• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2012
    I am not going over the synth farts on purpose my friend. They are very loud and very awful and distract me from actually enjoying it any of the orchestral notes buried all that mess. I wish i could get over Goldsmith synth farts whenever they lie in his scores (didn't someone ever say to him: STOP!) but i simply cannot.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    n.p. GEORGE FENTON - Stage Beauty

It's been a while since i visited this. Completely orchestral, lush and pleasantly "old-fashioned". Another composer i would like to see composing more.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    I am not going over the synth farts on purpose my friend. They are very loud and very awful and distract me from actually enjoying it any of the orchestral notes buried all that mess. I wish i could get over Goldsmith synth farts whenever they lie in his scores (didn't someone ever say to him: STOP!) but i simply cannot.

I never remember anyone complaining back in the day ( as in when the score was released ), is this a retrospective critique I wonder? Having said that I do remember being annoyed by the synths in the track The Unicorns even back then, one of JG's most sublimely beautiful choral tracks ruined by those 'blurping' synths at the end of the big choral build up. On the whole I think the synth work in this score works fine.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    I wish i could get over Goldsmith synth farts whenever they lie in his scores (didn't someone ever say to him: STOP!) but i simply cannot.

I wish they had said the same to Horner when writing Spider-Man.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh come on, they're not even close. I don't hear any synth farts in Spiderman. Orchestra is everywhere, the rest is standard Hornerisms and in much, much milder way than some of his older scores, imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Horner's electronics clash with the orchestra creating a disjointed and messy sound.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I thought they were pretty subtle...at least they are not really discernible unless you're looking for them.

n.p. ZBIGNIEW PREISNER - Secret Garden & Trois Couleurs: Rouge

Bliss.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : A HISTORY OF SCOTLAND - Paul Leonard Morgan

Very good music, quality scoring for BBC TV series. I wish there could be a CD release of COAST ( which also contains tracks by Morgan ) but I suspect it may be a minefield of rights concerning the use of varied music and composers.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote

I never remember anyone complaining back in the day ( as in when the score was released ), is this a retrospective critique I wonder? Having said that I do remember being annoyed by the synths in the track The Unicorns even back then, one of JG's most sublimely beautiful choral tracks ruined by those 'blurping' synths at the end of the big choral build up. On the whole I think the synth work in this score works fine.

I have had the same reaction at those synths and everytime I listen to Legend it results in me feeling slightly annoyed, even though it's absolutely gorgeous in places. I think it's not as consistent as some here make it out to be, and for that very reason not a masterpiece. A masterpiece is something where practically every single cue, every single minute there's something awesome or incredible going on. Total Recall = masterpiece, Lionheart = masterpiece, Star Trek TMP = masterpiece. Legend = okay
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Demetris wrote
    Oh come on, they're not even close. I don't hear any synth farts in Spiderman. Orchestra is everywhere, the rest is standard Hornerisms and in much, much milder way than some of his older scores, imo.

The electronics are what make me think of Spider-man as unfocused and messy. Listen to a fantastic track such as Deep Impact's 'Our Best Hope' to hear subtle synths that blend wonderfully with the orchestra.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Jerry Goldsmith

This is the alternates on disc 3 cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Demetris wrote
    NICK GLENNIE SMITH - We were soldiers

Shame this composer isn't getting assignments anymore. Well, at least credited assignments.

Check out 'Secretariat'. VERY GOOD.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    2 Days in the Valley - Jerry Goldsmith

I'm not often surprised, but I am surprised by how strong this is. A sort of cross between Chinatown and Basic Instinct - obviously not as good as either of those, but it's good all the same.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Hemingway & Gellhorn - Javier Navarrete

Sensational score with a couple of string-led themes that sound bold and fresh - even more so in the light of his artificial, repetitive work on Wrath of the Titans. This may be one of the better scores produced this year to date.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2012
    NP : LORD OF THE RINGS : FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING - Howard Shore

Wonderful scoring, love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I'm sure you (and all of us) will be saying the same thing in four and a half months about The Hobbit! cool
  3. Atham wrote
    I'm sure you (and all of us) will be saying the same thing in four and a half months about The Hobbit! cool

I am looking forward to hearing what Shore does with The Hobbit more than what Peter Jackson does with it. But I don't really relish the drawn-out expense of 3 more OST CDs, special edition CDs for each of the films that contain one extra track, then 3 complete recording releases, and archival/rare CD release and an in-depth book.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. NP: Quantum of Solace (David Arnold)

Pity the film isn't better -- Arnold deserved a better swansong for what was one of his best scores for the series.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. Atham wrote
    I'm sure you (and all of us) will be saying the same thing for four and a half years about The Hobbit! cool

Amended to reflect the time it will take to get to the end of that production line of film/dvd/soundtrack releases.
  6. franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Quantum of Solace (David Arnold)

Pity the film isn't better -- Arnold deserved a better swansong for what was one of his best scores for the series.

Woah woah woah.
    Why didn't I notice before that 'Night at the Opera' was very likely a strong temp track influence for the strongest musical idea in Zimmer's INCEPTION score? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    franz_conrad wrote
    Atham wrote
    I'm sure you (and all of us) will be saying the same thing for four and a half years about The Hobbit! cool

Amended to reflect the time it will take to get to the end of that production line of film/dvd/soundtrack releases.

Indeed. Quite so. Quite so!
  7. First Knight Goldsmith

Superb score, I think the complete score plays brilliantly on the La La land release.
  8. THE LAND BEFORE TIME - HORNER

Wonderful Horner of symphonic proportions or the unofficial sequel to Willow.
  9. Atham wrote

I hope so too. And I hope our high expectations of it won't lead to disappointment.
  10. franz_conrad wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Woah woah woah.
    Why didn't I notice before that 'Night at the Opera' was very likely a strong temp track influence for the strongest musical idea in Zimmer's INCEPTION score? dizzy

Hans had no temp-track on Inception. I asked him about the similarities. He admitted to using the same intervals, but said he hasn't heard this track at the time.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Woah woah woah.

Hans had no temp-track on Inception. I asked him about the similarities. He admitted to using the same intervals, but said he hasn't heard this track at the time.

I find that hard to believe? I was also trying to think if there was anything similar in John Barry's ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE, a score I know back to front and a score that Zimmer says he was influenced by for INCEPTION but can find nothing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote

I think it's Arnold's best Bond score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2012 edited

We need more relationships where the director trusts the composer so much that they don't use a temp track.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  11. Scribe wrote

We need more relationships where the director trusts the 25+ composers so much that they don't use a temp track.

Sorry, slight correction! wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    applause biggrin