• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2009
    Steven wrote
    The Witches of Eastwick John Williams

'The Seduction of Suki and The Ballroom Scene'.... love

I love that score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's because you have ears that work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2009 edited
    Mao's Last Dancer - Christopher Gordon

First listen...

The score opens up with some pretty standard (and some might say cliche) far east sounds, which are appropriate for the film's location. Classical ballet music is featured throughout the album - again very appropriate for the film's subject matter but I could honestly do without it. Those pieces should have been regulated to the end of the album because it's sucks the dramatic life out of Gordon's gorgeous score. For instance, we go from the stunningly beautiful violin solo of "Dance Of Longing" to Ludwig Minkus' "Don Qixote" which just hits you over the head like a ton of bricks and complete takes you out of the moment emotionally. I think that on my second go around I'm skipping the classical music.

Back to Gordon's score: As we reach the middle portions of the album to the end the music is dominated by dramatic strings, piano and traditional Oriental instrumentation. Gordon's score reminds of parts from Pavilion of Woman and parts Memoirs of a Geisha but not as over the top - the only time Gordon lets loose is during the latter half of the superb and spine-tingling "Village Dance and Finale" where Gordon's signature symphonic colors really come to life!

Mao's Last Dance is an exotic combination of western and eastern elements featuring many erhu, cello, violin and piano soli ("Pas de Deux" is excellent) - but when Gordon adds on the layers of the symphony orchestra - especially the strings - he hits all the right spots emotionally. A thoughtful, melodic and mostly restrained score from one of the most talent film composers working today.

Excellent music!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Excellent review, made me instantly interested! Thanks, will try to find it, i certainly have to listen to this!

As for his Talents and uniqueness comments, i completely agree.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    .... the only time Gordon lets loose is during the latter half of the superb and spine-tingling "Village Dance and Finale" where Gordon's signature symphonic colors really come to life!

I think there's a bit of letting loose in the mock propaganda ballet finale 'Madame Mao's Model Ballet' too. wink
    Also 'Becoming a Dancer' is where the main theme gets its most exhilarating treatment for me. (Very much in the spirit of other training montage cues in films - e.g. 'Becoming a Geisha'.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2009
    Steven wrote
    The Witches of Eastwick John Williams

'The Seduction of Suki and The Ballroom Scene'.... love

...is up there with the greatest of Williams pieces, one of those tracks that can stand on it's own.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: JEREMIAH JOHNSON (John Rubinstein)

As you'd expect this is a very western sounding featuring the violin, small orchestra, and some vocal material. I remember seeing the movie but haven't revisited it for a long time. This isn't spacious like Big Country but I do like it.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    .... the only time Gordon lets loose is during the latter half of the superb and spine-tingling "Village Dance and Finale" where Gordon's signature symphonic colors really come to life!

I think there's a bit of letting loose in the mock propaganda ballet finale 'Madame Mao's Model Ballet' too. wink
    Also 'Becoming a Dancer' is where the main theme gets its most exhilarating treatment for me. (Very much in the spirit of other training montage cues in films - e.g. 'Becoming a Geisha'.)

Indeed. Listening to it a second time and you are correct.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Book of Blood - Guy Farley
    Just awful. Colourless, generic, bland - all those words. On a par with The Flock for tedious, frustrating listening.
    Why do they release this stuff? confused

On to Trick 'r' Treat - Douglas Pipes
    At least there's some life in this, a bit of movement. Something that actually sounds like music for the most part.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    MICHAEL KAMEN - Brazil

Simply brilliant, charming, passionate and sexy, this is film music at its best.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    MICHAEL KAMEN - Brazil

Simply brilliant, charming, passionate and sexy, this is film music at its best.

Indeed, plus Kate Bush gorgeous version of the song cool tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Michael Giacchino - Medal of Honor: Airborne

GREAT score, rhythm, themes, everything. You can say by this score why Giacchino majored in history (and film production, but that's irrelevant here). He's so passionate about it. Now at the Wreckage of Nijmegen track, which ingeniously shows the tragedy of the botched Market Garden operation.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Return to Neverland - Joel McNeely

Parts of this score are roughly analogous to being high.

Except that it's somewhat more legal.

And there are no side-effects*.

*except perhaps the side-effect of realizing that certain other scores that I used to appreciate more are actually crap
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    sdtom wrote
    NP: JEREMIAH JOHNSON (John Rubinstein)

As you'd expect this is a very western sounding featuring the violin, small orchestra, and some vocal material. I remember seeing the movie but haven't revisited it for a long time. This isn't spacious like Big Country but I do like it.
    Thomas

There is a lot of repeating of the main theme. I've decided to review.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2009 edited
    NP: Angels and Demons ~ Hans Zimmer

I've been through a difficult phase and this score became its soundtrack. Espacially Science and Religion became a constant listening. I follow the title track. I put faith both to science and God and things worked out. smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Things are looking up for you now Stavi?
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Thank God Tim things are getting better a step at a time. smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP: MEDAL OF HONOR - Michael Giacchino

"The Jet Aircraft Facility" is the best Medal Of Honor cue there out there. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Stavroula wrote
    Thank God Tim things are getting better a step at a time. smile

I'm glad to hear that, I'll not ask the whys and wherefores just that you are doing good is enough cool

NP : THE ROCKETEER - James Horner

....and as Barry Normal used to say...'and why not'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote

"The Jet Aircraft Facility" is the best Medal Of Honor cue there out there. cool

It's pretty goddamn amazing isn't it!!! I can still remember the first time I heard this score. I was on a bus heading home from Toronto to Hamilton, spinning it in my old CD Walkman with the same pair of Sony headphones I own now and being absolutely blow away by what I was hearing! I didn't really expect the hear what I did. I still consider it one of the Top 10 scores ever written and is a style I wish Giacchino would return to. And the V2 theme... Oh baby... WHAT. A. THEME. Thank God Giacchino brought it back in his Allied Assault score and was most definitely the highlight for me when I attended the sessions and heard "V2's at Remagen" for the first time.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : A BEAUTIFUL MIND - James Horner

A favourite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Drag me to Hell

An instant classic for Halloween season.

I can't think in any better score.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

It's pretty goddamn amazing isn't it!!! I can still remember the first time I heard this score. I was on a bus heading home from Toronto to Hamilton, spinning it in my old CD Walkman with the same pair of Sony headphones I own now and being absolutely blow away by what I was hearing! I didn't really expect the hear what I did. I still consider it one of the Top 10 scores ever written and is a style I wish Giacchino would return to. And the V2 theme... Oh baby... WHAT. A. THEME. Thank God Giacchino brought it back in his Allied Assault score and was most definitely the highlight for me when I attended the sessions and heard "V2's at Remagen" for the first time.

-Erik-

Where's the V2 theme in Allied Assault? confused

Edit: Sorry, it's the "Schmerzen" cue. Doh! rolleyes wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Where's the V2 theme in Allied Assault? confused

Edit: Sorry, it's the "Schmerzen" cue. Doh! rolleyes wink

The track is called "V2's at Remagen" or at least that's what it's called on my copy. wink

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Even more interesting (edit: geeky) is the "Halftrack Chase" cue from Frontline. It's not used in the game, and there isn't a halftrack chase to speak of. There's just a "The mission continues.." screen featuring concept art of a halftrack chase after the manor house level where the cue should have slotted in.

It is however featured in exactly that type of scenario Medal Of Honor Spearhead, the expansion pack to Allied Assault released 6 months after Frontline.

I wonder if the level was simply cut from Frontline or Spearhead was already in the making at the time Giacchino came on board. It fits the level perfectly too, so it was either written at the same time as the Frontline score or the developers based the level around the cue very carefully.

Now that is a geeky thing to know!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Very geeky, actually! wink
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2009
    Spent a bit of time on trains today, which gave chance to listen to...

A very fine album. Some beautiful music here. Deserves to be heard by a lot of people. Fans of Memoirs of a Geisha would be unlikely to be disappointed.

The Informant - Marvin Hamlisch

Having said the above... this remains my favourite of 2009 so far.

The Perfect Storm - James Horner

It doesn't half go on a bit. Very entertaining though.

Illuminations: Reflections of Earth - Gavin Greenaway

Simply magnificent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote

It doesn't half go on a bit.

You make it sound like a bad thing?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    MICHAEL KAMEN - Brazil

Indeed, plus Kate Bush gorgeous version of the song cool tongue

Absolutely stunning, score and song.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Spent a bit of time on trains today, which gave chance to listen to...

A very fine album. Some beautiful music here. Deserves to be heard by a lot of people. Fans of Memoirs of a Geisha would be unlikely to be disappointed.

The Informant - Marvin Hamlisch

Having said the above... this remains my favourite of 2009 so far.

It doesn't half go on a bit. Very entertaining though.

Illuminations: Reflections of Earth - Gavin Greenaway

Simply magnificent.

Interesting! How's THE INFORMANT and ILLUMINATIONS, James? Haven't heard them yet.