• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2012
    KRULL
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...no I'm not playing it but it IS AWESOME!!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    punk
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Demetris wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Amazing Spider Man - James Horner

I can't put my finger on it, but I'm really enjoying this score more and more.

Let me help you. It.is.awesome.

Let me help YOU.

Krull is awesome.

This is not.

Oh no here we go again... knight

Yeah. Krull you.

No Krull you buddy.

As in: go listen to it NOW !!!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN

I'm not going to go in of my rants again, but I just want to say that my current listen hasn't improved my view on it. If anything it has made the main problem with this score even more clear: Horner has written a large scale score for a big budget flick that is completely unfocused, without structure and incredibly boring in a few places. Not to mention the action music is a far cry from the usual artistry he has done so much better in the past. It's a complete mess and I can't see myself going through this a fifth time. I'm going to put on Krull now...

Sure it has a few moments of Horner magic but overall I'm just wondering if Horner wrote this in his sleep, or the producers told him to be as unoriginal as possible.

Looks like I put another rant here after all. shame
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Taste is a funny thing, but one thing Spider-Man could surely not be accused of is a lack of focus. It seems to possess all of Horner's usual high level of considered construction and the scale of the musical architecture is immense. Like it, don't like it, whatever, but it is acutely well-developed and focused, moreso than is commonly found in scores for this type of film.
  3. NP: LEGEND (Jerry Goldsmith)

Honestly I like this, I admit my attention dozed off in the middle, but the begin is so magical, and the end so mesmerizing. Plus what a glorious theme. the synthesizers are a bit awkward, but once you hear the fully orchestral version of The Goblins motif in The Unicorns, you appreciate the difference between the 2 styles even more.

Can't decide between 7 and 8 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: LEGEND (Jerry Goldsmith)

Honestly I like this, I admit my attention dozed off in the middle, but the begin is so magical, and the end so mesmerizing. Plus what a glorious theme. the synthesizers are a bit awkward, but once you hear the fully orchestral version of The Goblins motif in The Unicorns, you appreciate the difference between the 2 styles even more.

No need to waste time deciding between 7 and 8. It's worth the full 10.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah
  4. Southall wrote
    Taste is a funny thing, but one thing Spider-Man could surely not be accused of is a lack of focus. It seems to possess all of Horner's usual high level of considered construction and the scale of the musical architecture is immense. Like it, don't like it, whatever, but it is acutely well-developed and focused, moreso than is commonly found in scores for this type of film.

It's all over the place. The Perfect Storm is a great example of a score being completely focused in both its action and dramatic parts. There's tons more satisfaction to be had from that one.
  5. Southall wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: LEGEND (Jerry Goldsmith)

No need to waste time deciding between 7 and 8. It's worth the full 10.

comparing it with today's music, it's worth a 15. But 10 is First Knight, 10 is Star Trek, 10 is Total Recall
    Legend is not quite that standard wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Wrong! Yes it is that standard.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    In fact when you consider the labour of love Goldsmith put into LEGEND it's much nearer the quality of STAR TREK TMP than it is Total Recall or First Knight.
  6. Timmer wrote
    In fact when you consider the labour of love Goldsmith put into LEGEND it's much nearer the quality of STAR TREK TMP than it is Total Recall or First Knight.

the detail is amazing, and I can't understand a producer's choice to put Tangerine Dream's score over this. This is such refined orchestral music, and the choir's amazing in this too

but I grade those mentioned scores still higher than Legend
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote

It's all over the place. The Perfect Storm is a great example of a score being completely focused in both its action and dramatic parts. There's tons more satisfaction to be had from that one.

All over the place? You're listening to a different score my friend.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  7. Demetris wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote

that's what I say too every time I hear a Brian Tyler score you love wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    James Horner
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote

I completely disagree with this. I find the album to be an incoherent mess, which is rare for Horner.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Goldsmith's LEGEND is a bonafide masterpiece.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2012 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote

Like I said - I perfectly understand anyone not sharing my taste about something - but I just think you're plain wrong. There is no more single-minded film composer than James Horner and the level of focus in Spider-Man is incredible. He has a clear path and he sticks to it. Not a note of that score is unfocused. You might think it's boring or old-fashioned or some such, but it is absolutely not unfocused. The way little motivic fragments appear in one place, get twisted round into something else later on, fully developed in another cue; or the way one melody's counterpoint is later used as an A-melody itself - this is stuff that goes so much further than most film composers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    One of the biggest issues I have with the score is that I feel like I'm listening to four different scores at once. I find that all the different styles don't blend together very well. The other issue I have is the barrage of unnecessary electronics which don't play nicely with the orchestra. Again, Elfman did this far more successfully and skillfully in his Spidey scores.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

I completely disagree with this. I find the album to be an incoherent mess, which is rare for Horner.

-Erik-

Seriously? You know this is not true....i strongly think you didn't hear this enough, or focused enough.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    One of the biggest issues I have with the score is that I feel like I'm listening to four different scores at once. I find that all the different styles don't blend together very well. The other issue I have is the barrage of unnecessary electronics which don't play nicely with the orchestra.

-Erik-

Completely agree with this... I didn't like the electronics in Avatar, though I've grown to like the rest of the album, but here I flat out hate them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

-Erik-

Seriously? You know this is not true....i strongly think you didn't hear this enough, or focused enough.

Yeah... 6 times isn't enough. rolleyes

Again, it's not an AWFUL score it's just not GREAT! However, there are a few homeruns... portions of "Saving New York" dazzle. There's some genuine excitement and tension in "Oscorp Tower" and a proper end credit suite is nothing to sneeze at. But I, for the life of me, can't remember a lick or even care about the rest of the score.

-Erik-
  9. Southall wrote
    And Angels in America!

I don't quite hear that in Whispers. That oboe theme almost immediately conjured up Quilt, though.
  10. Demetris wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote

Yeah, I listened to it straight through last time and I found it very much focused.

BTW, I think the reason why I liked it almost immediately is because it contains the Genius theme that Horner perfected in A Beautiful Mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    A theme/motif that should have stayed in Searching For Bobby Fischer.

-Erik-
  11. Actually it first appeared in Sneakers. Funny how motifs evolve...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Southall wrote
    And Angels in America!

I don't quite hear that in Whispers. That oboe theme almost immediately conjured up Quilt, though.

The oboe theme is virtually the same melody as one of the main themes in Angels, isn't it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Hummm... I always thought Bobby Fischer was released before Sneakers. I see now that I was wrong. Funny... it that little motif really came to the forefront in Fischer where as it was somewhat in the background in the Sneakers mix. Then again, "Josh And Vinnie" is pretty much the Sneakers main title.

Damn you, HOOOORRRRRRRRRNEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! crazy

-Erik-