• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2012
    Flesh + Blood - Basil Poledouris

I regret missing out on the Intrada album, since I gather it has much improved sonics. But listening to the 11-track original album (from the Prometheus album - skipping the "bonus" section) for the first time in years, I'm reminded how great this is.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thanks! I'll check it out.

The sound scape of Torn Legacy is so wondrous, hypnotic and extremely powerful! Every element in this score from organic to electronic complements each other so perfectly. The themes... oh man, the themes. Not since... oh, I don't know... The Lord of the Rings have themes from one particuar score been this strong. It has been a very, very, very long time since a score of this calibre has had such a profound affect on me. I know that I drooled over How To Train Your Dragon (a score I selected as the best score of the year in 2010 and rightfully so) but Tron Legacy (released the same year as HTTYD) has been the most played album in my collection since its release. Raiders, Star Wars, Medal of Honor, Back To The Future and all of my other top 10 favorite rarely get this kind of playtime. What does that mean? Is Tron Legacy becoming one of my top 10 scores of all time - a top 10 list that hasn't changed for roughly 10-15 years. What does it replace? I think I need to revisit my top 10 anyway. I need to fit in stuff like Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Signs.

So confused. crazy

-Erik-

Erik,

Simple.

Make it a TOP 20
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Eric wrote
    NP : Capricorn One - Jerry Goldsmith

One of my personal favourite Jerry scores . I also have a weak spot for the movie ... smile
    I really would like to see a full release of the score . I have the Crescendo CD and a Soundtrack Library one but that has awful audio quality ... sadly ... sad

IMO, the re-recording beats the pants of the original soundtrack recording. Hang on to that GNP Crescendo album. It's a stunner!

-Erik-

FACT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thanks! I'll check it out.

The sound scape of Torn Legacy is so wondrous, hypnotic and extremely powerful! Every element in this score from organic to electronic complements each other so perfectly. The themes... oh man, the themes. Not since... oh, I don't know... The Lord of the Rings have themes from one particuar score been this strong. It has been a very, very, very long time since a score of this calibre has had such a profound affect on me. I know that I drooled over How To Train Your Dragon (a score I selected as the best score of the year in 2010 and rightfully so) but Tron Legacy (released the same year as HTTYD) has been the most played album in my collection since its release. Raiders, Star Wars, Medal of Honor, Back To The Future and all of my other top 10 favorite rarely get this kind of playtime. What does that mean? Is Tron Legacy becoming one of my top 10 scores of all time - a top 10 list that hasn't changed for roughly 10-15 years. What does it replace? I think I need to revisit my top 10 anyway. I need to fit in stuff like Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Signs.

So confused. crazy

-Erik-

Erik,

Simple.

Make it a TOP 20

I like the way you think!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. ERAGON - PATRICK DOYLE

This is good, but essentially a little generic sounding when compared to his superior 90s output.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2012 edited
    NP: Back To The Future I-III - Alan Silvestri

It was yesterday!!!

Edit: or not?
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Miya wrote
    NP: Back To The Future I-III - Alan Silvestri

It was yesterday!!!

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    I don't remember if it really was yesterday, to be honest (I just saw some tweets and wanted to hear it biggrin)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    ok, it's not. http://mashable.com/2012/06/27/back-to-the-future-hoax/

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Back to the Future Day is October 21, 2015 4:29pm.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    It's part of who I am, I guess. If someone where to look over my list then they would have a better understanding of the sort of music, style I like.

By the way, a lot of the tone in that post was tongue in cheek. I'm not loosing any sleep over this.

-Erik-

lists lists lists.....no wonder you and Thor don't go along pretty good, it's the opposites that are said to attract each other wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    What?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    What?

-Erik-

I think D is implying that we are we secret....uhm, "friends". Not sure we should go there! biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: RARITIES (John Williams)

A long iTunes playlist containing extreme JW obscurities that I doubt many of you have heard. Fascinating stuff!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SPACE QUEST III (Bob Siebenberg)

Just discovered that the Supertramp drummer had done the score to this classic adventure game from Sierra, ca. 1985?? Not that interesting, musically, but cute! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - Big Trev Jones

Pretty decent. Haven't listened to this one in a very long time. (Wasn't this highly controversial because it was the first film score to be released exclusively as a download in the US?)
  2. NP: In Love and War (George Fenton)

I think it's my favourite of Fenton's drama scores. Romance, the way it should be.
    Every now and then I wonder how BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN would have been received if it had been scored -- sparingly -- as more of a romantic melodrama in this style. Probably not so well, I guess, but you never know. A film that breaks through to people makes everything in it seem good (clearly large sections of Hollywood think so).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2012
    Dark City - Big Trev Jones

Also pretty decent. Wondering why I don't listen to Big Trev more often.
  3. Because you find him too boring, good man.

(Merlin.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - Big Trev Jones

Pretty decent. Haven't listened to this one in a very long time. (Wasn't this highly controversial because it was the first film score to be released exclusively as a download in the US?)

Yup! There wasn't a US pressing of the album and their still isn't.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Because you find him too boring, good man.

(Merlin.)

Merlin - his best score, IMO.

-Erik-
  4. Hey, I didn't say it. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

(Merlin.)

-Erik-

2nd best.
  5. 3rd best.

(Look, I can be cryptic, too!)
  6. Southall wrote
    Dark City - Big Trev Jones

Also pretty decent. Wondering why I don't listen to Big Trev more often.

Probably my favourite Jones. It has everything I want in a film score. cool

And I don't dislike the songs either. But most of the time I just listen to the expanded score.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2012 edited
    MISSION TO MARS - ENNIO MORRICONE

The film order this time. Lovely, original, grand, a great morning listen. smile

Film order seems to work even better for me. love

11 - 5 - 6 - 8 - 10 - 4 - 7 - 2 - 3 - 9 - 1
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    christopher wrote
    3rd best.

Worst!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    DreamTheater wrote
    MISSION TO MARS - ENNIO MORRICONE

The film order this time. Lovely, original, grand, a great morning listen. smile

Film order seems to work even better for me. love

11 - 5 - 6 - 8 - 10 - 4 - 7 - 2 - 3 - 9 - 1

Ah Ha! Thanks for sharing the film order!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PADRE PIO - Ennio Morricone

love
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2012 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

(Merlin.)

-Erik-

yeah

His best score and one of my favorite scores of all time.