• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2011
    Steven wrote
    Tintin John Williams

Finally beginning to enjoy this one! It's quite a relief actually.

Perhaps there is hope for me too then.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Bregje wrote
    NP: The Time Machine - Klaus Badelt

That has been a while!! Weird how I don't belong here was always my favourite piece. But now I prefer Godspeed.

:whitetiger:

'Godspeed' is one of Badelt's best cues ever. Love it.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Tintin John Williams

There could be! The problem I had with the first couple of listens or so was the themes - they didn't really jump out. But now I'm becoming more familiar with those themes, and actually enjoying them, it's finally all starting to make sense. Very enjoyable indeed. I can't wait to hear it in the film!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    That's interesting because all four major themes popped out immediately during my first listen!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I guess it's different for different people. I certainly knew from the outset that what I was hearing were themes, but admittedly I wasn't really in the mood for that type of score when I first heard it. The themes are good, and I really do like them... but this ain't no Jurassic Park (merely to cite one example of exemplary themes).

I'm just glad I'm starting to enjoy it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I understand. I'm flabbergasted that there isn't a Tintin Theme concert suite or something of the sort on the album to help listeners identify the major theme(s) right off the bat!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Tintin's themes didn't reveal themselves for me either until i saw the film. War horse is the more direct of the two but both works hold equal charms.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2011 edited
    Is anyone in love with "Sir Francis And The Unicorn" as much as I am?! Swashbuckling goodness and I've already played it 20 times! It's a classic, thematic action set piece that has long been missing in Williams' recent work!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Definitely! That was certainly one of the moments that immediately stood out for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: TINTIN (John Williams)

Yup, I also got my CD in the mail today. I like what I'm hearing, although it IS more of the INDY IV-type action music. He simply writes differently these days for this type of movie.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    I understand. I'm flabbergasted that there isn't a Tintin Theme concert suite or something of the sort on the album to help listeners identify the major theme(s) right off the bat!

-Erik-

And something Williams would have done back in the day. I miss those rerecorded albums.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Tintin John Williams

There could be! The problem I had with the first couple of listens or so was the themes - they didn't really jump out. But now I'm becoming more familiar with those themes, and actually enjoying them, it's finally all starting to make sense. Very enjoyable indeed. I can't wait to hear it in the film!

Scores that "creep up" on you can be real stayers, I can think of quite a few scores ( going back decades even ) that I didn't like at first but ended up loving. I'm off out soon but I'm definitely going to give TIN TIN another listen tomorrow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

And something Williams would have done back in the day. I miss those rerecorded albums.

Well, he still does it... just look at Crystal Skull. The first four tracks contain the scores central themes in concert form: Raiders March, Skull Theme, Irena's Theme and Mutt's Theme. Minus "Snowy's Theme" where are the concert suites for The Unicorn, Tintin and Haddock?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2011
    "Where are the concert suites for The Unicorn, Tintin and Haddock?"
    Good question! Would have been a big plus for the album and other arenas.
    But I'm still very impressed with Tintin. So many treasures to be found in it with each listen.
    And I love War Horse too! Williams is still bloody awesome!
    cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2011 edited
    christopher wrote
    CAMELOT - Dannas
    It sounded a little like some of the elven music from LOTR, with a few tracks of Indian music thrown in. It was pretty okay, but really didn't grab me.

You're more generous than I was.
    I didn't find it OK at all.
    Just very generic and disappointing (aside from some honestly excellent choral work).

Atham wrote
    "Where are the concert suites for The Unicorn, Tintin and Haddock?"
    Good question! Would have been a big plus for the album and other arenas.

Word!
    It''s just not an enjoyable listen on CD for me.
    (Frigging loved it in the movie! Complete and utter fun!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Damn and I was the one that recommended it to you...sorry about that mate, I found it very good honestly.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ZULU - John Barry

A need something loud and aggressive punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Aahh, Zulu. Now there's a theme that sticks in my head! .....which is no bad thing in this case! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Yep, such a unique theme, and it kicks behind.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

Back from weekend shopping then, I gather?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Back from weekend shopping then, I gather?

biggrin I am now, but no, I played that before leaving just in case I needed to be pumped up but my worries were unfounded and with such gorgeous Autumnal sunshine everyone was in a good mood.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Damn and I was the one that recommended it to you...sorry about that mate, I found it very good honestly.

smile Not to worry, dear boy.
    It's not a bad score by any means, and the truth is that I might conceivably enjoyed it more, had it not arrived in a package that also contained Tiomkins Fall Of The Roman Empire (it's too long, but by GOD, those themes are MAGNIFICENT), and the massive surprise of James Newton Howard's Restoration... shocked
    Thank you, Thor, for that recommendation! Thank you, thank you! I absolutely ADORE this. Absolutely gobsmackingly beautiful faux-Baroque score (with some great help from very true Baroque composer Henry Purcell....why don't I listen to his works more??? I used to love his work when I was 10-13... After that I never really revisited any of it.), with stunning, emotional themes galore.
    Absolutely LOVE it!
    One of my top three purchases for 2011.

...so you see, D.
    The competetion was almost unfairly stiff. smile
    I'll let it stew a bit and revisit the CD is some weeks time. I'm sure I'll be milder/more objective by then!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE MUSIC OF ITC - Edwin Astley, Ron Grainer, John Barry, Laurie Johnson, Ken Thorne and more....

Disc one, 6 tracks from Danger Man by Edwin Astley cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

smile Not to worry, dear boy.
    It's not a bad score by any means, and the truth is that I might conceivably enjoyed it more, had it not arrived in a package that also contained Tiomkins Fall Of The Roman Empire (it's too long, but by GOD, those themes are MAGNIFICENT), and the massive surprise of James Newton Howard's Restoration... shocked
    Thank you, Thor, for that recommendation! Thank you, thank you! I absolutely ADORE this. Absolutely gobsmackingly beautiful faux-Baroque score (with some great help from very true Baroque composer Henry Purcell....why don't I listen to his works more??? I used to love his work when I was 10-13... After that I never really revisited any of it.), with stunning, emotional themes galore.
    Absolutely LOVE it!
    One of my top three purchases for 2011.

Glad you liked it!

It's one of those early CD's I bought in the 90's when my exploration rate was sky high and despite trying to scale down my collection in recent years, this has alway been one of the keepers.

I think it's fabulous how it segues from JNH's contemporary score (but with some baroque tendencies) into Purcell's compositions. Pretty seamless.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Kimberly - Basil Poledouris

Gorgeous. Main theme is a Delerueian delight.
  1. Southall wrote

I love that race track, such an uplifting experience
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote

Indeed, somehow it reminds me of the theme from Maxie.

Peter smile
  2. Hans Zimmer - Hannibal

One of his very best scores. Romantic, scary, orchestral, classical-sounding. Great work. The dialogue actually works in it, a rare case.

The movie is some of Ridley's worst. I still don't get what happened on that one.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Hannibal

One of his very best scores. Romantic, scary, orchestral, classical-sounding. Great work. The dialogue actually works in it, a rare case.

The movie is some of Ridley's worst. I still don't get what happened on that one.

I really enjoyed the film, it's sick! The score is one of my Zimmer favourites.
  3. My problem isn't the graphic violence (it's a pastiche, I think). My problem is that the film visually falls apart after we leave Florence, like Ridley lost all his visual talent until the brain scene.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website