• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2012
    http://www.howtobeadad.com/2012/13416/d … film-title
    biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Personally, I wish Terrence Malick directed it. Just imagine a voiceover by R2-D2!

What voice is this that speaks within my circuits... guides me towards the dark side? What is this strange new update of my software? Speaking to me of loyalty... obedience to my master... Is this thing love? Devotion? What is my purpose? Why am I continuously at fault?

biggrin awesome!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    That should beat the notion that he's in it for more money than he knows what to do with. I hope the money doesn't disappear into bureaucracy middle management fees.

Maybe he has so much that he doesn't know what to do with it wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris

I like how people only remember the good ol' classic Disney and tend to forget how horribly disgraceful and crappy has been for the most part during the last 10+ years.
  1. Not sure, some of my favourite Disney movies are the recent ones, like Mulan and Lilo and Stitch.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2012
    Demetris wrote

I like how people only remember the good ol' classic Disney and tend to forget how horribly disgraceful and crappy has been for the most part during the last 10+ years.

Finding Nemo, Toy Story and Pirates of the Caribbean are "good ol' classic Disney"? confused

Tarzan is more disgraceful than The Sword in the Stone? Bolt is crappier than Black Cauldron?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    I just wonder how many adults re-watch those old and new Disney when judging the "crappy modern Disney" in general.

Though I have no problem with people saying "I feel more nostalgic for old Disney than new ones". That's a fact for them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    I have to correct my comment above. Tarzan is indeed more disgraceful than Sword in the Stone because the main character is almost naked.
  2. applause
  3. That's nothing -- Ariel doesn't even wear pants for half of "The Little Mermaid".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    But she wears shells, that's enough to get a G-rating.
  4. In fact, there's a history of Disney ducks not wearing pants.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    yeah, the reason is: http://scienceblogs.com/notrocketscienc … l-battles/
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Jonas Brotherls
    Hanna Crapanna
    And more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Ah ok, you can put a movie studio and a distributor and a television production and a record company and theme park etc. into one word "Disney". dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, they are the same company.
  5. So is The Avengers for example.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Which is, what, a new masterpiece ?
  6. Well, from what I've read about it, it's nowhere close to Hannah Montana at least...

BTW, I might shock you, but technically speaking e.g. The Rock and Crimson Tide were also Disney. They own a lot of stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    What's up with the Disney hate?

Some of the best film experiences in my life have been by Disney.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    Which is, what, a new masterpiece ?

Only sith lord deal in absolutes...

Fuck I just quoted one of the prequels.
  7. Walt Disney stood for certain morals and principles, the new owners of Disney, well ... a radio show host I think put it best (paraphrasing here): They make great stuff, it's really entertaining, but could I trust letting my kid plop down and just watch any of it without a little supervision? No.

I don't like the more "adult" themes new owners have shoved in, I don't like the way they dress and role model people like Hanna Montana and another young lady I can't recall the name of (for example).

Or the left-wing political agenda brainwashing that was shoved into at least three Pixar films. And that they donated to the semi Dictator-in-Cheif's campaign again.

It's great they've opened their music vaults, it's great they continually allow the music to be licensed, and even better with "The Black Cauldron" released by Intrada, it appears that they might actually be allowing third parties to licensed the animated film scores (as Roger had said sometime back they were not).

Now, do I plan on seeing another Pixar film? No. Do I plan on buying another Disney anything? No. Will I ever go to any Disney theme park? No. I cannot change the minds of those in charge that do this, but I can, however, vote with my wallet and hold to certain mores and truths. One day they may change hands. One day a competitor may give them a serious run for their money. But I don't have to be a part of the things I know to be wrong.

Good enough, Thor?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2012 edited
    Not really, no. I'm sorry to say that I couldn't really make heads and tails of that rant. I got the feeling that you had somewhat of a 'chip on your shoulder' on this one. But if it works for you, fine.

While my interest in animated Disney movies has waned over the last 15 years or so (for obvious reasons....getting older and all that), I have a very strong relationship to everything up to the 90's. Not only movies, but comic books and classic cartoons. Heck, I even wrote my high school dissertation on Disney.

I've also seen and enjoyed many of the films in the 2000's, especially the Pixar stuff. At least much of it....not everything has been top shelf.

As far as live action movies are concerned (produced by Disney), there have been hits and misses there too. But one should be careful to credit TOO much to the company producing the films. It has just as much to do with the actual creative team involved.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2012
    Thor wrote
    ...But one should be careful to credit TOO much to the company producing the films. It has just as much to do with the actual creative team involved.

Yeah I always wonder why people tend to skip thinking about people who actually MAKING those "Disney" products. They talk as if the intentions of "the big bad company" can directly create films (or TV shows or whatever).

Between the company and the products, there are a bunch of people who just loves drawing and making stories. Just like other entertainment companies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2012 edited
    Well, while there is certainly truth to that, which also gives the director's of the films their own voice and signature in their films, you also have to realise that there's more studio involvement in creating these animations than with normal live actio films. While a regular director goes off on location to do his thing, and often shows his product to the studio while it's done and THEN defend his choices, animation is produced mostly within the same studio, the same building, with the creative CEO of Disney (Lasseter, currently) keeping an eye on proceedings and having regular meetings. This is what gives these films a certain continuity on specific aspects and identifies it as a Disney product (easily to separate from, say, a DreamWorks Animation film) as opposed to with live action (where you can't tell from the product what studio it created).

Still, I think you should separate the animation studio's from television, from theme parks, from... etc. They're different divisions with creative teams that don't or rarely mingle and mix, with their own target audiences, etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BobdH wrote
    Well, while there is certainly truth to that, which also gives the director's of the films their own voice and signature in their films, you also have to realise that there's more studio involvement in creating these animations than with normal live actio films. While a regular director goes off on location to do his thing, and often shows his product to the studio while it's done and THEN defend his choices, animation is produced mostly within the same studio, the same building, with the creative CEO of Disney (Lasseter, currently) keeping an eye on proceedings and having regular meetings. This is what gives these films a certain continuity on specific aspects and identifies it as a Disney product (easily to separate from, say, a DreamWorks Animation film) as opposed to with live action (where you can't tell from the product what studio it created).

Still, I think you should separate the animation studio's from television, from theme parks, from... etc. They're different divisions with creative teams that don't or rarely mingle and mix, with their own target audiences, etc.

I agree with that, which is why one should be careful with sweeping generalizations. If you boil Disney down to Hannah Montana or the fact that they're reluctant to release soundtracks or whatever, then one really misses out.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Thor wrote

This from a man who doesn't like talking animals in movies! Ha! (spanish inquisition delivery of 'ha') wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2012 edited
    Thor, I am not boiling them down to Montana but yeah, Disney IS that too; so it all depends (for the new movies they announced) what their target audience will be. Don't forget that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote

This from a man who doesn't like talking animals in movies! Ha! (spanish inquisition delivery of 'ha') wink

I do when they're animated! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Demetris wrote
    Thor, I am not boiling them down to Montana but yeah, Disney IS that too; so it all depends (for the new movies they announced) what their target audience will be. Don't forget that.

But Disney doesn't mean only G, PG or PG-13 movies. They *have* distributed quite a fair amount of R-rated project through their sister companies (namely Touchstone, from my memory).