• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I like this score. Never seen the film - I may just keep it that way!

For the love of all that's Holy....please DO!

I would certainly like to own this soundtrack, though. Bloody good music in itself.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2011 edited
    JS: HANNA (2011)

What a fabulous film, easily among the Top 10 of 2011. Part JASON BOURNE, part KICK-ASS, but with its own set of aesthetic trademarks. Loved the more moody pieces, like when Hanna is leaning out the winnebago window, set against the sun with that beautiful Chemical Bros. ambiance (almost looked liked a scene from LOVELY BONES with the same actress).

I've already said many times that the score is one of my favourites of this year, and it was further cemented by seeing it in context. Fat beats, ethereal soundscapes (esp. the sparse opening cues) and cool industrial sounds.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2011
    Tintin

I've never been a fan of Tintin, but I enjoyed this movie immensely. The CG is truly impressive, perhaps the furthest from the 'Uncanny Valley' any film has ever got. Given just a few more years, it's surely going to become very hard to tell CG from reality, judging by this movie at least.

And once again I'm in awe of Spielberg's handle on action scenes. Spielberg clearly revelled in the freedom of motion capture. The music is equally as brilliant and has only furthered my appreciation for Williams' score.

Essentially this is the kind of movie Crystal Skull should have been. (In terms of story, pacing, adventure and music.)
  1. Thor wrote
    JS: HANNA (2011)

What a fabulous film, easily among the Top 10 of 2011. Part JASON BOURNE, part KICK-ASS, but with its own set of aesthetic trademarks. Loved the more moody pieces, like when Hanna is leaning out the winnebago window, set against the sun with that beautiful Chemical Bros. ambiance (almost looked liked a scene from LOVELY BONES with the same actress).

I've already said many times that the score is one of my favourites of this year, and it was further cemented by seeing it in context. Fat beats, ethereal soundscapes (esp. the sparse opening cues) and cool industrial sounds.

I think it's a score that works brilliantly in the film and doesn't necessarily come across as nicely on album. (For me. I would've enjoyed it more with more of the whistling theme featured, as in the film.)
    But certainly it was the trippiest film I saw this year. Highlights:
    1. Dance club lighting as Hanna escape Marisa's compound
    2. The strange interrogation scene in the container park, right up to the moment where one of the hippy family finally breaks.
    3. The man in the shorts and his whistling tribute to Lang's M.
    4. The dockside battle between Hanna and the thugs.
    5. Marisa's teeth.
    6. Just the general tone... subtext and text are truly one in this bizarre concoction. Pretty much from the first action scene, I giggled the whole way.
    7. Random unmotivated tributes to a number of cinema classics, including at least a couple of Godards, Trois Coleurs Bleu and, of course, Lang's M.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2011
    Good points....also the ripe symbolism, almost too evident for its own good (like all the elements in the abandoned fairytale park, Marisa emanating from the mouth of a wolf, the events inside Hans & Gretel's house etc.).
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Yes, that's part of the humour for me. There's not a symbol left untouched in HANNA. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2011
    Yeah, but who needs it to make sense when it's visual. cheesy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2011 edited
    THIS BOARD!

Apparantly there was 170 "guests" just now which has just dropped to 55 "guests"......I guess I just can't hold an audience single handed slant wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2011
    5 "guests" now, I am big fail!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Last night...

SUPER 8

A good homage to 1980's Spielberg films, a combined dose of The Goonies, E.T., even Jaws, the ending was a bit too saccharine overleaden and the train crash was incredibly OTT.....that much destruction from hitting a truck? Get the fook! Michael Giacchino's score was okay, nothing special but it doesn't offend.

6/10

RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

Really, REALLY enjoyed this and not just because they CGI'd the apes bottoms to look more presentable wink The one downside was Patrick Doyle's horrible MV/RC inspired drival, enough already! slant

8.5/10
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    The one downside was Patrick Doyle's horrible MV/RC inspired drival, enough already!

I still can't hear any Zimmer/MV/RC in this or Thor!
  3. At least in Apes, Doyle was inspired to use synths to represent the world of science in the film, and the other stuff he puts (the ostrich egg, the african choir, and cage sounds) fits very well to the story. And the best thing: He uses woodwinds, a lot of MV scores doesn't have them.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2011
    CONAN THE BARBARIAN ( 2011 )

cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0030168/

Not a bad film from Monogram. The price is extremely attractive.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

cry

...why?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

cry

...why?

Because as a young teenager I read Robert E. Howard's books and then all the Marvel comics adaptations and loved the character.

Did I mention the score?

Neither Conan nor Basil Poledouris can cry so I cry for both of them cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

Because as a young teenager I read Robert E. Howard's books and then all the Marvel comics adaptations and loved the character.

Precisely, so why did you watch this film?

(wink)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    because by some minute chance critics got it wrong?

suicide
  4. THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

Don't know how much I've already watched this but the first time on blu-ray. Really, I can't imagine the original trilogy looking and sounding any better than on this format. As for Empire, what is stupendously awesome Star Wars flick is made even better by the image quality, especially the scenes in space look jaw-dropping, anything involving miniatures and matte paintings looks the business. There's added detail I never noticed in the craft designs and interiors. The sound blew me away as well, it comes pretty close to most modern sound mixes, and the Millennium Falcon flyby's never get old. Oh and can I just say that the score is probably my favourite ever by John.

I've felt every emotion known to man watching this flick again.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2011
    The only way I'll be willing to spend more money on these films is if they release the original theatrical versions on blu-ray. Until then, Lucas can suck it.
  5. I'm a fan of Star Wars, but not in the way that I consider the special editions blasphemy. There are subtle improvements that don't get in the way of enjoying them. I just don't get, but then I don't have too many memories of the original versions. I've basically begun watching these films a lot from when they were re-released in the cinema (1997).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'd still be able to enjoy them for sure, but Lucas's incessant need to take repeated shits over these films is the reason I'd rather just wait for the original versions.

I'm so glad that Lucas had nothing to do with the Back To The Future trilogy. I would wage jihad upon anyone who dares to put CGI in those films!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Talking of JNH I just had the misfortune to (barely) sit through LADY IN THE WATER.

Utter, complete junk...RUBBISH!

JNH's score is the only redeaming feature of this turd.

Thank you!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2011 edited
    Jim Ware wrote
    The one downside was Patrick Doyle's horrible MV/RC inspired drival, enough already!

I still can't hear any Zimmer/MV/RC in this or Thor!

Seriously? Doyle's 2 major scores for this year were horrible and cheap Zimmer clones. Especially Thor's dramatic Zimmeresque chord procession is out of the text-book.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Talking of JNH I just had the misfortune to (barely) sit through LADY IN THE WATER.

Thank you!

All I remember about it is some guy who looked like JNH got mauled by a giant rabid dog. Oh, and there was a swimming pool with a cave inside it? I dunno. Love the score though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    JS: BIUTIFUL (2011)

A good film, but not all that they've made it out to be. Bardem is solid, as always, but the depiction of underworld Barcelona is a little too broadly painted for good measure, IMO. But there's some cool parallellism going on between the situation and fate of the Bardem character, the Chinese workers and the Senegalese immigrant. It has an eerie undercurrent with that whole "I see dead people" thing, but I'm not sure it adds anything to the story. Could have been more focussed, thematically.

JS: KILLER ELITE (2011)

Forgettable action film with Stratham, De Niro, Owen etc. By the numbers.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

Thank you!

All I remember about it is some guy who looked like JNH got mauled by a giant rabid dog. Oh, and there was a swimming pool with a cave inside it? I dunno. Love the score though.

And there's a painfully idiotic and long scene in the bathroom with a Shyamalan cameo towards the end of the movie that makes you want to shoot the tv.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2011 edited
    Having a 2011 movie marathon weekend to deliver a Top 20 list by Monday.

JS: DRIVE (2011)

Reading all the 'disappointment' by mainstream audiences in advance (because it wasn't FAST AND THE FURIOUS 8 or whatever) coloured me excited, but I've always been torn on Winding Rrefn in the past. However, this was unquestionably his most accesible movie and a delightful, slow take on the action genre. His long still shots are the trademarks, of course, and Gosling's almost emotion-less character was wonderful. Albert Brooks did a mean mafia boss too! Martinez' score was already one of my favourites this year before I had even seen the movie.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2011
    Hugo

In one word: boring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2011
    RV: Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

Saw the midnight premiere. Very good film!