• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. SpaceCamp by John Williams (Intrada)

John Williams in SciFi mode, teaming up with Herbert Spencer and Kenneth Wannberg, shortly after "Jedi"?

Well I couldn't resist any longer and payed 40€ for a new copy. We are all a bit crazy from time to time, arn't we?

I'm on cloud no. seven now!

Cheers!
    Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2013 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    SpaceCamp by John Williams (Intrada)

John Williams in SciFi mode, teaming up with Herbert Spencer and Kenneth Wannberg, shortly after "Jedi"?

Actually, this is Williams in adventure mode! BTW, Spacecamp was written in 1986, Jedi in 1983. In between that Williams wrote The River, Temple of Doom, various concert pieces and two episodes of Amazing Stories.

Anywho, Spacecamp is superb!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2013
    Except for a track or two, I never cared much for SPACECAMP. Williams on autopilot. There's the trademark TECHNIQUE there, but not much to latch on to in terms of melody or depth.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I knew you were just around the corner, Thor, ready to pounce. Don't listen to him, Captain, this is far from Williams being on autopilot. There's two or three superb melodies (brilliantly fleshed out in the "Spacecamp" track) and some grand, epic, adventure music that stands along side with some of the best stuff he's done. Great album!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Except for a track or two, I never cared much for SPACECAMP. Williams on autopilot. There's the trademark TECHNIQUE there, but not much to latch on to in terms of melody or depth.

I agree with Thor but Volker will make his own mind up.

NP : GHOST STORY - Philippe Sarde

I love this score, a good old fashioned traditionally scary score, likewise the film which I feel is very underrated.

p.s. and is Alice Krige ( probably better known to most here as Star Trek's Borg Queen ) sexy in the film or what. love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    SpaceCamp by John Williams (Intrada)

Actually, this is Williams in adventure mode! BTW, Spacecamp was written in 1986, Jedi in 1983. In between that Williams wrote The River, Temple of Doom, various concert pieces and two episodes of Amazing Stories.

Anywho, Spacecamp is superb!

-Erik-

And you are in picky mode. biggrin But you are right of course.

Thor, I actually found that second track a bit irritating. Other than that - as Erik said: It's a superb adventure score.
    Should I compare it to, say Goldsmith's "Explorers", I would prefer William's score. Because of more depth here.

Cheers!
    Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor, I actually found that second track a bit irritating. Other than that - as Erik said: It's a superb adventure score.
    Should I compare it to, say Goldsmith's "Explorers", I would prefer William's score. Because of more depth here.

Cheers!
    Volker

Yeah, the montage cues sucks!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Hansel & Gretel - Atli Örvarsson

I presume that Atli got this score based on his work on Season Of The Witch, even though the results isn't all that similar, which isn't a bad thing, mind you. The score is full of action, though without any apparent, recognizable recurring thematic materials to based from. It's a brisk album, though I think it could be cut down a bit in order to tighten up the action pieces.
    I'm not sure if I really like Atli's scoring style. It's heavily electronic coated, more than Henry Jackman, with an emphasis on distortion and grunge. Not a bad thing, per se, but I care less for it. Additionally, I dislike how he uses the the "orchestra" as part of the percussion. People used to accuse Hans of doing this, but it's not the same. How Atli approach this make it feel very blunt and kinda cheap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Cheers!
    Volker

-Erik-

Actually, the training montage cue is one of the few highlights of the album, IMO. Cheesy fun!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Parade of the Athletes David Arnold

Although my favourite score from last year is Skyfall, this has got to be my favourite theme from last year. I think it's bloody fantastic. When's the next Arnold score for God's sake!?
  3. lp wrote

I presume that Atli got this score based on his work on Season Of The Witch, even though the results isn't all that similar, which isn't a bad thing, mind you. The score is full of action, though without any apparent, recognizable recurring thematic materials to based from. It's a brisk album, though I think it could be cut down a bit in order to tighten up the action pieces.
    I'm not sure if I really like Atli's scoring style. It's heavily electronic coated, more than Henry Jackman, with an emphasis on distortion and grunge. Not a bad thing, per se, but I care less for it. Additionally, I dislike how he uses the the "orchestra" as part of the percussion. People used to accuse Hans of doing this, but it's not the same. How Atli approach this make it feel very blunt and kinda cheap.

Listening through the clips of the digital release of this was quite enough for me. It sounded to me.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Cheers!
    Volker

-Erik-

Actually, the training montage cue is one of the few highlights of the album, IMO. Cheesy fun!

Saw that one coming from a mile away as well.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's great to be predictable! Means we all know each other very well. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I don't care for religion much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    lp wrote

Listening through the clips of the digital release of this was quite enough for me. It sounded to me.

Pathetic score. I've heard few worse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I tried to listened to it the other day. Although I don't discredit the ability it requires to actually produce something like this, it's rubbish. It's a score I'd firmly place in the "What's Wrong With Today's Film Music" category. (With a name as foreign sounding as his, I was rather expecting something more. Does that make me a racist?)
  4. Steven wrote
    I don't care for religion much.

I'm incredulous.
    On a message board.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Where's your proof?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Parker - David Buckley

I suppose it's not quite as bad as Hansel & Gretel. (A bit like saying a dictator-du-jour is not quite as bad as Stalin.)
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    lp wrote

Place "awful" in my previous comment.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    lp wrote

My own capsule review: http://www.movie-wave.net/?p=3254
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Where's your proof?

It's rather minimalist at best.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. Kenji Kawai - Mezane no Hakobune

A beautiful electronic/choral score with some strings thrown for good measure. Emotional, atmospheric, thematic. I still prefer his Ghost in the Shell to this (I regard that one as masterpiece, both as a movie and as a film), but it's very much a beautiful work not to be overlooked. A very short album chockful of emotions, harmony and melody.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Southall wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    lp wrote

My own capsule review: http://www.movie-wave.net/?p=3254

Minus the harsh words, the negative impression is on par with my opinion regarding this score. Henry Jackman's work on Abraham Lincoln - Vampire Hunter is better in comparison, mostly due to the fact that it is thematically stronger.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Starcraft II : Wings of Liberty - Glenn Stafford, Derek Duke & Jason Hayes

This score is the closest that the game score genre ever came to having a Yoko Kanno-style production. I must say that I enjoyed this score a lot due to its mish-mash quality.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Super 8 - Michael Giacchino

Nice. I'm not a big fan of a lot of Giacchino's themes (aside from the ones in John Carter) but the ones here hvae been growing on me. Terrific action material too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2013
    NP: Sinfonia per baaria" from Baaria by Morricone.

I've decided to do a investigative documentary that will reveal Morricone's hidden off-planet ancestry.

Because his work is simply too transcendent to be natural in origin... smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  7. Scribe wrote
    NP: Sinfonia per baaria" from Baaria by Morricone.

I've decided to do a investigative documentary that will reveal Morricone's hidden off-planet ancestry.

Because his work is simply too transcendent to be natural in origin... smile

Yeah. His work here is probably a "Mission from Mars".
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    Doing a Mark Snow X-files vol 1 marathon. Onto track 28 of CD 1 punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm listening to BBC Radio 2

George Fenton is being interviewed by Dermot O'Leary very soon for anyone interested.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt