• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2009
    NP: Small Soldiers, The Game - Michael Giacchino
    An excellent early score from Giacchino with all the elements of his trademark style. The theme in particular is classic Giacchino video game sound, similar to some of the subthemes from the Medal of Honor series. And the small male chorus adds an element of uniqueness.

I only wish this was available with better sound...the version I have is 320kbps MP3 but it sounds like it was upconverted from something like 96kbps... slant
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Close Encounters... (Williams)

The whole score, though, is one of Williams best scores.

I agree! I'd love to see some sort of discussion about Roy Neary's motivations at the end of the film. Steven, Erik - any views?

Lots, yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: The Time Traveler's Wife - Mychael Danna
    Classic Danna, only without the abundance of ethnic elements that we often hear from him. The main theme is brief and subtle, takes a few listens to get familiar with it, but afterwards becomes hauntingly wistful.

The score is basically a longer, slower, more melancholy version of Being Julia. I like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2009 edited
    it seems after my Goldsmith mood, I have a Williams mood....

NP:Jaws (25th aniversary realease)

My first listen , ever! (in any realease).

It is so good like people says?

PS: I always though the movie was overrated and ultimatly boring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Nautilus wrote
    it seems after my Goldsmith mood, I have a Williams mood....

It is so good like people says?

Before a dozen people start acting shocked, I have also never listened to this score, except for the one time I saw the film.

So you are not alone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You've never listened to Jaws?! You're a bad person. Look at how shocked I'm acting!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    You've never listened to Jaws?! You're a bad person. Look at how shocked I'm acting!

You didn't use the shocked
    Therefore, you cannot possibly be shocked.
    wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Nautilus wrote

shocked Get that man to a doctor asap ! wink biggrin
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote

I have never listened it neither. As for the film, I wouldn´t say it is overrated. Maybe a bit cheesy nowadays, but the first appearance of the shark with Williams´theme is still one of the highlights of the history of cinema.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Nautilus wrote

Word.
    Watching it in 2006, it's just like OMG ITS A GIANT SHARK rolleyes
    It has about the same low suspense-buildup to payoff ratio as Signs has.
    i.e. so much time spent building up the suspense only to have something that is completely unworthy of all the suspense. giant puppet sharks in Jaws, cliched aliens that are killed by water in Signs.

The only difference is, Signs isn't about the suspense, it's about the characters and their reactions to the events, and that (especially when enhanced by the score) is where it becomes genius. If Jaws had as anywhere near as much emotionally-charged character exploration, I would have enjoyed it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Word.
    i.e. so much time spent building up the suspense only to have something that is completely unworthy of all the suspense. giant puppet sharks in Jaws, cliched aliens that are killed by water in Signs.

The only difference is, Signs isn't about the suspense, it's about the characters and their reactions to the events, and that (especially when enhanced by the score) is where it becomes genius. If Jaws had as anywhere near as much emotionally-charged character exploration, I would have enjoyed it.

YGTBFKM! dizzy shocked
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Scribe wrote

YGTBFKM! dizzy shocked

No kidding! Some opinions are just wrong!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Scribe wrote

YGTBFKM! dizzy shocked

No kidding! Some opinions are just wrong!

-Erik-

This is exactly why most people like Signs and hate Lady in the Water and yet some other people (like me) love them both equally. Because what you like about Signs is missing from LitW, and yet what I like about Signs is present in equal force in LitW.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Word.

YGTBFKM! dizzy shocked

Me too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Lair - John Debney and Kevin Kaska

I think listening to Sky Captain was the last time I this much fun listening to a score! The Civilization Theme - especially it's use in the Epilogue is probably one of the Top 3 tracks of the decade.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    I only wish this was available with better sound...the version I have is 320kbps MP3 but it sounds like it was upconverted from something like 96kbps... slant

Probably ripped from the game and re-encoded. Michael's official promo is 15 tracks with a running time of 55:36.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote

Probably ripped from the game and re-encoded. Michael's official promo is 15 tracks with a running time of 55:36.

-Erik-

Does the official promo not have track titles? Because I saw two different versions and I went for the one that had track titles...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Does the official promo not have track titles? Because I saw two different versions and I went for the one that had track titles...

Mine has no track titles.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Ok then I shall try the version that has no track titles...thanks!! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Baaria - Ennio Morricone

First listen.

The opening track "Sinfonia Per Baaria" was promising until dialogue destroyed the listening experience. I didn't even finish the 11 minute piece. How incredibly annoying! I very much enjoyed the "Ribellione" march! Now onto the gorgeous "Baaria" theme. So, besides the AWFUL dialogue intrusion in the opening track this is pretty good.

EDIT - "Lo Zoppo" = Morricone's take on Goldsmith's Gremlins Rag. biggrin

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Word.

YGTBFKM! dizzy shocked

No kidding. I first watched Jaws only a few years back (after I'd seen Signs), and I loved it. And loved it ever since! Such an entertaining film with one of my favourite scores of all time, parallel universes and multi-dimensions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    No kidding. I first watched Jaws only a few years back (after I'd seen Signs), and I loved it. And loved it ever since! Such an entertaining film with one of my favourite scores of all time, parallel universes and multi-dimensions.

Now I understand the reason for all the confusion. We are apparently talking about different films. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Clearly. The one I watched is a great film!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Maybe I accidentally saw Jaws 3D biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Timmer wrote

YGTBFKM! dizzy shocked

My thoughts exactly !
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Scribe wrote

Shure looks like it ... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Guns For San Sebastian - Ennio Morricone

Classic Morricone sound. A classic film score! The FSM release is terrific!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Guns For San Sebastian - Ennio Morricone

Classic Morricone sound. A classic film score! The FSM release is terrific!

-Erik-

This is a gorgeous score, I played it multiple times when I first received it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote

There can be no other explanation.
  1. Scribe wrote
    An excellent early score from Giacchino with all the elements of his trademark style. The theme in particular is classic Giacchino video game sound, similar to some of the subthemes from the Medal of Honor series. And the small male chorus adds an element of uniqueness.

I got it from that same website you introduced me to (including track titles). But I don't hear anything wrong with the sound. Except for one track which sounded muffled (which was a repeat track anyway), the quality was absolutely crisp and as powerful as a normal release.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.