• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    BTW, just finished listening to last years´ rerecording of El Cid.
    Sorry, but compared to this beauty, even Star Wars is crap.

uhm

-Erik-

Double uhm
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote
    QBVII Jerry Goldsmith

Who'd of thought that someone with a name like Jerry Goldsmith would be so good at composing Jewish influenced music.

Yeap. the same happen with me when I think a man with a name like jerry Goldsmith composed so good african music for The Ghost and the Darkness.... tongue spin moon slant biggrin

The same thing happened with me when I think a man with a name like David Newman composed such good comedy music for I Love Trouble.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LUST, CAUTION - Alexandre Desplat

Love this. I'm sure there's a hint of John Barry's Body Heat in this score!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP: The Joy Luck Club - Rachel Portman

This is such an unusual score for Portman in my opinion, but she does a lovely job with it. It's very emotionally charged.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

I'd say so too, i agree with you. I'd say that generally, his music bears some Barry traits / gifts.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    The choir usage is inspired and memorable and the percussion sounds bloody fantastic. Even Star Trek's recording is a far cry from this one.

Steve Smith is a great engineer!

-Erik-

Makes you wonder why his talents aren't needed anymore by Mr. Giacchino. What Star Trek could've sounded like with that man at the helm, still the only problem with that score for me.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

I'd say so too, i agree with you. I'd say that generally, his music bears some Barry traits / gifts.

Yes. And probably why his sound resonates so much with me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    The choir usage is inspired and memorable and the percussion sounds bloody fantastic. Even Star Trek's recording is a far cry from this one.

Steve Smith is a great engineer!

-Erik-

Makes you wonder why his talents aren't needed anymore by Mr. Giacchino. What Star Trek could've sounded like with that man at the helm, still the only problem with that score for me.

Well for one Smith is based out of Seattle.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

I love it too. A very sensual score, in the line of Body heat and basic instinct.
  3. Dark City (Trevor Jones)

The expanded score which is much more richer in orchestral textures and ambience, which IMO is something Trevor Jones really excels at. The main attraction remains the truly gorgeous finale and for this reason alone this will always be one of my favourite from the composer. The ending piece always manages to transport me into that magical place that belongs to the real legendary scores which have the ability to move me to tears.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Have you heard the news the other day? Some clever people have apparently invented something like this. Surely this cannot be true? I mean, a transport device, for flying sound engineers around the country? Please tell me they're only joking? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2009 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Have you heard the news the other day? Some clever people have apparently invented something like this. Surely this cannot be true? I mean, a transport device, for flying sound engineers around the country? Please tell me they're only joking? dizzy

Oh, I know. But once Michael started recording in Hollywood with Wallin he fell in love with Wallin's sound and records every score with him until... well... you know.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Stanno Tutti Bene - Ennio Morricone

I loved this when I first got it (over ten years ago, I guess) but can't remember listening to it in ages. Very good album. Wonderful opening theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    QBVII Jerry Goldsmith

Had to play this one again, it's bloody fantastic. Some of the most beautiful and scary writing from Goldsmith in one score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2009
    NP:Bourne Supremacy Complete (Powell)

What I said..Powell's best score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! punk punk punk punk punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    QBVII Jerry Goldsmith

Had to play this one again, it's bloody fantastic. Some of the most beautiful and scary writing from Goldsmith in one score.

I've asked this before but has anyone seen the TV mini series to this?
  5. Not me. I would very much like too though. Despite Goldsmith being the composer (often not a good sign of a quality film/show), I can't believe Jerry found that music in him for something that didn't deserve it. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  6. NP: When Good Ghouls Go Bad (Christopher Gordon)

This guy really is one of the best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: An Everlasting Piece - Hans Zimmer & The Jigs

I have a slight cold and my fevered brain wants something crazy and fun...
    Oh who's banging the piano on Jiggy's Last Jam?! biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Miya wrote
    NP: An Everlasting Piece - Hans Zimmer & The Jigs

IMHO, one of Zimmer's very best scores!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Haven't listened to this one yet, will check it out.

NP: 9 - Deborah Lurie and Danny Elfman

Very enjoyable score with great action tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

lol
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    BTW, just finished listening to last years´ rerecording of El Cid.
    Sorry, but compared to this beauty, even Star Wars is crap.

uhm

-Erik-

Double uhm

I´m sorry if I hurt your feelings. biggrin

It´s just the whole package; it´s pitch perfect. The sound, the sheer massive power, the completeness, the length, the score itself, the booklet, the themes, the variations on the themes, the utter perfection of the rerecording ... This really, really is a fantastic CD.

Given the same treatment, The Empire strikes back (not A New Hope) might have a chance of catching up or surpassing this CD of El Cid.

Deal?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    A good thing about catching a cold and taking a rest is, I can have time to repeat a whole album. smile

NP: The Shawshank Redemption - Thomas Newman

By listening to the whole album I'm more impressed by the contrast of "light and shadow" on this score. Dark, suppressed tone of Stoic Theme or Brooks Was Here represents hopeless life in the prison, which makes the emotional theme on the finale (also appeared briefly in Suds On The Roof) more hopeful, and beautiful.

I also love the Celtic feel of fiddles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone - John Williams

It's good music. Lots of beautiful cues. Memorable themes. I enjoy it on the album, even though it's just not what I expected for Harry Potter world.

And when listening to this score, I can't help imagining Captain Hook walking down the Hogwarts stairs, or an alien and a boy on bicycle flying over the Castle, or Macaulay Culkin screaming at Bloody Baron... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I watched the film again some time ago and was surprised to see how many times Hedwig's theme was used in it. I think about half of the score consists of it! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    It´s just the whole package; it´s pitch perfect. The sound, the sheer massive power, the completeness, the length, the score itself, the booklet, the themes, the variations on the themes, the utter perfection of the rerecording ... This really, really is a fantastic CD.

I agree. But I don't care how good El Cid is Star Wars should never be considered crap.

Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Given the same treatment, The Empire strikes back (not A New Hope) might have a chance of catching up or surpassing this CD of El Cid.

Deal?

The only issue with the original Star Wars scores are the AWFUL remastering jobs of the RCA Special Editions. So bad remastering put aside all of the other postitive comments you gave to El Cid can be applied to the Star Wars scores as well.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    So bad remastering put aside all of the other postitive comments you gave to El Cid can be applied to the Star Wars scores as well.

Exactly. I thought Ralph gave a great description of the Star Wars scores!
  7. I like John Williams more, but I'd have to admit Rozsa is the stronger composer.
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

I agree. But I don't care how good El Cid is Star Wars should never be considered crap.

Ralph Kruhm wrote

Deal?

The only issue with the original Star Wars scores are the AWFUL remastering jobs of the RCA Special Editions. So bad remastering put aside all of the other postitive comments you gave to El Cid can be applied to the Star Wars scores as well.

-Erik-

I find El Cid not as constantly engaging as Star Wars, of which I love literally each track in the score. El Cid has too much filler music as far as I'm concerned. Star Wars is filler-free !

You really think the mastering is bad on those SE's Erik? I never gave it a second thought. Too me it has always sounded exceptionally stunning, even better and more powerful than the newer trilogy. Maybe I should take some hearing lessons. smile