• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2012
    Good scores though they are, they don't quite quench the thirst for action that something like Skyfall does (nor, like those scores do, does Skyfall satisfy the need for something a little more emotional). I really hope he scores more action films!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2012 edited
    NP: Total Recall - Harry Gregson-Williams

It's Unstoppable, with a dollop of Dubstep mixed in. It does get a bit incoherent in places, but it's not terrible either. It gets better half way through the album. There's a rhythmic passage with melody in the second track, The Fall, and a few later cues (Customs, for example) that should have been worked on a bit more. Or the ponderous The Key cue with the a nice guitar/piano passage. And there's a couple of motifs here and there that should have been developed a bit further as well.

The whole thing feels a bit inconsequential and non-descript as a result, which is quite a shame, since Harry demonstrate again that he can write propulsive cues that gets you going. But without those obvious "bigger" theme/melodies to tie them all together...... I hope it'll fair better in the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Interestingly enough one of Newman's best action cues comes from one of his earliest comedy scores, THE GREAT OUTDOORS!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Cool, that sounds like early James Horner.
  2. Steven wrote
    Good scores though they are, they don't quite quench the thirst for action that something like Skyfall does (nor, like those scores do, does Skyfall satisfy the need for something a little more emotional). I really hope he scores more action films!

Indeed. I find LITTLE CHILDREN, THE GOOD GERMAN and ANGELS IN AMERICA particularly deficient in quenching that thirst for action. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Angels in America and The Good German, two of his best scores, have pockets of action here and there ("Black Angel" from the former is especially intense).
  4. Um.
  5. Were you being sarcastic?
  6. franz_conrad wrote
    Um.

Um, or Ummion, is a heavy element with no positives and no bonds. It usually just falls flat.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  7. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Were you being sarcastic?

I don't normally put a smiley in to clarify that I am and did this time, so I can how it might have confused.
  8. NP: Final Destination 5 - Brian Tyler

On a personal note, it's a shame that Tyler didn't use Shirley Walker's original theme more - if he uses it at all - in this score. It would add immensely to the interest.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Final Destination 5 - Brian Tyler

On a personal note, it's a shame that Tyler didn't use Shirley Walker's original theme more - if he uses it at all - in this score. It would add immensely to the interest.

But the score is kick ass anyway wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  9. It is very enjoyable - I always enjoy Tyler when he's in this mood. But I love Walker's theme for the original Final Destination and it would be great to hear it feature here like it did in an earlier Tyler-scored film from this franchise.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  10. NP: Cosmopolis (Howard Shore & Metric)

The funny thing is: I hate the film. Really, I do. But it is the best score I've heard this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Cosmopolis (Howard Shore & Metric)

The funny thing is: I hate the film. Really, I do. But it is the best score I've heard this year.

The film is ridiculous but the score is equally bad imo, best score of the year? Boy you're alone on this one smile
  11. No, he's not smile

I know quite a lot of people thinking the same and also it's somewhere in my top 5 of the year.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  12. Demetris wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

The film is ridiculous but the score is equally bad imo, best score of the year? Boy you're alone on this one smile

There's an old quote from Walter Murch about how the Best Editor award shouldn't go to someone who edits a typical Oscar film, it should go to someone who turned the most unreleasable project into something even watchable. Maybe it works the same for film music -- the best is the one that makes the worst film less bad.

But I do sort of agree it's a better album than it is a film score. But since that's mostly what the IFMCA votes for (music people like), I half expect to see it among the nominees. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote

Interesting. I haven't seen the film, but since you hate it, I should love it! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Compliance - Heather McIntosh

It sounds a lot like an Iglesias score. Which is alright with me! smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2012 edited
    JL : SKYFALL - Thomas Newman

Hmmmm? Granted it was my first listen but there was nothing that hooked me. Like lp I'm seriously underwhelmed, at least on first listen. I'll come back and give some more detailed thoughts once I've given it more attention.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  13. Timmer wrote
    JL : SKYFALL - Thomas Newman

Hmmmm? Granted it was my first listen but there was nothing that hooked me. Like lp I'm seriously underwhelmed, at least on first listen. I'll come back and give some more detailed thoughts once I've given it more attention.

I wasn't hooked after the first listen too, the second and third were much better for me smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I didn't much like David Arnold's scores when I first heard them ( my view of Arnold's bond scores is very different now, each have their merits IMO ) but even on first listen there were parts of Arnold's scores that made my ears sit up and take notice, I didn't get that with Newman's score. Still, I haven't given up yet.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  14. Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Interesting. I haven't seen the film, but since you hate it, I should love it! wink

Not if extensive -- and I mean REALLY REALLY extensive -- dialogue is something you don't like about American cinema. wink

But I do think you'd like the dreamy electric guitar led score. Elliot Goldenthal's HEAT and Howard shore's previous CRASH come to mind. (Even to some extent the ambient opening track of Mark Isham's CRASH.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    There's an old quote from Walter Murch about how the Best Editor award shouldn't go to someone who edits a typical Oscar film, it should go to someone who turned the most unreleasable project into something even watchable.

There is much sense in this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    franz_conrad wrote

There's a lot of depth to it. The intertwining of score and song works quite well I think, and it stands up well to repeated listening.

I should add that I have not seen the film, but have read the moderately obnoxious book on which it is based. smile
  15. The film captures that moderate obnoxiousness to a tee, upping the ante a bit. wink

Southall wrote

It does suggest a totally different idea of film awards, doesn't it? One where THE HOURS, DADDY DAYCARE and BEASTMASTER 2 slug it out as equals.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2012
    franz_conrad wrote
    The film captures that moderate obnoxiousness to a tee, upping the ante a bit. wink

Southall wrote

It does suggest a totally different idea of film awards, doesn't it? One where THE HOURS, DADDY DAYCARE and BEASTMASTER 2 slug it out as equals.

It would ensure my viewing of the Oscars and the like again.
  16. CLOUD ATLAS - Tykwer and those other two guys.

Fist listen. I'm a little more than halfway through it now. I love that theme most often heard on the piano, but at this point in the album I've only heard it on the first track and now on "All Boundaries are Conventions", which I'm really loving. Apart from that theme I've been disappointed by this album so far. I think this score is a HUGE missed opportunity. You've got a film that is basically six films in one - all of differing genres. You have a 1800's sea-faring historical, a 1930's musically significant historical, a 1970s era thriller, a comedy, a dystopian sci-fi, and a post apocalyptic. What if they had scored each segment with as much variation as there is in each of those genres? It's okay that that wasn't their vision, but I think it's too bad a composer with some really serious chops wasn't brought in to give each segment it's own identity with the sextet being used to tie it all together. Instead there's this nice theme that pops up a couple times and then a bunch of tracks that don't do much (for me). Oh well. I'll enjoy parts of this, anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2012
    Skyfall, Thomas Newman

Excellent!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2012 edited
    NP : STAR WARS: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK - John Williams

A Disney classic.