• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2011 edited
    One of my least favourite Zimmers. The dialogue isn't poorly done, but I just can't tolerate dialogue when I'm listening to music as I find it distracting, so I always program dialogue tracks out. The tracks Avarice and Virtue are fine, but the best pieces are the non-Zimmer pieces Vide cor meum (Cassidy) and To every captive soul (Mahler).

Rating: ***

Peter smile
  1. To Every Captive is Zimmer's pastiche of Mahler. It is *not* an original Mahler piece.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2011
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Hannibal

One of his very best scores. Romantic, scary, orchestral, classical-sounding. Great work. The dialogue actually works in it, a rare case.

It is brilliant! And you are dead on concerning the dialogue!

PawelStroinski wrote
    My problem isn't the graphic violence (it's a pastiche, I think). My problem is that the film visually falls apart after we leave Florence, like Ridley lost all his visual talent until the brain scene.

yeah

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I quite like dialogue sometimes. I like the dialogue on the Apollo 13 album since it doesn't play over the music, but sets it up quite nicely. In a wonderfully dramatic, albiet American way, I rather like hearing Ed Harris's voice declaring "With all due respect, sir, I believe this is gonna be our finest hour" before Horner's brilliant music flares up.

Sure, it's corny. But I like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    PawelStroinski wrote
    To Every Captive is Zimmer's pastiche of Mahler. It is *not* an original Mahler piece.

It's basically the adagietto from Mahler's fifth symphony. Changing a couple of notes doesn't make it a Zimmer composition.

Peter smile
  2. I beg to differ here smile I did compare it to the original Adagietto and Hans changed quite a lot there.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I quite like dialogue sometimes. I like the dialogue on the Apollo 13 album since it doesn't play over the music, but sets it up quite nicely. In a wonderfully dramatic, albiet American way, I rather like hearing Ed Harris's voice declaring "With all due respect, sir, I believe this is gonna be our finest hour" before Horner's brilliant music flares up.

Sure, it's corny. But I like it.

yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I beg to differ here smile I did compare it to the original Adagietto and Hans changed quite a lot there.

Been a while since I listened to both side by side. I just remember once doing so and finding Zimmer's piece more or less a copy. But I'll give it another go, I could be mistaken.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE MUSIC OF ITC - Edwin Astley, Ron Grainer, John Barry, Laurie Johnson, Ken Thorne and more....

Disc one, 6 tracks from Danger Man by Edwin Astley cool

Now that I've played some Rammstein, super LOUD for the benefit of my neighbor ( he started drilling and DIY stuff ), I know he loved it because he only plays folk music thumbs

Anyway, back to disc two of the ITC set which I'm enjoying immensely...

NP : STRANGE REPORT - Roger Webb

Great, GREAT theme! love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Tranformers Steve Jablonsky

The most enjoyable and memorable thing I've heard from Jablonksy. I know that's not really saying much, but I really do enjoy this unabashedly overthetop fast-food of a score immensely. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think the visual style in HANNIBAL is fantastic and drop-dead gorgeous. In fact, Scott hasn't made a single film that isn't a visual marvel.

The film has a few problems in other areas, but is overall quite underrated.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I think the visual style in HANNIBAL is fantastic and drop-dead gorgeous. In fact, Scott hasn't made a single film that isn't a visual marvel.

The film has a few problems in other areas, but is overall quite underrated.

And I agree!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Hannibal, isn't that that movie where that guy eats his own brain?

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Hannibal, isn't that that movie where that guy eats his own brain?

Peter smile

Yes, it's fed to him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I thought that was too silly to take seriously. It felt like the film-makers were having a meeting where they were discussing how to gross people out the most, and this was the grossest idea they could possibly come up with. I wouldn't mind such an idea for a splatter B-movie, but for a movie that seems to take itself way too seriously, I raised my eyes to heaven repeatedly during that scene.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    I thought that was too silly to take seriously. It felt like the film-makers were having a meeting where they were discussing how to gross people out the most, and this was the grossest idea they could possibly come up with. I wouldn't mind such an idea for a splatter B-movie, but for a movie that seems to take itself way too seriously, I raised my eyes to heaven repeatedly during that scene.

Peter smile

Why did you think it was silly? What was done IS possible. The film makers didn't come up with that scene, it features in Thomas Harris novel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Why do I think a man eating his own brain is silly? Exhibit A: It's a man... eating... his own brain. Case closed. How is that not silly?

It IS also possible to make a human centipede. Doesn't mean it's not silly either.

I haven't read the novel so I'm not sure how it was handled there, but in a movie that took itself so seriously, the scene turned me off. Perhaps I should see it again. Might feel differently on my second viewing.

Peter smile
  3. The movie didn't take itself too seriously, Ridley handled it as a genre pastiche. I mean, look even at the introduction of Lecter.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I thought the scene in the film was horrifying, very surreal and nightmarish. If you consider that the brain doesn't feel pain ( people have brain surgery while conscious ) there is no problem in having Lektor operate and feed a man his own brain, the agents ( The Ray Liotta character ) mental disintegration as small sections of his brain are cut away and served to him are chilling.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thanks for the opinions guys. I'll try watching it again with an open mind. Perhaps I just wasn't in the right mood when I first saw it.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    I thought the scene in the film was horrifying, very surreal and nightmarish. If you consider that the brain doesn't feel pain ( people have brain surgery while conscious ) there is no problem in having Lektor operate and feed a man his own brain, the agents ( The Ray Liotta character ) mental disintegration as small sections of his brain are cut away and served to him are chilling.

Same here. I thought it was a great climax that was perfectly in line with the burlesque tone of the whole film. Almost operatic.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Hannibal

One of his very best scores. Romantic, scary, orchestral, classical-sounding. Great work. The dialogue actually works in it, a rare case.

The movie is some of Ridley's worst. I still don't get what happened on that one.

Absolutely Love it. Hans at his best.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Tranformers Steve Jablonsky

The most enjoyable and memorable thing I've heard from Jablonksy. I know that's not really saying much, but I really do enjoy this unabashedly overthetop fast-food of a score immensely. cool

I prefer vol 2 for being more dramatic wink third volume is atrocious.
  4. PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Hannibal

The movie is some of Ridley's worst. I still don't get what happened on that one.

you said it, the score is great, the movie's a joke and a funny one face-palm-mt
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2011
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Hannibal

you said it, the score is great, the movie's a joke and a funny one face-palm-mt

Really? I thought it was great.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Hannibal

Agree with you on the score.

The film is one of Scott's better latter efforts.
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Hannibal

Really? I thought it was great.

the problem is that I was expecting a continuation of the Silence of the Lambs feel, and like many the brain scene changed a lot of opinions.

I never want to see this one again
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Great story and mood.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Princess Ka'iulani - Warbeck

Really nice score. Recommended.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: EXCALIBUR (Richard Wagner/Trevor Jones)

Oddball mix of Wagner and medieval music for a film whose tone I was never able to get, but tantalizing nonetheless.
    I am extremely serious.