• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2012
    True Confessions - Georges Delerue

Just gorgeous.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    True Confessions - Georges Delerue

Just gorgeous.

Of so many beautiful scores Delerue has done this may be my favourite....or is it Agnes of God? I can't decide dizzy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    There's only one way to find out...
  1. PawelStroinski wrote
    The Pelican Brief is to me one of the weirdest Horner experiences. I utterly *hate* the score in the film, it is simply to jarring, but the album is much better. I remember that in the movie the score heavily angered me rather than building suspense or things like that.

I thought the score was the best part of that movie. That and Denzel Washington.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    There's only one way to find out...

DeNiro as a priest v Meg Tilly as a nun....Hmmmmm spin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Lone Wolf McQuade - Francesco de Masi

There's a word for scores like this. And that word is "good."
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL - Michael Collins

Absolutely perfect.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2012 edited
    Southall wrote
    Lone Wolf McQuade - Francesco de Masi

There's a word for scores like this. And that word is "good."

Preceded by "very".... which would make it two words.

Peter punk
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2012
    Demetris wrote

Absolutely perfect.

Yep, just about sums it up! A near-masterpiece.

The Vampire's Assistant - Stephen Trask

Taking another listen to this highly enjoyable score by a composer whose other work I'm totally unfamiliar with. Wonderful jaunty pieces, lots of colourful orchestrations and ominous 'big' moments. Some of it (in terms of tone) sounds clearly influenced by Danny Elfman and yet it never rips him off at all. A very nice surprise.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Mimic - Marco Beltrami

The expanded edition is a real revelation. Fully does what may be one of Beltrami's finest 3 or 4 scores full-blooded justice.
  2. Men Don't Leave - Thomas Newman

I'll never tire of those Newman strings.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL - Heat

Shame he doesn't compose as frequent anymore. I guess his style is too complex for the dumber generation of younger directors around today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2012 edited
    Demetris wrote
    ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL - Heat

Shame he doesn't compose as frequent anymore. I guess his style is too complex for the dumber generation of younger directors around today.

He told me he doesn't want to compose music for action films anymore (even though PUBLIC ENEMIES did have its fair share of action, but I guess he means more standard Hollywood fare).
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Goldenthal hasn't scored any of the action scenes in Public Enemies though. It's not a perfect film, but one of the reasons I bought it on DVD is another exquisite UNSCORED shootout.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    David OC wrote
    Demetris wrote

Absolutely perfect.

Yep, just about sums it up! A masterpiece.

I corrected your post!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL - Heat

I listened to this album last week! Great, GREAT album!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. One of the very best urban albums I've heard. Brilliant score, as well.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. Listened to a number of scores suites I had made, including "Chain Reaction", multiples from "Keeper of the City" (Rosenman), and some other stuff.
    It leaves me wondering, "Chain Reaction", what that score could have been, had the film been during the 1980's with Goldsmith's constant string og hits then and and style I much more prefer.

Also, solved the mystery of what happened to retirned orchestrator James B. Campbell -- sadly it involved a decline for an interview -- but a very polite decline. :-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Occhio alla Penna - Ennio

His final western score (1981) and most enjoyable it is, with lots of elements of his famous scores in the genre.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2012 edited
    Just played Outbreak by James Newton Howard. Top notch film music right there.

Moving onto...

NP: The Perfect Storm - James Horner

Magnificent!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote

Magnificent!

-Erik-

Nothing else to say. One of his last great works.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    La Casa Bruciata - Ennio

Absolutely brilliant. Parts are the closest he's got to the style of the opening from The Mission (that I've heard, anyway); other parts have a heavy South American influence. Just great.
  6. Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Magnificent!

-Erik-

I think you mean one of his many great works.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2012
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Magnificent!

-Erik-

I think you mean one of his many great works.

No, one of his LAST great works is a proper assessment. There aren't too many post-2000 scores that reach the heights that The Perfect Storm does!

-Erik-
  7. Re: Horner's Spider Man, I think the last 3-4 tracks of this belong on some Greatest Hits collection, especially that piano piece.
  8. NP: Last of the Mohicans (Trevor Jones)

Listening to the last couple of film tracks -- the film versions -- which are a gorgeous climax and sigh of relief for what really is one of the best adventure films of all time.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2012 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    David OC wrote
    Demetris wrote

Absolutely perfect.

Yep, just about sums it up! A masterpiece.

I corrected your post!

-Erik-

Nice one. No need for the 'near' at all. It's a magnificent score and emblematic of Goldenthal's style at his peak.

The Entity - Charles Bernstein

One of the greatest, most memorable horror/supernatural opening themes. Though the attack and suspense music is, appropriately, as subtle as a sledgehammer, there's surprising complexity in the brilliant 'It Appears/The Entity' cue which takes the main title theme to another level with three thematic lines converging. And Bernstein's breakdown of the construction of the theme are brilliant extras at the end of the CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote
    ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL - Heat

I listened to this album last week! Great, GREAT album!

-Erik-

Indeed. Such a shame he doesn't want to compose "Action movies" anymore. He doesn't need to compose them in traditional action-mode scoring; he never did anyway. But it's a shame 'cause i find both HEAT and PUBLIC ENEMIES exceptional works.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Re: Horner's Spider Man, I think the last 3-4 tracks of this belong on some Greatest Hits collection, especially that piano piece.

In the movie they work absolute wonders!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Vangelis' 1492: The Conquest of Paradise.

A great score for a movie for which i have fond childhood memories about. Also excellent musical accompaniment for when you want to stay focused and relaxed at the same time. wink i.e. studying