• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I decided to give MISSION IMPOSSIBLE III another go earlier today and I was amazed at my own ability to totally enjoy it, for the first time. I remember being turned off by the lack of melody and the repetitive nature of the writing when it came out, and I quickly dismissed it as a mediocre action score. Not so anymore, as of today... 4 stars it is! This was actually on my pile of scores to sell, for many months. It has now found its place again in my collection. cool

4 stars? really?

I admit that I have to listen to it for the first time, but I've heard it twice in the film, and 4 stars is so far not what I had in mind

It's funny, because I now think this style is totally appropriate for an M:I film. I used to think the opposite. And M:I IV isn't as good, all it has is that wonderful russian music.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Ghost Protocol starts good, but the India cues near the end totally ruin it. sad
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I decided to give MISSION IMPOSSIBLE III another go earlier today and I was amazed at my own ability to totally enjoy it, for the first time. I remember being turned off by the lack of melody and the repetitive nature of the writing when it came out, and I quickly dismissed it as a mediocre action score. Not so anymore, as of today... 4 stars it is! This was actually on my pile of scores to sell, for many months. It has now found its place again in my collection. cool

4 stars? really?

I admit that I have to listen to it for the first time, but I've heard it twice in the film, and 4 stars is so far not what I had in mind

It's funny, because I now think this style is totally appropriate for an M:I film. I used to think the opposite. And M:I IV isn't as good, all it has is that wonderful russian music.

damn, I see now you mentioned part 3, I mistook it for part 4 which I agree (apart from the russian and the dubai theme) wasn't that amazing (in the picture at least), I always liked the aggressive rhythmic action music of 3 though

good to see your attempts paid off eventually
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. Ha! Your post vanished for a while there bro, you know there's an edit button right?
  5. NP: The Game compilation my brother gave me

some really good pieces here, Xenogears and Alone in the Dark have those amazing vocals, Colin o Malley's LOTR music has a really good theme, same for the forgotten sands of the prince of persia, but the ones that really grabbed my attention was the cool theme for Socom 4, the amazing star wars esque music of Mark Griskey (star wars: the force unleashed II) and that end of World of Warcracft with those amazing choral moments

have to get back to his video game compilations he made some time ago me think wink
  6. DreamTheater wrote
    Ha! Your post vanished for a while there bro, you know there's an edit button right?

why edit if you can delete it wink
  7. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: The Game compilation my brother gave me

some really good pieces here, Xenogears and Alone in the Dark have those amazing vocals, Colin o Malley's LOTR music has a really good theme, same for the forgotten sands of the prince of persia, but the ones that really grabbed my attention was the cool theme for Socom 4, the amazing star wars esque music of Mark Griskey (star wars: the force unleashed II) and that end of World of Warcracft with those amazing choral moments

have to get back to his video game compilations he made some time ago me think wink

beer

But how will you find the time to listen to them?
  8. I am now feeling relaxed and in tune with the world. That's what listening to some of Popol Vuh's music for Nosferatu does to me!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  9. BRAINSTORM - HORNER

Having now seen the film, I can say that the man did a fantastic job on scoring it. So even if there's not much more music than what's on this 30 minute album it's exciting, gorgeous, and chillingly brilliant in all the right places.
  10. DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: The Game compilation my brother gave me

beer

But how will you find the time to listen to them?

I'll have plenty of time soon once I have to drive to my work in the future smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    BRAINSTORM - HORNER

Having now seen the film, I can say that the man did a fantastic job on scoring it. So even if there's not much more music than what's on this 30 minute album it's exciting, gorgeous, and chillingly brilliant in all the right places.

It's been a long time since I've seen the film but I don't remember much music missing. The soundtrack is a re-recording so a deluxe treatment of this awesome score would be most welcome.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I am now feeling relaxed and in tune with the world. That's what listening to some of Popol Vuh's music for Nosferatu does to me!

Now there's a score that never ( until now ) gets mentioned around these parts, I really like it, very brooding but I only have the old LP tucked away somewhere.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE TERMINAL (John Williams)

Lovely, breezy, melodic music for a nice summer day.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    BRAINSTORM - HORNER

It's been a long time since I've seen the film but I don't remember much music missing. The soundtrack is a re-recording so a deluxe treatment of this awesome score would be most welcome.

Now that you mention it, the music sounded a bit different in the movie. I think it would only add between 5-10 minutes if they were to expand it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2012
    Just arrived back from work to find on the other side of the front door...

NP: THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN - James Horner

Just a couple of tracks in and I like very much what I'm hearing.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Despite my earlier arrogant comments about being able to predict what it would sound like without hearing it, Horner's Spider-man actually surprised me quite a bit. I think I like it. Maybe even will love it.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Young Victoria - Ilan Eshkeri

Integration of classical pieces aside, Ishkeri's original work is very listenable but far from memorable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Lost Child - Mark McKenzie

Goodness, this is so gorgeous. There's a Delerue-like beauty to the themes. Just wonderful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2012 edited
    David OC wrote
    The Young Victoria - Ilan Eshkeri

Integration of classical pieces aside, Ishkeri's original work is very listenable but far from memorable.

I've heard the score in the film a couple times now and really enjoyed it. I LOVE the track "Marriage Proposal" on the album. I listen to it regularly. It's so gorgeous!

Southall wrote
    The Lost Child - Mark McKenzie

Goodness, this is so gorgeous. There's a Delerue-like beauty to the themes. Just wonderful.

I find nearly everything McKenzie has written to be gorgeous. I was super excited that THE LOST CHILD got an itunes release so that I could finally have it. There is a lot of beauty on that album. The track that has impressed me the most so far is "Kinaalda Celebration," and that track is very Delerue-esque. I'm listening to it right now, actually.

edit: I just kept listening to THE LOST CHILD after that track and have been impressed all over again by how nice it is. Really lovely stuff.
  12. MEET JOE BLACK - Thomas Newman

This is so nice. I'm just finishing up "That Next Place." It does not matter how many times I hear that piece. It remains my single favorite piece of film music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2012
    christopher wrote
    MEET JOE BLACK - Thomas Newman

This is so nice. I'm just finishing up "That Next Place." It does not matter how many times I hear that piece. It remains my single favorite piece of film music.

It's a really lovely piece but a rare exception for Newman that it's excruciatingly overwhelming in the film, not that that is a problem for me as I'll never watch this bore-fest of a film again.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Sin Nombre - Marcelo Zarvos

I loved this on first listen a few months back had it on repeat for a couple of weeks. A re-visit only confirms what I felt then - that this is one of the freshest, finest scores of recent years. Absolutely love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Tepepa - Ennio Morricone

My Morricone streak continues with this wonderful, very chilled-out spaghetti western score.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Door in the Floor - Marcelo Zarvos

Damn! A stunning string and piano set of themes and variations by Zarvos. Can't believe I haven't listened to this in years. Another very classy score from this very underrated composer.
  13. Timmer wrote
    christopher wrote

It's a really lovely piece but a rare exception for Newman that it's excruciatingly overwhelming in the film, not that that is a problem for me as I'll never watch this bore-fest of a film again.

Fine with me. If that's what Newman does when he's over-scoring something I wish he would over-score everything!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    christopher wrote
    Timmer wrote
    christopher wrote

Fine with me. If that's what Newman does when he's over-scoring something I wish he would over-score everything!

I do like the music, just not the film.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2012
    NP : A BEAUTIFUL MIND - James Horner

Taking this play to bed with me, doubt I'll hear the end as I'm mashed./ spin
  14. NP: Nowhere in Africa (Niki Reiser)

The music for this German post-colonial fantasy is the sort of nice middleground you might get if you mixed the Zimmeresque sounds for Africa with a Gabriel Yared style of scoring.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2012
    Timmer wrote
    NP : A BEAUTIFUL MIND - James Horner

Taking this play to bed with me, doubt I'll hear the end as I'm mashed./ spin

beer

The Avengers - Alan Silvestri

Very entertaining.
  15. When I drive to an old schoolfriend today, I will play the music that Bartosz Chajdecki gave me when we met in Cracow last May.
    Some of the tracks where he got permission from can be found on our radiostation:

The SST Selection - Bartosz Chajdecki
    That's the beauty of music. They can't take that away from you. (Andy Dufresne)