• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2012
    NP: Independence Day - David Arnold

Dazzling!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. JAWS - WILLIAMS

First ever listen of the re-recording. Splendid theme and action music, though the underscore has never been able to wow me like his underscore for the Star Wars trilogy. But that's due to Jaws being more restrained and suspenseful than the not very subtle sound he did for Star Wars.

I must say, I like this McNeely / RSNO more than the original recording, the dynamics are just a lot better. It's a more than faithful recreation IMO.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Erik Woods wrote

Dazzling!

-Erik-

punk punk punk punk punk

Isn't it unbelievable this man David Arnold has now completely vanished off the face of the earth? sad
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Dazzling!

-Erik-

punk punk punk punk punk

Isn't it unbelievable this man David Arnold has now completely vanished off the face of the earth? sad

He's
    working on/or already worked on, two films with composer Michael Price (UPCOMING FILM SCORES thread).

That's two more film scoring projects than David Newman and Don Davis.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2012 edited
    I'm guessing Gilles didn't mean the composer per se (who has obviously been busy with high profile movies since he broke through), but rather the sound he was known for in the 90's.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    JAWS - WILLIAMS

First ever listen of the re-recording. Splendid theme and action music, though the underscore has never been able to wow me like his underscore for the Star Wars trilogy. But that's due to Jaws being more restrained and suspenseful than the not very subtle sound he did for Star Wars.

I must say, I like this McNeely / RSNO more than the original recording, the dynamics are just a lot better. It's a more than faithful recreation IMO.

Listen to the original MCA Records release. It's a re-recording done with a studio orchestra at the time of the films release but it's one of the very best soundtrack presentations of all time. I'm not too fond of the McNeely recording because of the recording itself. A lot of the details in Williams music is lost with the wide open concert hall recording.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Dazzling!

-Erik-

punk punk punk punk punk

I expect he's busy organising music for the Olympics.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    JAWS - WILLIAMS

Listen to the original MCA Records release. It's a re-recording done with a studio orchestra at the time of the films release but it's one of the very best soundtrack presentations of all time. I'm not too fond of the McNeely recording because of the recording itself. A lot of the details in Williams music is lost with the wide open concert hall recording.

-Erik-

yeah

As genius as the original score is I have too say for sheer enjoyment I much prefer listening to JAWS 2.

...dafty teenagers in trouble film though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. That's it -- you're going to Score Nerd Jail, so you can sit and rot with the people who think ST3 is better than ST2.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Jaws 2 is wicked score and is on the same level as the original.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    justin boggan wrote
    That's it -- you're going to Score Nerd Jail, so you can sit and rot with the people who think ST3 is better than ST2.

I was about to say I'd be in good company but I consider STAR TREK II & III as equals. biggrin
  5. Timmer wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    That's it -- you're going to Score Nerd Jail, so you can sit and rot with the people who think ST3 is better than ST2.

I was about to say I'd be in good company but I consider STAR TREK II & III as equals. biggrin

Okay, early probation, but you'll have an electronic monitoring colar. It may cause pain and make you bend at wird angles like Shatner in some TOS episode.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    justin boggan wrote

I agree! They're essentially one score! A lot like The Lord of the Rings.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I much prefer II (which is not to say I don't like III).

The Thomas Crown Affair - Bill Conti

Oh. My CDR of the bootleg has developed a lot of pops and scratches. That's a shame. I remember quite liking this.
  6. Southall wrote
    I much prefer II (which is not to say I don't like III).

The Thomas Crown Affair - Bill Conti

Oh. My CDR of the bootleg has developed a lot of pops and scratches. That's a shame. I remember quite liking this.

If you ever want to trade for a new copy, you can PM me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Dinotopia - BTJ

This is really strong. Probably my favourite of his bunch of tv scores from around that time.
  7. Downton Abbey - John Lunn

cool
  8. Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Dazzling!

-Erik-

punk punk punk punk punk

I expect he's busy organising music for the Olympics.

If that's what you're expecting, can I expect that music to be a bit like his career-starters?

Nah, scratch that, I just want him to do Independence Day 2 period. smile
  9. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    JAWS - WILLIAMS

-Erik-

So what is the Decca release then? I only have that one. Is that one inferior to the MCA release?

About the McNeely recording: I like it. It allows me to enjoy the music more than on the Decca I have, where it seems a bit muffled, lacking in power if that makes sense.

Hey it's the opposite of the CE3K recording where I'm in love with the original (much more emotional) and you seem to prefer the Gerhardt (correct?)
  10. Timmer wrote
    justin boggan wrote

That's exactly how I think, but I have a serious soft spot for III, as that one has the most interesting previously unreleased cues. So the expanded of The Search for Spock is my preferred of the two Horners.

That and 'Spock's Cabin' being my alltime favourite Horner cue. biggrin

Ha, I meant 'Stealing the Enterprise' !!!!!! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Dinotopia - BTJ

This is really strong. Probably my favourite of his bunch of tv scores from around that time.

Worst!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    So what is the Decca release then? I only have that one. Is that one inferior to the MCA release?

Decca is the original soundtrack recording using a real terrible source. The sound quality is pants. But then again, Laurent Bouzereau produced it... soooooo... yeah, it's not that great!

DreamTheater wrote
    About the McNeely recording: I like it. It allows me to enjoy the music more than on the Decca I have, where it seems a bit muffled, lacking in power if that makes sense.

If I had my choice between the two I would listen to McNeely's as well.

DreamTheater wrote
    Hey it's the opposite of the CE3K recording where I'm in love with the original (much more emotional) and you seem to prefer the Gerhardt (correct?)

Gerhardt's the best recording of anything CE3K EVER! However, both the original LP presentation and expanded edition (surprisingly produced by Mr. Bouzereau) are solid listens.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE REIVERS (John Williams)

Classic down-and-dirty Americana!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2012
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Dinotopia - BTJ

Worst!

-Erik-

It and Cleopatra are the two I really like. I intend to give Merlin another go sometime.
  11. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Decca is the original soundtrack recording using a real terrible source. The sound quality is pants. But then again, Laurent Bouzereau produced it... soooooo... yeah, it's not that great!

Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't even aware there was another version (MCA).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Dinotopia - BTJ

Worst!

-Erik-

It and Cleopatra are the two I really like. I intend to give Merlin another go sometime.

I was just being a dick. :p

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I love the MCA Jaws album. One of the first LPs I bought along with Close Encounters.
    I'm also happy with the Decca. I don't mind the sound too much but I hate the track order!
    The McNeely version was okay but some of the mix sounds weird to me and some tracks are quite far from being a "faithful recreation". But I guess that's just them being artistically creative perhaps.
  12. The MCA of "JAWS" is, to me, a near perfect CD and an exceptional re-recording.

I say "near perfect", since whiel hte presentation is excellent, it still lacked some important cues from the film, which would have made good re-recordings -- not many, just a small few.

To me, a number of the cues on this re-recording, are superior to their film equivalent.

As a matter of fact, I've gotten used ot the sound quality, too. I think it even ads a special dose that I can't put into proper words, to the recording.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Downton Abbey - John Lunn

cool

Didn't even know this was available. I didn't even watch the show, despite the almost sarcastic level of buzz it created here in the UK. What's it like?