• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2013
    Timmer wrote
    I'm listening to BBC Radio 2

George Fenton is being interviewed by Dermot O'Leary very soon for anyone interested.

Quite a good interview and he was on for at least a half hour. Two things I learned was that he only lives around the corner from the Radio 2 studio and came in wearing a Hoodie. He also talked about the theme to Bergerac and said he was stunned when one of his idols came to the session, no less than Stevie Wonder.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

George Fenton is being interviewed by Dermot O'Leary very soon for anyone interested.

Quite a good interview and he was on for at least a half hour. Two things I learned was that he only lives around the corner from the Radio 2 studio and came in wearing a Hoodie. He also talked about the theme to Bergerac and said he was stunned when one of his idols came to the session, no less than Stevie Wonder.

Was there any particular reason for the interview? (I missed it.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

Was there any particular reason for the interview? (I missed it.)

Something about the fact they'd played the theme to Bergerac a few weeks ago and discussed what a great theme it is but didn't know who wrote it, found out it was multi-award winning Oscar nominated composer. They were going to phone him for an interview but found out he lived walking distance and George Fenton agreed to come into the studio.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Cripes, I didn't know Fenton had written the BERGERAC theme. I used to watch that show a lot as a kid, as it was shown on the socalled "Detektimen" ("Detec Hour") every Friday for a period of time....back in the 80's when we only had ONE TV channel.

Many Norwegians (especially my age) have a nostalgic connection to that show.

It's amazing that I didn't know Fenton had written the theme! dizzy
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Just finished my first listen of Simon Leclerc's LE JOUR DES CORNEILLES. Pretty good. I hadn't heard anything about this score until Jon mentioned it in a list of European film scores that were unrepresented on just about everyone's best of 2012 lists. The end titles piece was a good representation of some of the best moments in the score.

On to Bruno Coulais's LES ADIEUX A LA REINE.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2013 edited
    Thor wrote
    Cripes, I didn't know Fenton had written the BERGERAC theme. I used to watch that show a lot as a kid, as it was shown on the socalled "Detektimen" ("Detec Hour") every Friday for a period of time....back in the 80's when we only had ONE TV channel.

Did you ever get SHOESTRING with Trevor Eve? That was one of his earliest TV themes.

Good theme it is too... SHOESTRING
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Did you ever get SHOESTRING with Trevor Eve? That was one of his earliest TV themes.

Good theme it is too... SHOESTRING

Afraid not. But nice theme somewhat in the same category (although not quite as moody and smooth as Fenton's BERGERAC).
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Alexandre Desplat - The Ghost Writer

I saw the great movie recently and loved the score (which I knew and liked earlier) in it, so... I bought it. Amazing and very intelligent scores that belong to the guy's top 10 efforts in my opinion.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2013
    christopher wrote
    Just finished my first listen of Simon Leclerc's LE JOUR DES CORNEILLES. Pretty good. I hadn't heard anything about this score until Jon mentioned it in a list of European film scores that were unrepresented on just about everyone's best of 2012 lists. The end titles piece was a good representation of some of the best moments in the score.

Never heard of those nor its movies! spin dizzy shame
    Kazoo
  3. Bregt wrote
    christopher wrote
    Just finished my first listen of Simon Leclerc's LE JOUR DES CORNEILLES. Pretty good. I hadn't heard anything about this score until Jon mentioned it in a list of European film scores that were unrepresented on just about everyone's best of 2012 lists. The end titles piece was a good representation of some of the best moments in the score.

Never heard of those nor its movies! spin dizzy shame

I recommend the Leclerc, but I did not enjoy the Coulais. It was dull or irritating throughout, imo. The other one that Jon recommended that spotify had was LE MAGASIN DES SUICIDES by Etienne Perruchon. It is apparently an animated musical. There are lots of odd French songs I didn't enjoy surrounded by bitty instrumental tracks, most of which don't last longer than a minute. I don't recommend it either.

There are a few 2012 scores I haven't heard that I really wanted to. Rombi's latest, DANS LA MAISON, Malo's MIEL DE NARANJAS, and a couple of Naoki Sato's scores. It's hard to find a Sato score for less than $30, which is a lot to pay for one disc. I'll get around to the Rombi and Malo scores eventually.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Rombi's latest is not your typical pretty Rombi score, it actually sounds very much like a Iglesias suspense score, but the quality of the writing is superb as usual so its very enjoyable.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Black Rain - Hans Zimmer

I don't like this at all.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Black Rain - Hans Zimmer

I liked the film but I don't remember the score at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's quite awful, i am with you.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ANGEL ILLARAMANDI - Baztan (2012)

Deleruesque, string driven and gorgeous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Black Rain - Hans Zimmer

I liked the film but I don't remember the score at all.

I have watched the film many times but never noticed the music in it so was always surprised to hear how apparently influential the score was. Listening to the recent extended album has been my first time hearing the music outside the film and I think it's awful. I'm still not sure what it is supposed to have influenced. Surely Backdraft is the Zimmer score that changed everything, not this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BEAR McCREARY - Moonbreakers, 2012.

Why only sampled instruments, why? sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    I'm still not sure what it is supposed to have influenced. Surely Backdraft is the Zimmer score that changed everything, not this.

Wise words. I don't understand either. It's awful and i don't hear it anywhere else since. Backdraft on the other hand...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BLACK RAIN is absolutely superb....top shelf Zimmer!

However, after having acquired the expanded edition just for laughs and giggles, the original suite selection definitely covers the worthwhile bits. Maybe something inbetween the original album and the expansion would have sufficed.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    whut?

Blake Neely - Arrow (2012)

Why do people rave about this, again?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Black Rain - Hans Zimmer

What would you know? I bet you haven't even met Hans Zimmer. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BRUNO COULAIS - Sur la piste du Marsupilami

Hehe, this man's crazy! Odd, quirky and fabulous at the same time!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    THE LORD OF THE RINGS ONLINE - RIDERS OF ROHAN - Chance Thomas

Wow, this is amazing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christian Henson - Hysteria

Unlike his Grabbers odd score from this year that i didn't particularly like, this sweet and romantic piano driven orchestral score is a little gem!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Black Rain - Hans Zimmer

What would you know? I bet you haven't even met Hans Zimmer. rolleyes

Has anybody?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Certainly not on this forum, no.
  4. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DAVID GARCIA DIAZ - deadlight

Awesome horror score!
  5. Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote
    I'm still not sure what it is supposed to have influenced. Surely Backdraft is the Zimmer score that changed everything, not this.

Wise words. I don't understand either. It's awful and i don't hear it anywhere else since. Backdraft on the other hand...

Demetris, which early score of Hans' do you like? I don't like most of them and yet I really like Black Rain.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Only The House of the Spirits and Regarding Henry besides Backdraft.