• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2011
    franz_conrad wrote
    The scene with the French colonists is fantastic. That version of the film is a little long, but there's no weak material in it, for me.

It also underscores the whole absurdity of the sitation, a group of people clinging on to archaic traditions as the world falls apart around them (which has often been explored in film and literature over the years). It actually makes the material SURROUNDING that sequence all the more powerful, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The difference between you and me, Timmer? I want to MAKE movies, so I should be a self-aware film historian.

If you want to be a good film critic, you pretty much have to be a self-aware film historian. But not always on the production side. It's more helpful to some people than to others. Scorsese likes to make his editor watch old films all the time in the editing room to inform creative choices. What little I hear of Fincher as a director says that he's heavy on references too. But there are as many, if not more, who discovered a distinctive approach without that frame of reference.

(ps. Bergman couldn't stand CITIZEN KANE. Any more than Welles could stand him.)

Well, Bergman was an opinionated fellow. He disliked Antonioni too, who is one of my favourite directors. Nor Godard. But he DID like Spielberg, which is a redeeming factor. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Watched a British thriller from 1956 called Lost, a film about the kidnapping of an 18 month child.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Watched a British thriller from 1956 called Lost, a film about the kidnapping of an 18 month child.

Along very similar lines, Tom, I would really recommend Bryan Forbes SEANCE ON A WET AFTERNOON, a 1964 film starring Richard Attenborough ( in one of his creepy roles ) about the kidnapping and ransom of a child but with an interesting twist, the film also features a very good though sparse score from John Barry.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    The scene with the French colonists is fantastic. That version of the film is a little long, but there's no weak material in it, for me.

It also underscores the whole absurdity of the sitation, a group of people clinging on to archaic traditions as the world falls apart around them (which has often been explored in film and literature over the years). It actually makes the material SURROUNDING that sequence all the more powerful, IMO.

Yeah, I love that sequence too, but it is that that I was referring too when I mentioned that maybe certain things in Redux are a bit too long.

But I love both versions of the film.
  1. Happy Feet 2

I liked it. Not better than the second one, but I wish it we're more musicals like this,instead of the Glee/High School Musical teen crap. There's not too many songs as the first one, the score is the primary thing on the movie. Powell uses the main penguin theme from the first one in the most dramatic scenes. And like the first one, there's huge choral writing (Trapped In Emperor Land and Tapping To Freedom are examples).

This is the first time I saw a film in IMAX, and it was amazing.

By the way, I loved that they we're playing Deathly Hallows Part 2's score before of the screening.
  2. STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE

I've seen this one lots of times and my appreciation for it has steadily risen over the years. For some reason it's being called 'The Motionless Picture', something I simply cannot agree with. This sci-fi adventure moves along at a very gentle pace, one that has become so rare in today's movies, but it never becomes boring. The viewer has time to take in all the wonderful images, listen to the majestic score by someone called J. Goldsmith (who???? doesn't ring a bell...), in short let himself take part in a audiovisually astounding space adventure.

I've never stopped loving the chemistry of the original Trek cast, there are little character moments here and there between Shatner/Kelley/Nimoy that make me smile everytime. I love it for its slow pace, mesmerizing adventure into the unknown. This first film in the series really embodies the spirit of Star Trek, more than any other I come to think of now.

Special effects may be dated, but dear me, they still are as magical and wonderful to gaze upon as when I first saw this. It's the design actually, one of such alien and futuristic genius it never fails to make my jaw drop. To know that some real visual effects legends such as Douglas Trumbull worked on this film makes a lot of sense.

And the music, my god that J. Goldsmith really captured the essence of grand operatic writing in its various themes. Kirk flying to the Enterprise is the most wonderfully scored love scene of a man with a spacecraft ever. Also, the cloud music is without a doubt some of the most chilling and spectacular ever written. Now I have to ask what else this man has written? He might be worth looking into. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2011 edited
    I agree, Gilles. It's my favourite of the STAR TREKs. I love the slow pace, the loooong vista shots that are more about the audiovisuals than storytelling. Perfectly designed to let Goldsmith soar too.

But I always LOL at those people in orange suits floating around space in every other scene. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2011
    Finishing up the serial The Green Hornet Strikes Again.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE

I've seen this one lots of times and my appreciation for it has steadily risen over the years. For some reason it's being called 'The Motionless Picture', something I simply cannot agree with. This sci-fi adventure moves along at a very gentle pace, one that has become so rare in today's movies, but it never becomes boring. The viewer has time to take in all the wonderful images, listen to the majestic score by someone called J. Goldsmith (who???? doesn't ring a bell...), in short let himself take part in a audiovisually astounding space adventure.

I've never stopped loving the chemistry of the original Trek cast, there are little character moments here and there between Shatner/Kelley/Nimoy that make me smile everytime. I love it for its slow pace, mesmerizing adventure into the unknown. This first film in the series really embodies the spirit of Star Trek, more than any other I come to think of now.

Special effects may be dated, but dear me, they still are as magical and wonderful to gaze upon as when I first saw this. It's the design actually, one of such alien and futuristic genius it never fails to make my jaw drop. To know that some real visual effects legends such as Douglas Trumbull worked on this film makes a lot of sense.

And the music, my god that J. Goldsmith really captured the essence of grand operatic writing in its various themes. Kirk flying to the Enterprise is the most wonderfully scored love scene of a man with a spacecraft ever. Also, the cloud music is without a doubt some of the most chilling and spectacular ever written. Now I have to ask what else this man has written? He might be worth looking into. cheesy

It was ME who continually calls it The MotionLESS Picture biggrin wink ( though I can't imagine some critics of the time missing a trick on calling that one ).

I believe Goldsmith called it his 'Vaughan Williams' score and the ominously mysterious cloud music certainly bares similarities to the great mans work.

Anyway, to say this score is FANTASTIC doesn't do it justice enough, IMO this is JG's magnus-opus, I'm still as thrilled by this score today as when I first heard it in 1979, if this film wasn't so un-moving this score wouldn't be the classic it's considered today, Thor is spot on that this film allowed Goldsmith's score to soar unhindered.

p.s. I actually do enjoy the film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2011 edited
    I think as a film it's terrible fare. Ponderous and pompous.
    Visually stunning and musically magnificent, and those aspects I enjoy almost beyond measure.
    But for the rest....ugh! It was supposed to be a 50 minute pilot for a second Star Trek series run, but it got stretched to two hours...and it shows!

For the old skool Trek vibe I greatly favour 2 and 6 for excitement, and 3 and.....5 (!) for that wonderful interaction. (Don't shoot me! For its zillions of flaws, in Trek 5 Shatner to my mind absolutely nailed the relation and interaction between McCoy, Kirk and Spock.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    AGREE!

ST 5 is very poor but for all that it still exudes great warmth.
  3. Yes, Trek IV and V are the ones which holds the most enjoyable interactions between the three main dudes.

But the first pompous? OK if you want to call it that... it works incredibly on my imagination and sci-fi like this they can give me three times a day, not counting the main dish and desert which follows. lick

I take it you don't love 2001 A Space Odyssey either?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Yes, Trek IV and V are the ones which holds the most enjoyable interactions between the three main dudes.

But the first pompous? OK if you want to call it that... it works incredibly on my imagination and sci-fi like this they can give me three times a day, not counting the main dish and desert which follows. lick

I take it you don't love 2001 A Space Odyssey either?

That's like comparing an absolute classic to an extended Tv episo..........oh, 'ang on a sec!? dizzy
  4. On satellite channel Film4 now: all three Omen films on one after the other. Lee Remick had just failed to catch the goldfish bowl so I have missed a lot of the original The Omen, but Damien: Omen II and The Final Conflict are still to come.

A Jerry Goldsmith film-fest!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. A fantastic timelapse montage of locations in the new incredible looking videogame: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Get totally mesmerized while watching by listening to Jeremy Soule's beautiful and haunting music. love
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2011 edited
    Anyone seen this?

It looks like one of the greatest movies of all time. Must. see. this.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2011 edited
    plindboe wrote
    Anyone seen this?

It looks like the greatest movies of all time. Must. see. this.

Peter smile

Robert Englund back in monster costume! Looks like B-movie fun.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2011
    biggrin Much the same thing went through my mind.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2011
    L'Aventures Extraordinaires D'Adèle Blanc-Sec

Based on Tardi's acclaimed series of French graphic novels, this film is a very enjoyable romp indeed.
    It follows the adventures of tough-as-nails pre investigative journalist Adèle Blanc-Sec (the name is a pun on wine, meaning "white-dry") and her adventures in Paris just before the first World War.

This particular film, based on the first of the novels and the suggested first part of a trilogy, involves Adèle searching the globe for a cure for her sister who suffered a terrible tennis accident. Encounters involve a pterodactylus being brought to life as well as some of the most polite mummies I have ever seen.

The script is fun, with an emphasis on the adventurous and the heavy tongue-in-cheek. The settings are top notch (with CGI Paris of a hundred years ago far better than earlier French attempts to break into the serious digital Special Effects scene).
    Louise Bourgoin is radiant in the lead, and the score by Eric Serra just jumps on the bandwagon of fun, being at times so lush as to be almost pastiche-like, but continuously fitting and entertaining.

I have just two niggles: first of all Tardi works in a LOT of very strong political and societal criticism in his work (and he really knows what he's talking about too), taking a very strong stand against the French political and military attitude towards and in the first World War (I cannot recommend his "Loopgravenoorlog"-translated in English as "It Was The War Of The Trenches"- highly enough!!!). But sadly this very strong dimension is diluted to almost nothing in the film, which focuses rather on outrageous Indiana Jones like aspects. Fun though it is, it does a disservice to Tardi's writing).

Secondly Bourgoin is FAR too beautiful for the title role. Adèle is basically a very unlikeable character. She's sarcastic, headstrong, unkind. Bitter, even. To have that played by a woman as beautiful as Bourgoin gives a completely different vibe to the character and her attitude than a plainer girl would have offered.

But all in all I had fun, and if a trilogy is made, I will be more than happy to go watch the two sequels!
  6. There are some good tracks on the score for this.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Watching Top Gear on Dave at the moment. They are driving their Toyota to the North Pole and Ennio Morricone's The Thing is on the soundtrack.

That show sometimes has some good film music selections featured.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2011
    Saw the George Clooney film The Descendants with my friend today. A soap opera for sure but it did have it moments on dealing with dying. Overall I wasn't impressed but my friend liked it.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hugo

Very good film, visually exquisite. I've read criticism of the music, but it was brilliant in the film, and a key part of its success. It did sound a little repetitive - perhaps that will be a problem on the album, but Shore did a good job in the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I find myself getting harder to please as far as film is concerned.
    Tom
  8. plindboe wrote
    Anyone seen this?

Peter smile

I've seen it some time ago, enjoyable enough movie, if you enjoy the campy'ness. At least the make-up's real and not digitally

fun score as well smile

6 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2011
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Anyone seen this?

Peter smile

I've seen it some time ago, enjoyable enough movie, if you enjoy the campy'ness. At least the make-up's real and not digitally

You guys talk about me but there is not one mention to the name of the movie. Yes there is a link.
    Tom

fun score as well smile

6 out of 10
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2011
    yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2011 edited
    JS: ONE NIGHT WITH THE KING (2006)

My God, what a turkey trash of a film! It was so bad that I had to struggle hard to make it all the way through.

I sought it out because I love historical epics and because of the acting talent involved, mainly John Noble (one of my favourite actors), but also Peter O'Toole, Omar Sharif, John Rhys-Davies and James Callis. But that didn't help AT ALL. Stilted, pompous dialogue, gaudy costumes and sets and incredibly clichéed moments. And the acting performances by the king and queen seemed like they were pulled right out of daytime soap. The film came off as a cross between a Hallmark TV production and a Fox Faith production.

So enough about the film.

The score....well, in the film it was certainly instrumental in dragging the thing down. Overwrought, saccharine and conventional at all the wrong moments. HOWEVER, as "pure" music it was very good. I can certainly see this working well as a soundtrack album, if you completely disregard the travesty it was written for. Boldly symphonic, romantic and exotic all at once.

So this is one of the cases where there's a HUGE gap in quality between the film (and the music as it works in the film) and how it works on a soundtrack.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. I like this score. Never seen the film - I may just keep it that way!