• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2009
    NP: Earth Days - Michael Giacchino
    I am two tracks in and so far it is surprisingly more emotional than I thought it would be. It is definitely low-key, but the comments on here led me to believe it would be a little bit more boringly Phillip Glass-like than it actually is. It's very pretty in parts, and a lot more consistent than Land of the Lost (I compare the two only because they are the "lesser" of the five million new Giacchino albums released this year.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Antineutrino wrote
    Southall wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Sicilian Clan - Ennio Morricone

I don't know how many years I've had this CD (ten?) - and I don't think I've ever listened to it before! shame

Why... why... why..? What a theme! Even Steven might like it.

Wow! This is absolutely incredible.

Boing.

Eirbus.

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

That 'boing' is so annoying. Ruins the music for me.

....said Even Steven biggrin

*woosh*

That was the sound of that joke going straight over my head.
  1. You know, with something like over 300(?) Morricone scores, maybe the fanbase should take on a huge project by making 5 to 10 minute suites from each score, and putting each sutie somewhere (like YouTube), so those who are interested can hear ones by the maestro they never have -- including ones you can't find samples for at any CD site.

One hell of an undertaking, but it would be worth it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    justin boggan wrote
    You know, with something like over 300(?) Morricone scores, maybe the fanbase should take on a huge project by making 5 to 10 minute suites from each score, and putting each sutie somewhere (like YouTube), so those who are interested can hear ones by the maestro they never have -- including ones you can't find samples for at any CD site.

One hell of an undertaking, but it would be worth it.

It would be worth it for people like me who love what little they've heard of him, but are too afraid to risk wasting money on scores that will have 10 minutes of beauty and 30 minutes of unpleasant weirdness.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Southall wrote
    Quiemada - Ennio Morricone

Another film I'd like to see, even though it has a poor reputation, just to see what the hell kind of film could inspire incredible music like this.

Now listening to this for the third time today. Wow. Incredible.
  2. Nautilus wrote
    NP:Star Trek First Contact.

I'm addicted to "the dish". i find it boring for a lot of years, but from one year from now I really like the sound, specially this kind of blaster beam and the metallic percusion. I find it very close to the original star trek score.

the rest of the shorts action tracks by Jerry are really, really great. too bad the rest if by his son (I know he has a lot of fans here).

How this days I'm a little bit sensible, the "first contact" cue really touches me!

There's a lot to look forward to then! wink

Seriously though, great cue!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Baaria (Morricone)

Having now played it all... it's a score on the level of Cefalonia or Il Cuore nel Pozzo. Good, solid stuff. Wouldn't quite say great. The highlights: the main theme & the tarantella (evocative of the tarantella of his that closes INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS so memorably).

The opening track is the only thing I'd criticise. The 13 minute piece starts out well, feeling like an overture/summary of sorts. The use of Sardinian vocalists is a particularly nice touch that I've not heard in Morricone before (and it doesn't appear elsewhere in this score). Then a few minutes in the random moments of dialogue and sound effects start. And there seems to be no logic to it. It gets too annoying to listen to after a while. I'm sure there's good music there, but I'll be skipping it in future.

Thanks for the quick summary! Too bad about that long cue with sound effects. But I guess it would be very rare to not have the routine of 1 or 2 bizarre cues in every Morricone cd.
    I think I hit Morricone-saturation a year or two ago. I seldom listen to his scores now. La Sconosciuta was terrific (even if the suspense stuff was a bit too much). And Pane E Liberta was a delightful melodic throwback.
    I'll pick this one up even if it's like taking a trip to one's childhood place-- you'll see some new faces for sure, but a lot of it will be familiar.
  3. It's definitely worth getting. It's not MISSION TO MARS / LEGEND OF 1900 / NOSTROMO good, but it is good.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

That 'boing' is so annoying. Ruins the music for me.

....said Even Steven biggrin

*woosh*

That was the sound of that joke going straight over my head.

I can't even remember what my point was? shame

*sound of crickets*
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    WP: The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor - Randy Edelman and John Debney

Love the themes. Underrated in my opinion.

NP: X-Men: The Last Stand - John Powell

For a long time I was addicted to this score, but then I stopped listening to it for what feels forever. Now that I am playing it again, I can once again appreciate the wonderful themes and epicness.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Southall wrote

Another film I'd like to see, even though it has a poor reputation, just to see what the hell kind of film could inspire incredible music like this.

You have my attention. Is this an older score?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Panthera wrote
    WP: The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor - Randy Edelman and John Debney

Love the themes. Underrated in my opinion.

Debney's material is good... Edelman's is vomit

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:The Golden Compass (Desplat)

the mix of intimate european style of composition with big and powerful moments makes a really interesting listening experience.

This score transports me into the christmas season.
  4. Nautilus wrote

... from whose bourne, no traveller returns.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Southall wrote

You have my attention. Is this an older score?

1969. Aka "Burn!" (with Marlon Brando).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote

I went shopping yesterday to buy a couple of new shirts and noticed one shop already has all their Christmas cards and decorations out. In September!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    I went shopping yesterday to buy a couple of new shirts and noticed one shop already has all their Christmas cards and decorations out. In September!

Sick!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sick indeed! What some people are able to do for money....!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

slant I've also noticed this in TV adverts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Slumdog Millionaire - A.R Rahman

Addicted to Mausam & Escape today. punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote

bhangra cool

NP : nothing
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote

bhangra cool

NP : nothing

No need to when you can imagine the brilliance of Slumdog in your head!
  5. What's rubbish for one guy, can be quite cool for the next...

Halo 3: ODST (O'Donnell & Salvatori)

It's growing on me. Though not for the pure ambient tracks, but for the more melodic cues which inhabit the main themes (the new ones, as well as the various nods to past Halo's). The action-oriented material is again very focused on percussive layers of repetitive synth drums, but I like that anyway, as it's very similar to the duo's other music from the Halo universe, without reaching Halo 3's orchestral kick-in-the-ass level. This isn't for everyone, but then again (game) music hardly ever is... Give me this over anything recent by that Tyler guy...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2009
    Oi, tell that to Sunil, HE started it! tongue

lol
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DreamTheater wrote
    What's rubbish for one guy, can be quite cool for the next...

Halo 3: ODST (O'Donnell & Salvatori)

It's growing on me. Though not for the pure ambient tracks, but for the more melodic cues which inhabit the main themes (the new ones, as well as the various nods to past Halo's). The action-oriented material is again very focused on percussive layers of repetitive synth drums, but I like that anyway, as it's very similar to the duo's other music from the Halo universe, without reaching Halo 3's orchestral kick-in-the-ass level. This isn't for everyone, but then again (game) music hardly ever is... Give me this over anything recent by that Tyler guy...

Once you feel you've got your value for money from it, put it down, put something like Krull, Raiders or Cutthroat Island in.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DT, Game music can be so much more than synth drones. Give me Knut Avenstroup Haugen's AGE OF CONAN: HYBORIAN ADVENTURES anyday.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Giving Rozsa's Last Embrace a first spin. The sound is pretty awful really but I'm expecting the score to be worth suffering through it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Hamlet - Ennio Morricone

I love it more by each listen. At first the tension tracks annoyed me and I loved only the melodic tracks, mostly the two renaissance-flavoured titles. But now I kind of enjoy even the tension music in Hamlet. You have to be in the mood, I guess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    ...Knut Avenstroup Haugen's...

What a great name! biggrin