of Biggest Williams Fan On The Northern Hemisphere. wink

He wishes!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...I feel a fight coming on.

popcorn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bring it!

For Odin!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A Captain from the Future versus Thor God of Thunder.....

Should be good.

popcorn
  11. robot cylon robot cylon robot cylon robot cylon robot cylon robot cylon robot cylon

Behold my dreadful army of steel. Yell all you want, o viking, you shall be atomized!

Unless of course you care to join me for drinks of you choosing and fanboy talk with me about JW all night long until we hug and weep tears of nostalgia like real men. hug