• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2009 edited
    L'Armée Du Crime (2009) Alexandre Desplat

Dark, quirky and stressing tension-building music with a constant isocrates on the same scale. Total duration of the Desplat score is 21 minutes, the rest is source music (from Bach to Mozart, etc). Instrumentation is string-led and with piano of course, with added percussion section (small one, subtly rhythmic) and dulcimer at places. Not particularly melodic although organic, orchestral and small-scale, this intimate score will sound familiar to those already knowledgeable on Desplat's older, obscure little French scores but will more likely echo as odd to the rest. Good elements are the constant rhythmic basis and overall coherence though, one piece flows naturally into the next (stylistically and musically) sounding as a big suite overall but i doubt it's something i will personally return to frequently.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2009
    NP: CUTTHROAT ISLAND COMPLETE - John Debney

Blimey, this is good. cool
  1. lp wrote
    NP: Turtle: The Incredible Journey - Hehning Lohner

Melodic, colorful, and, (at times, intimate) orchestral score. I didn't quite expect this from the guy who previous works included scores for Uwe Boll films and slasher thriller...

It is nice to hear something different from this composer.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Atham wrote
    NP: Mao's Last Dancer - Christopher Gordon

Another winner from Gordon!
    Elegant, rich, thematically diverse and very beautiful.
    It's so reassuring to know there are still a few composers out there that can produce such works.
    I think I'll play On the Beach next. I'm in a Chris Gordon phase yet again! cool

Indeed. Haven't understood though if all those fragments of classical pieces in there, piano and all, are his or classical source material. I find them a bit disconnecting as a listening experience and annoying at places.

There's only 5 tracks that aren't by him, and all of them sound like classical ballet standards (which they are). The piano exercises you refer to is a book of piano dance exercises Gordon had to write for some practice scenes in the film. (If they sound like classical pastiche from different eras, that was the idea. Mind you, that was how the love theme came about...) On the album, the composer who is credited with the pieces is Sirhc Nodrog, and it won't take too sharp a mind to figure out who that is. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    An upcoming new release from Silva called Red Cliff, a John Woo film. The composer is Iwashiro.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Atham wrote

It's so reassuring to know there are still a few composers out there that can produce such works.
    I think I'll play On the Beach next. I'm in a Chris Gordon phase yet again! cool

Indeed. Haven't understood though if all those fragments of classical pieces in there, piano and all, are his or classical source material. I find them a bit disconnecting as a listening experience and annoying at places.

There's only 5 tracks that aren't by him, and all of them sound like classical ballet standards (which they are). The piano exercises you refer to is a book of piano dance exercises Gordon had to write for some practice scenes in the film. (If they sound like classical pastiche from different eras, that was the idea. Mind you, that was how the love theme came about...) On the album, the composer who is credited with the pieces is Sirhc Nodrog, and it won't take too sharp a mind to figure out who that is. wink

Those make the listening experience drag greatly in the middle. Program them out. Enjoy.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS - James Horner

Early Horner score that's a lot of fun cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : FIRST BLOOD - Jerry Goldsmith

Superb! JG still shows the way in how these type of films should be scored.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LEGEND - Jerry Goldsmith

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WATERSHIP DOWN - Angela Morley

Absolutely brilliant score!!! I doubt many would agree but I'll take this style of animation scoring over the crop of scoring in recent years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Reflections of Earth - Gavin Greenaway

Take some chocolate, dip it in some honey then sprinkle sugar on it. Take a bag of marshmallows, melt them over the top, add more sugar to it, caramelize the surface and serve with ice cream.

That's a recipe for something far less saccharine than what I'm listening to at the moment.
  3. Christodoulides wrote

Those make the listening experience drag greatly in the middle. Program them out. Enjoy.

Sometimes I enjoy it. Sometimes I don't. I find the pastiche of each musical era rather funny.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Atham wrote

Well I'm quite sure Sirhc Nodrog is every bit (and in every possible way) as good a composer as Christopher Gordon. They must have worked VERY closely together on this project! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Turning Point: Fall Of Liberty - Michael Giacchino

I feel like listening to something aggressive and harsh. And this delivers the goods.
    Its ominous Goldsmithian tonality hearkens back to 70s suspense/action scoring.
    It's great stuff when you're in the right frame for it.
    I'm surprised more people don't comment on this one!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Atham wrote

I feel like listening to something aggressive and harsh. And this delivers the goods.

Hmm, it says you posted that 23 hours ago! dizzy

Clearly it's taking into account time difference between Australia and Britain.
  4. Steven wrote

Funny, I've just posted a similar comment over "Off Topic"!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Is there some quantum mechanics thing going on??? cheesy
  5. "Salem's Lot"
    Harry Suckman
    , R.I.P.

A personal favorite score of mine. Made a suite and put it up just now, for those interested:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLLHxJrqn5A
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A good memory laner Justin, very Herrmannesque. It would make a very worthwhile CD release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2009 edited
    I was playing: K2 (Zimmer)

I was doing trekking. The score was perfect!

Zimmer did an incredible (an early) job in this score. Mixing real ochestra, ethnic pipes and synthetisers. It's the goodfather of the media ventures style.

Great use the electric guitars in the background to create a sense of deep as the lanscapes has.

NP:Nest (from Transformers 2)

the only real good track in the whole score. And it's probably by Zimmer cool
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote

the only real good track in the whole score.

You're kidding. There isn't a single redeeming quality about that score apart from when it finishes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Nuovo Cinama Paradiso - Ennio Morricone

No wonder some people says it's the most beautiful music in the world... this is absolutely beautiful! All themes are touching, including Andrea Morricone's Love Theme. It's hard to choose the favorite of all, but I love Toto & Alfredo theme the most (actually I loved it even before I noticed it's by Morricone, when it's used in TV commercial). The violin is so melodic and beautiful.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2009 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote

the only real good track in the whole score.

You're kidding. There isn't a single redeeming quality about that score apart from when it finishes.

Yes, this track With Limkin park theme arranged by Zimmer in a Guilty pleasure way.

Anyway, i tried to watch the movie again yesterday, and I was bored, Offended and vomit

It's one of the worst movies I ever seen. How I said, give all the money that made Revenge of the fallen in the box office to G.I Joe wich really deserves to be the blockbuster.

NP:Hanckoc (powell)

There are 25 minutes of pure Gold here. Specilly everytime the love theme is played ( I mean, the theme between Smith and Theron, no the "good feeling" theme )

SUV chase, Mary brings the meatballs, Getting therapy, To the war, Hollywood Blvd, Death and transfiguration (with one of the greates matches between images and music in the last years) , the moon and the superhero.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Atham wrote
    as good a composer as Christopher Gordon.

hmmmm
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Atham wrote

Clearly it's taking into account time difference between Australia and Britain.

Absolutely love that Giacchino, more please and less-to-none oddness and quirkiness.

n.p. ROLFE KENT - sideways

The best way to start your Sunday morning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The 5-Man Army - Ennio Morricone

What a theme! The best way to start your Sunday morning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    The 5-Man Army - Ennio Morricone

What a theme! The best way to start your Sunday morning.

Better than cool, smooth jazz?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jeepers Creepers 2 Bennett Salvay

A surprisingly good score! Very much for fans of modern action scoring, with a hint of adventure. Really enjoy this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    House of Cards - J.R. Horner

I really like this. Excellent. I was trying to work out what the opening track reminded me of (ie what other Horner score it appears in). I think it's Beyond Borders.