• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: We all Love Ennio Morricone - Morricone / Various

- I Knew I loved You - Celine Dion
    - The Goog, the Bad and the Ugly - Quincy Jones / Herbie Hancock
    - Once Upon a Time in the West - Bruce Springsteen
    - The Ecstasy of Gold - Metallica
    - Je changerais d'avis (Se telefonando) - Vanessa and the O's
    - Lost Boys Calling - Roger Waters

Just my personal favourites. An outstanding album!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2013
    Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters - Andrew Lockington

Generic.
  2. Southall wrote

Generic.

Bemoaning the lack of big thematic scores and then slamming the ones that do come out as "generic"...honestly, there's no pleasing some people. slant

I'm surprised and a little disappointed at the lack of enthusiasm over Lockington from most people around these parts. He's not exactly fine art but I find his scores really enjoyable and there's some genuinely good orchestral writing in there. Honestly, everyone complains about the Zimmer generation sapping all the fun and themes out of adventure/fantasy music, and along comes a new composer writing these huge dynamic scores that are the exact antithesis of that and everyone just shrugs. confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I hate film music.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I just don't find any real personality in the music. When it's over, I can't remember anything about it. I'd definitely rather listen to it than an RC score, and I applaud the efforts to write in the style - I just don't find it that interesting, musically, compared with what people like David Arnold and Joel McNeely were doing in their attempts to write in this style a couple of decades ago.
  3. Thor wrote
    I hate film music.

Me too. vomit
  4. Southall wrote
    I just don't find any real personality in the music. When it's over, I can't remember anything about it. I'd definitely rather listen to it than an RC score, and I applaud the efforts to write in the style - I just don't find it that interesting, musically, compared with what people like David Arnold and Joel McNeely were doing in their attempts to write in this style a couple of decades ago.

I guess I can understand that, and maybe I'm just a little more forgiving of this kind of enjoyable blandness. But I do hear a personality in Lockington's music. For example, he has these busy string patterns he uses that are kind of like RC ostinatos but more nimble and dynamic. Let's not forget that this is still a pretty young composer who I think is slowly starting to find his voice, but still has a ways to go. He needs to work on his themes, for instance...he employs them well but they aren't the best or most distinctive.
  5. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Southall wrote

Generic.

Bemoaning the lack of big thematic scores and then slamming the ones that do come out as "generic"...honestly, there's no pleasing some people. slant

I'm surprised and a little disappointed at the lack of enthusiasm over Lockington from most people around these parts. He's not exactly fine art but I find his scores really enjoyable and there's some genuinely good orchestral writing in there. Honestly, everyone complains about the Zimmer generation sapping all the fun and themes out of adventure/fantasy music, and along comes a new composer writing these huge dynamic scores that are the exact antithesis of that and everyone just shrugs. confused

I'm a fan of Lockington's adventure music, I'm pretty sure my reviews show that. But I've listened (once) to Percy Jackson, and I feel dissapointed. It's not bad, but it's lacking in the thematic department. The biggest asset of Journey 2 for instance were the glorious themes weaving through one another, here Percy Jackson doesn't have that. And when I do hear snippets of brilliance, somehow Percy neglets to build further on it

still, gonna give it a couple more tries but I'm afraid this will be a missed opportunity
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Southall wrote

I guess I can understand that, and maybe I'm just a little more forgiving of this kind of enjoyable blandness. But I do hear a personality in Lockington's music. For example, he has these busy string patterns he uses that are kind of like RC ostinatos but more nimble and dynamic. Let's not forget that this is still a pretty young composer who I think is slowly starting to find his voice, but still has a ways to go. He needs to work on his themes, for instance...he employs them well but they aren't the best or most distinctive.

I honestly believe that themes are his forte, Journey 2, Journey 1, City of Ember have (for me) fantastic themes
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Southall wrote

I honestly believe that themes are his forte, Journey 2, Journey 1, City of Ember have (for me) fantastic themes

I agree on City of Ember and Journey 2, and those feel like his two most mature scores so far. The theme for Journey 1 is weak, though; it's really just a little ascending fanfare, and the structural flaws with it become apparent when Lockington tries to draw it out into extended form in "Building the Raft". That's still a great cue for the sheer scale and fun of it, but it could have been so much better if the theme itself was more long-lined and didn't feel so incomplete. He actually goes some way towards "fixing" the theme in Journey 2, giving it a more complete feel with the progressions and such.

The themes he does write, he uses well, though. He's good at sprinkling little snippets and variations throughout the action music and such. But I think Lockington's greatest strength is his energy and sense of fun, and he's got a great touch with the orchestra. I haven't heard Percy Jackson yet, by the way, so maybe I shouldn't have anything to say here. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote

yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Skyfall - Thomas Newman

Having listened to this score more times than I care to admit, I believe "Quartermaster" is one of the most brilliant pieces Newman has ever written.

Fuck me! shocked

confused confused

Well, Newman has written some absolutely brilliant music but that particular piece you mentioned is just irritating*.

The worst thing is that he'll be back for the next Bond too :shudder:

*to each our own eh? wink beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. Timmer wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Skyfall - Thomas Newman

Having listened to this score more times than I care to admit, I believe "Quartermaster" is one of the most brilliant pieces Newman has ever written.

Fuck me! shocked

confused confused

Well, Newman has written some absolutely brilliant music but that particular piece you mentioned is just irritating*.

The worst thing is that he'll be back for the next Bond too.

The Beatles put it best: Yeah, yeah, yeah! cheesy
  9. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote
    I hate film music.

Me too. vomit

As I suspected all along! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Oblivion - M83

The more I see the film the more I like this score.
  10. PERCY JACKSON: SEA OF MONSTERS - Andrew Lockington

Not bad, but not terribly memorable. I really liked his theme from JOURNEY 2, but the rest of that score was pretty forgettable to me as well. This one feels like that one, without the great theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2013
    Atham wrote

One of the great highlights this year -- even though it took a couple of listens to properly warm up. Loved the film, loved the score IN it, love it OUTSIDE!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Thor wrote
    Atham wrote

One of the great highlights this year -- even though it took a couple of listens to properly warm up. Loved the film, loved the score IN it, love it OUTSIDE!

Indeed. A very immersive experience, much like Tron Legacy!
    And the score on its own has a great feel to it.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2013 edited
    Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters - Andrew Lockington

Turned it off halfway through. I suppose it should be praised that it's not a RC knock-off but it's still incredibly generic, with no individuality and very little interest. I wouldn't call Beck's score for the first film a masterpiece but it had some pretty exciting action cues. Lockington's efforts are just boring.
  11. REMEMBER ME - Olivier Deriviere

I'm starting to warm up to this. I wasn't a big fan on my first couple times through it. The glitchy sound really through me off. Now that I'm over that I'm kind of liking this.
  12. The Shawshank Redemption - Thomas Newman

What better way to cap a night off than with a classic? cool cool
  13. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The Shawshank Redemption - Thomas Newman

Sex with a super hot woman who really wants you.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  14. justin boggan wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The Shawshank Redemption - Thomas Newman

Sex with a super hot woman who really wants you.

Vivid imagination on your part! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Yes, let's stick to attainable goals.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Yeah, aaaaaaand anyway, NP: Star Trek: Insurrection - Jerry Goldsmith

Not up there with the best Trek scores but there are many cues to enjoy in this new expanded edition.
    I like the Ba'ku theme very much but I LOVE the love theme Goldsmith wrote for this story!
    Along with the "New Sight" theme I'd say it was one of the last great themes in Jerry's cannon of glorious melodies!
  15. Just played: Pacific Rim - Ramin Djawadi

This grows on me with every listen. I am undecided whether I prefer Pacific Rim or Iron Man 3. I think they are on par.

NP: Star Wars - The Best of Space Music (Philips, 1990)
    John Williams & The Boston Pops Orchestra. Recordings from 1980 and 1983.

This CD was one of the first film music CDs I owned. It features the concert suites of the classic Star Wars Trilogy along with standards from Superman, E.T. and Close Encouters of the Third Kind. The rendition of the Star Wars Main Theme Suite is my favourite among the many recordings of that piece in my collection.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE - John Barry

Today there will be a running theme to my NP's.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : RAMBO: FIRST BLOOD PART II - Jerry Goldsmith

Excellent!
  16. NP: The Best of Francis Lai (milan, 1999) Original and re-recordings.

This composer is little talked about in these quarters. Great man! Sounds like a soul mate of Georges Delerue. Or Michel Legrand.

Volker
  17. NP: Ron Goodwin. That Magnificent Man and his Music Machine. Two Sides of Ron Goodwin (EMI, 2003)
    Disc 2: Film music

Fantastic compilation!