• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: The Time Machine - Klaus Badelt

A great easy listening experiance. I can forgive Badelt that he lifted "Stone Language" from Adiemus.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2013
    How dare that shady John Williams lift the use of a violin from Bach!
    How dare Jerry Goldsmith lift synthesizers from Vangelis! slant

......its a particular way of using female voices. That's all. I've listened to all of Adiemus' stuff and there is no "lifting" going on. Just because that particular sound is (sadly IMO) not utilized very often, does not make every use of it a "lift" of the first use you know of.

/rant

Sorry, its a sensitive subject because I love choir use like that and wish it were used more. Horner's Avatar is the only other piece of music I know of that sounds similar.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Da Vinci's Demons - Bear McCreary

So good it makes me want to watch the show...
  2. Scribe wrote

I've listened to all of Adiemus' stuff and there is no "lifting" going on.

Well, listen again. And while I'm at it: Goldsmith, and Zimmer are all over this score, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2013 edited
    So basically, all good music is somehow a "lift" unless its completely new and innovative???
    I guess John Williams "lifts" himself every time he writes action music, so screw him. Unless maybe you can forgive him, too.

I just don't think a good composer utilizing good ideas - that happen to also exist in previous works of music - in a new and fresh way is something that needs to be "forgiven"....praised rather.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Calm your tits, Matt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    If someone was saying that creating your favorite kind of music was some kind of offense that needs to be forgiven (and thus presumably no more of your favorite music should ever be made) you might be slightly frustrated too.
  3. Don't forget I said initially that the score is a great easy listening experiance. Well, maybe poor choice of words there. I meant to say it's a really good score.

Intertexuality is a given since first people made art. What I hear - or believe to hear - in this score as being influenced by Goldsmith or Zimmer falls unter intertexuality. There is (or seems to be) a general connection, nothing more.

In the case of "Stone Language" - well, that is more than a general connection. Carl Jenkins basically invented that sound and the chord progressions are quite similar to the cue "Adiemus" from the original album.

EDIT: O, and if the word "forgive" is offending you ... irony ... you know the concept?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Captain Future wrote
    Intertexuality is a given since first people made art. What I hear - or believe to hear - in this score as being influenced by Goldsmith or Zimmer falls unter intertexuality. There is (or seems to be) a general connection, nothing more.

Its perfectly natural if you think that score was temped with Goldsmith, because it almost definitely was. And of course it has many Zimmer elements since Badelt was still closely connected with Zimmer at the time.

In the case of "Stone Language" - well, that is more than a general connection. Carl Jenkins basically invented that sound and the chord progressions are quite similar to the cue "Adiemus" from the original album.

Again, that's like implying that nobody should use synths except for the person that invented synths, or that no one should use a male choir singing Latin scripts during action music since the first time that device was used...and that if they do, they have to be forgiven for lifting from whoever first used those devices. Creating a new musical device does not give you exclusive rights to using that device, or make it wrong for future artists to use the same device...on the contrary, it enriches all music when everyone can freely use all the previously created musical devices to create new music. And this is a particularly enjoyable device to me so I wish it would be used more and enhanced upon.

Besides, the song "Adiemus" and Badelt's Eloi music sound about as similar to me as Schindler's List and Bartok's Romanian Folk Dances...they have completely different melodies and express completely different emotions and one is not a lift of the other just because they both have a solo violin at the forefront. If "Adiemus" and "Eloi" were played on a piano no one would think they were similar...unless of course, they were the only 2 piano pieces in the world at that time.
  4. Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Alfred Newman - The Robe

Those who have me on Facebook know that I'm going through a bit of a Golden Age binge

Good for you, lad! thumbsup

Far and away a better play than anyone elses for at least two pages, super awesome score!

Atham wrote
    Today I played selections from Superman The Movie, The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark and E.T.
    Interesting hearing so much trumpet, an instrument that has been disposed of in just about all modern film scores! Anyway, back to the classics. Next up, Jurassic Park.

...except for Atham's post 13 hours ago biggrin wink

As you see, my musical tastes are somehow eclectic biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THAT MAN FROM RIO - Georges Delerue

Early 60's French James Bond spoof. Might have been more interesting if John Barry's style had been spoofed too. This is pretty annoying except for moments of Brazilian samba thrown in, I doubt I'm staying with this much longer.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Its perfectly natural if you think that score was temped with Goldsmith, because it almost definitely was.

Not almost. It was indeed temped with The Edge. Fact!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    You have documentation of this?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE DAY OF THE DOLPHIN - Georges Delerue

Much much better love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PLATOON - Georges Delerue

Stunningly beautiful, full of poignancy, this film did not need Samuel Barber's overused Adagio For strings.
  5. REDEMPTION - Dario Marianelli

Lots of electronics. Not much is memorable. Seems like the kind of score you'd expect for a Jason Statham film. "Joey's Career" is the best the score has to offer if you're interested in checking it out.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote

I'm sure there is documentation somewhere. It's very well known amongst score fans that THE EDGE was the temp track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Timmer wrote
    Scribe wrote

I'm sure there is documentation somewhere. It's very well known amongst score fans that THE EDGE was the temp track.

I don't think so, its just very oft repeated that because they sound similar, it must have been the temp track. I don't remember seeing any actual evidence though. Both cues are so simplistic that I don't think its inconceivable that Badelt happened to come up with something that sounded similar to what Goldsmith had already done. So it would be interesting to see actual confirmation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote

Michael Giacchino told when he was writing demos for the film. Good enough for ya?

FACT!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2013
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote

Michael Giacchino told when he was writing demos for the film. Good enough for ya?

FACT!

-Erik-

Well, we only have your word for that Erik wink
  6. Captain Future wrote
    NP: X-Men: The Last Stand - John Powell

Just handed in by the postman. First run. Man, beautiful stuff indeed!

Volker

Yeah it's cool. Little busy and over the top towards the end.
  7. Timmer wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Skyfall - Thomas Newman

Having listened to this score more times than I care to admit, I believe "Quartermaster" is one of the most brilliant pieces Newman has ever written.

Fuck me! shocked

confused confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote

FACT!

-Erik-

I believe him. I was just curious to know if it went beyond guessing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote

FACT!

-Erik-

I believe him. I was just curious to know if it went beyond guessing.

Even if you didn't know that it was a fact it's pretty darn obvious.

-Erik-
  8. NOW YOU SEE ME - Brian Tyler.

This is a cool little score. There are only six tracks on it composed by Tyler - the rest are songs or remixes of something Tyler wrote for the film, but I far prefer Tyler's tracks to the remixes. While it doesn't have as strong a thematic identity as Iron Man 3, the Tyler portions of this score are more consistently enjoyable for me than IM3.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    christopher wrote
    NOW YOU SEE ME - Brian Tyler.

This is a cool little score. There are only six tracks on it composed by Tyler - the rest are songs or remixes of something Tyler wrote for the film, but I far prefer Tyler's tracks to the remixes. While it doesn't have as strong a thematic identity as Iron Man 3, the Tyler portions of this score are more consistently enjoyable for me than IM3.

This is true. Though it's a much more derivative score than IM3.
  9. Catch Me If You Can - John Williams

It's pretty impressive how Williams can add gravitas to what's an overall breezy movie.
  10. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Volker

That's exactly what makes it so cool. punk
  11. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Volker

That's exactly what makes it so cool. punk

yeah
  12. NP: Pompei (RAI, 2007) - Marco Frisina

This is an incredibly beautiful orchestral score for an Italian TV production. Frisina is one of these European composers of whom I whished they would take over Hollywood.