• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Well, while there is certainly truth to that, which also gives the director's of the films their own voice and signature in their films, you also have to realise that there's more studio involvement in creating these animations than with normal live actio films. While a regular director goes off on location to do his thing, and often shows his product to the studio while it's done and THEN defend his choices, animation is produced mostly within the same studio, the same building, with the creative CEO of Disney (Lasseter, currently) keeping an eye on proceedings and having regular meetings. This is what gives these films a certain continuity on specific aspects and identifies it as a Disney product (easily to separate from, say, a DreamWorks Animation film) as opposed to with live action (where you can't tell from the product what studio it created).

Still, I think you should separate the animation studio's from television, from theme parks, from... etc. They're different divisions with creative teams that don't or rarely mingle and mix, with their own target audiences, etc.

I agree with that, which is why one should be careful with sweeping generalizations. If you boil Disney down to Hannah Montana or the fact that they're reluctant to release soundtracks or whatever, then one really misses out.

Or to political arguments. So a director is disallowed to make a personal statement with a movie, because it's Disney? If Justin hates "left-wing propaganda" (I assume then that "right-wing propaganda" is very much OK, interesting), then if I were him I wouldn't have watched any movie since the last...

50 years?! Except John Milius maybe...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote
    Some of the best film experiences in my life have been by Disney.

This from a man who doesn't like talking animals in movies! Ha! (spanish inquisition delivery of 'ha') wink

I do when they're animated! smile

I hate to say it, but most talking animals in film involve some kind of animation.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. applause
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2012
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote
    Some of the best film experiences in my life have been by Disney.

This from a man who doesn't like talking animals in movies! Ha! (spanish inquisition delivery of 'ha') wink

I do when they're animated! smile

I hate to say it, but most talking animals in film involve some kind of animation.

Your face is animated! tongue
    I am extremely serious.
  4. It is right now. biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2012
    applause

Well, all we can say that there is no better Robin Hood film then the one Disney made 40 years ago. I have never heard a more catchy whistle tune then the one from this movie!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2013
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2013 edited
    Oh no!

However this means Giacchino might be composer. Which is good!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    And in comes Michael Giacchino, assuming John Williams isn't willing (and if Abrams even bothers to ask him).
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    If it's true, it's not exactly a bad thing. Far from it. wink
  5. sleep
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2013
    I'd like to see it officially confirmed, but if it's true, I think they could have done a lot worse. I still hope that Kathleen Kennedy can convince John Williams to do the music, it just isn't Star Wars without him... Although I would love to hear Giacchino's take on a Star Wars score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Oh no!

However this means Giacchino might be composer. Which is good!

I'm kinda the opposite. I like the choice of director, but dread the composer. Then again -- despite my misgivings about Giacchino -- he DID manage to channel Williams pretty well in those ol' MEDAL OF HONOR thingies, so maybe it won't turn out too bad.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. FalkirkBairn wrote
    sleep

Seconded.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    I'm kinda the opposite. I like the choice of director, but dread the composer. Then again -- despite my misgivings about Giacchino -- he DID manage to channel Williams pretty well in those ol' MEDAL OF HONOR thingies, so maybe it won't turn out too bad.

That was a long time ago, when Giacchino was still trying to find his voice. I wouldn't expect this to sound much different from John Carter (which is great because that score kicks ass).
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
  7. Maybe there will be an Aliens vs Predator-type film if Abrams & Giacchino are onboard with Star Wars and Star Trek?

John Williams' music IS a Star Wars movie in my book.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    francis wrote
    Bring him back! wink

He's dead.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2013 edited
    Thor wrote
    francis wrote
    Bring him back! wink

He's dead.

There must be more of his species biggrin

I'm thinking sidekick, chewbacca and jar jar were far too PC. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    francis wrote
    Thor wrote
    francis wrote
    Bring him back! wink

He's dead.

There must be more of his species biggrin

I'm thinking sidekick, chewbacca and jar jar were far too PC. wink

Yeah, they explored some of that in the rather poor CLONE WARS movie -- a female Jabba and all that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    I've yet to see the Clone Wars & other animated/cartoon stuff based on the later trilogy, though I did enjoy the PS3 games which captured the galaxy of Star Wars rather well. I'm still disappointed the original trilogy is nowhere to be found on HD in their original cuts (only lousy laserdisc transfers), I didn't care much for the special edition makeovers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2013 edited
    There're not just the laserdisc transfers of the theatrical cuts, there's also the remastered DVD version.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2013
    I doubt I know Star Wars well enough to point out a single one of Lucas' changes, but it still bugs me to no end that every time I watch a film there's something that wasn't in the original.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2013 edited
    Doesn't really bother me as long it's seamlessly integrated. I like the original trilogy "brush-ups" that they did in the 90's.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2013
    Well to me those brush-ups look outdated by today's standards and feel out of place with the rest of the movie. The whole philosophy behind the special editions is pump as much useless special effects into each shot as to keep the kiddies in awe. That was basically what ruined the phantom-clone-revenge movies for me.

But for all the crap Lucas has put the star wars label on, I can't understand why it is forbidden to see the unaltered original trilogy in all its glory in high definition, as DVD for one of the most recognized trilogies in cinema history just ain't cutting it I'm sorry.

Ah well, I'm glad they left the Indiana Jones movies alone!
  8. I see that Disney have confirmed Abrams' involvement with the upcoming Star Wars film:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21214040
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2013
    Harrison Ford

http://screencrush.com/harrison-ford-st … my-kimmel/
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt

9. biggrin

Haven't seen Ford act that good in quite a while.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.